The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP1 - new user viewpoint

7ian7

Thanks for that link. Since I can relate to the vibe of his conversions or pp, it makes it easier for me to believe that the DP1 is an impressive advance among small cameras. I also appreciate his lack of any hard sell.

Brian Mosley

That's a nice little review, and I too appreciate the honest impressions of a working photographer.

I thought the manual focusing was very good indeed - I think I'd use it more often than not, especially for still subjects. This could reduce the lag times which frustrated the reviewer.

Kind Regards

Brian

H

helgipelgi

Love the colors and the smooth tones -- the train station photo almost looks like film.

Too bad I already have more compact cameras than I know what to do with :eek:

otumay

Here is a brief user review with photos of the first 24 hours with the DP1 - pros and cons.
http://saidkarlsson.com/blog/?page_id=177
Many thanks for your sample shots. I think I now made my decision on whether I should buy a DP-1 or not: I recently bought a Ricoh GR-DII and use it for b+w extensively. I also have a Sigma SD 14. This puts me in a rather unique position about the DP-1. I love the vivid colours of the Foveon sensor in the Sigma, but as you've pointed out, the jpegs are usually not good. This means that I shall stick to my Ricoh in the near future for street photography and resort to taking RAW shots with the SD 14 when I feel the urge.
Thanks again,
Osman

Martin S

It is a shame that this concept of a PS sized body with a full sized sensor seems to be hobbled by slow AF and write speeds.
Sigma had a real opportunity to design and produce a real innovative product which may now be too compromised for real world use.

I will wait for a full review before making a decision to buy, or pass.

Martin

V

VladimirV

The DP1 in my opinion has the same problem that the F30 had, great sensor but shame about the rest.

Terry

The DP1 in my opinion has the same problem that the F30 had, great sensor but shame about the rest.
Same thing on the Fuji's for me. I bought the F20 as a low light backup and never use it. Most annoying small camera I've used. The interface just drives me nuts.

otumay

Same thing on the Fuji's for me. I bought the F20 as a low light backup and never use it. Most annoying small camera I've used. The interface just drives me nuts.
How right you are. Both Sigma and Fuji deserve criticism for their awkward menus. But image-wise, my F31 sometimes delivers.

Lili

I had a a Fuji F31fd and really liked the images it made.
Except I could not change sharpening.
And, as has been stated, the interface was very awkward.
I fianlly gave it to my best friend for her birthday.
She adores it.
:)
Is the DP-1 as bad?
Has anyone played with it directly?

BTW my S6000fd has the same sensor and allows much more control with a better interface.
Bigger camera tho.
Thats what I shot my Downtown Dallas work on

V

VladimirV

Is the DP-1 as bad?
Has anyone played with it directly?
I played with it and did not like it at all and would say it's worse than the F30. It has no Adj. or Function button so to change ISO or WB you need to go to the menu (It does not allow for direct b&w shooting or anything else more "advanced"). The menu responds slow and it is light blue/white over a live image so you might not be able to see properly until you point the camera to something dark.
To change exposure you need to press the EV button and then use the left/right arrows. For shutter speed it's with the left/right arows when in manual mode and apreture is by pressing the EV button first.
Changing focus mode is easy with the up arrow and the same goes for flash with the down arrow. Changing the focus point is again going through the menu and maybe go down till the 2nd page depending on what you want to change.
The zoom buttons do nothing other than enable digital zoom or zoom during playback so are useless for most of the time. Here I really hope that Sigma provides a firmware update to assign them a different task like Ricoh did.

Lili

I played with it and did not like it at all and would say it's worse than the F30. It has no Adj. or Function button so to change ISO or WB you need to go to the menu (It does not allow for direct b&w shooting or anything else more "advanced"). The menu responds slow and it is light blue/white over a live image so you might not be able to see properly until you point the camera to something dark.
To change exposure you need to press the EV button and then use the left/right arrows. For shutter speed it's with the left/right arows when in manual mode and apreture is by pressing the EV button first.
Changing focus mode is easy with the up arrow and the same goes for flash with the down arrow. Changing the focus point is again going through the menu and maybe go down till the 2nd page depending on what you want to change.
The zoom buttons do nothing other than enable digital zoom or zoom during playback so are useless for most of the time. Here I really hope that Sigma provides a firmware update to assign them a different task like Ricoh did.

EW, so the only good points are the lens, big sensor and scale focus dials?
Not enough in my book...

Brian Mosley

Yes, good summary Vladimir - as I said, it has a distinctly 'beta' feel about it... although all these issues should be addressed by firmware upgrades, it's just a shame they are starting so far behind. Pity they couldn't just clone the Ricoh UI! lol

Kind Regards

Brian

H

Hypnohare

Pity they couldn't just clone the Ricoh UI! lol

Kind Regards

Brian
My sentiments exactly! IQ is obviously important. But it is the UI that to me makes the camera fun and instinctive to use.

I wish somebody would make a small camera with the overall UI of the Ricoh, The ISO dial of the Canon G9 and the Focus wheel of the DP1. Is that too much to ask? :)

Brian Mosley

No, not at all too much to ask... are these design teams working in a vacuum? there's nothing wrong in imitating success :)

Kind Regards

Brian