The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Holidays in Croatia

pollobarca

For the holidays this year a week in Croatia, I've just changed jobs so not much time available. Things started well enough but first day on the beach I slipped coming out of the shower. 5 stitches in my head and 2 xrays put a stop to swimming. Luckily I had my cameras with me!
Croatian hospitals are ok BTW.

A few shots:-
This with the gx100, I waited for the lady on the left to fill the space. Got lucky with the shadows including mine.

Here i used the Nikon wce68 converter on the gx100:-

Porec town centre

Got lucky again, a very boring picture and this boy run into the scene and made it nice ( well I think so),GX100

rest of the pictures (more comng up ) at http://www.flickr.com/photos/pollobarca/sets/72157622042165755/

all the best

paul

O

Oxide Blu

The guy laying down in your first image looks like me -- every night, about 10pm, after the bourbon settles in. :D

The second to last image, the building, is very nice, my fav of the four. :thumbup:

I've been wanting to go to Croatia but I'm not sure if it is safe for Americans.

Don Ellis

These are great, Paul. One of the pleasures of photography is being able to see places you may never be. I like the flip-flops in the second photo, the third photo is my favourite, but the fourth photo is just lovely. As you said, the boy makes it.

Thanks for these,
Don

pollobarca

Thanks Oxide Blu and thanks Don,

Croatia is perfectly safe for USA citizens. Weather is great, ,sea is marvellous and full of fish, food and wine great and prices very good. Only the ice cream was more expensive than Italy. Even getting my Ford looked at under guarantee was ok .
Naturists are very welcome too. Not for me but if you like running around naked Croatia is the place.
All the best

paul

Will

I like all of them but for me the the parasol and flipflops shot is the best. A lot of really god ones on your flickr set as well.
I've been wondering about Croatia for a holiday with the family and seeing these images makes it very tempting.

pollobarca

Thanks Will,
jump in to Croatia, you'll enjoy it. No booking required as its like greece and you can stay in private housing easily and cheaply.

I was lucky with the Parasol shot, she'd ( the sun bather) left it all just right.
People are very relaxed in Croatia and photography is no problem on the beaches.

b rgds

paul

pollobarca

Thanks Wayne,

First pic should read lady on the right. I think my head is still recovering from the slip!

Insanity - now a country has been divided up with customs posts and frontiers.
Everyone else in Europe wanted less frontiers, Serbs and Croats wanted them!
A croatian friend was fined and had his licence suspended for speeding through a minefield last year (limit is 40kmh).
Some things from Tito's time remain throughout the territory of former Yugoslavia.
Notably the portions in restaurants. There were and still are strict laws (and customs?)
about portion size. Result is that you eat once a day.
Here are a couple of shots from Belgrade , I went for work some time ago and didnt do much photography.
Floating Restaurant on the Danube

Starters - better known as hor'doevres or Antipasto.Great Serbian ham and cheeses.

all the best

paul

Tim

Paul, that image of the ship is magic. Great reflections fill the frame well.

sizifo

These images are making me nostalgic. I'm croatian, and haven't been back in the summertime for a few years.

I'm not so familiar with the north part of the coastline - but if you get a chance a trip to mainland istria is a good thing to do. Many picturesque small medieval towns, and great restaurants.

Generally, I find the nature in the south more beautiful, but the quality of hotels restaurants etc. better in the north (with the exception of a few places e.g. Dubrovnik).

>Insanity - now a country has been divided up with customs posts and frontiers.
>Everyone else in Europe wanted less frontiers, Serbs and Croats wanted them!

Well, that's probably an oversimplification (and not accurate consider e.g. the country whose capital is also the capital of europe http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007–2008_Belgian_government_formation :) ). I agree it would in principle be better to have fewer borders, but it is a small price to pay if it keeps things peaceful. On the other hand, the similarities of the people in the region are bringing the countries closer together in many ways, so a confederation or something of the kind may come about in the future.

Just to dispel some myths:

>I've been wanting to go to Croatia but I'm not sure if it is safe for Americans.

Croatia is as safe (for any nationality I can think of) as Italy, Spain, Portugal... General services, hospitals, police, etc. are comparable.

>great to see after the absolute insanity of the 90's.
It's worth pointing out that only relatively small parts of the country were directly impacted by the war. The indirect influences were of course large.

pollobarca

Thanks Tim, its a good restaurant too!

Sizifo, Lord knows what happened early 90's But it seems all peaceful now. Hopefully Croatia will be in the EU soon and the frontiers will come down again.

I made a lot of trips to Zagreb for work over the last few years. Always enjoyed the place and the people. I have never had a problem in Croatia. Idem Ljubljana in Slovenia.

Glad you are enjoying the pictures- I will be loading more soon, as I couldnt swim I was snapping!

b rgds

paul

pollobarca

A few more from Croatia:
Another shot across the water GX100.

On the beach, used the Nikon wce68 converter on the GX100

This one I held the camera upside down over my head , flipped out the EVF.
Nikon wce68 again on the gx100.

Inside the Basilica in Porec , used the little Manfrotto Modo Pocket to hold the camera

all the best

paul

ZoranC

Northern part (Istra, where Porec is) is nice, but you owe it to yourself to venture deeper south down the Dalmatian Coast, toward region around Split, islands of Hvar and Brac, and beauty of Dubrovnik.

pollobarca

ZoranC,
my good friend in Zagreb tells me the same and I will do so next year. Really its been a question of health, I dont feel up to the drive or the ferry from Ancona. Now we have more confidence we will just take it slow from Trieste as far as we can get south.
This year my holidays were limited to seven days so a nice slow drive wasn't possible.
Hope you enjoyed the pix

b rgds

paul

DjordjeJ

Paul very nice pictures. I am from Belgrade, and here is same boat You took. My picture is taken two years ago with Nikon D50:

and one more:

pollobarca

Lucky you, Belgrade is a great town, I only saw it for 24hrs mainly in the airport and Holiday Inn.I'll go back someday. Your pix are like mine, I also took one of the Prow of the boat but I didnt like the way it came out. We had a great meal and drinks on this boat. Also Belgrade must have one of the highest concentrations of beautiful women there is! Or was that the drinks....

all the best

paul

ZoranC

ZoranC,
my good friend in Zagreb tells me the same and I will do so next year. Really its been a question of health, I dont feel up to the drive or the ferry from Ancona. Now we have more confidence we will just take it slow from Trieste as far as we can get south.
This year my holidays were limited to seven days so a nice slow drive wasn't possible.
Hope you enjoyed the pix

b rgds

paul
Thank you for the beautiful pictures, I enjoyed them very much :)

FYI, Split is major airport and Dubrovnik has airport too.