The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

4:3 vs. 3:2 vs 16:9 - how much influence?

nostatic

Toland is amazing. Just to reiterate Christopher Doyle (and Andrew Lau Wai-Keung), if you haven't seen any of Wong Kar Wai's work, it is highly recommended. Chungking Express is probably my favorite, but 2046 is another good example. He really captures the essence of life in Hong Kong, and his framing in hallways and doorways to give a feeling of the cramped nature of the city is quite moving. It is interesting to see how one can convey a vertical city in a largely wide/horizontal medium.

C

Christi Mac

@nostatic - I keep meaning to watch 2046, thanks for reminding me - it's now on my rental list :)

@thomas - Thanks for letting me know how that system works - to be honest I think that would do the job nicely for me. I'm also beginning to think that I'm going to end up with a Ricoh AND a panaleica ;). Looks Like I'm going to have to postpone my plans for that nice Oly E-3.

S

Sun

Ya 2046 is really artistic.. though the storyline (for me) was a little off-putting. Anyways
thats just me.. ;)