The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Antique Flyby

Lili

I was surprised during my lunchtime walk by the deep growl of big engines.
Looked up and just had time to catch these. The kind of target-of-opportunity shot is what the bridgecams like the Fuji were made for!

S6000fd

Lili

Wayne, you flew? In any or all of these? I do not think they are WW2 birds but perhaps later?

Will

Nice shots Lili.
My cousin flies a ex Yugoslav fighter plane based on a WW2 Russian design and she would probably know.
Sorry but my inner boy geek will need to identify them if it can :D

I think one of them might be a Vietnam war era sky raider or British Navy ww2 Sea fury?

Last edited:

Lili

Nice shots Lili.
My cousin flies a ex Yugoslav fighter plane based on a WW2 Russian design and she would probably know.
Sorry but my inner boy geek will need to identify them if it can :D

I think one of them might be a Vietnam war era sky raider or British Navy ww2 Sea fury?
Thanks Will! I am curious about these craft, the sound of all of them so close was awesome. Too late did recall the S6000 has quite decent video mode (and a manual zoom ring to boot)!

kweide

Warbirds... wowo
But my fav is P-38 Lightning. So beautiful, elegant, fast, and the sound is rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

MikeScecina

Workshop Member
Nice catch, Lili.
First picture from left to right: T-28 Trojan, A-1 Skyraider, OV-1 Mohawk, T-6 Texan/Harvard

Lili

Thanks Mike for clearing that up.My Dad was Air Force so I lived around planes all my life. One thing I recall clearly was an Air Show where a P-47 Jug made a low and fast and LOUD pass.
I will never forget that sound!!!
Klaus, thanks I would love to see a Lightning in action

Lili

Will,
in the wee hours of the morning,
"My cousin flies a ex Yugoslav fighter plane based on a WW2 Russian design and she would probably know"
didn't parse.
I am mostly awake now
that is sooo cool!!!!
I love the Russian planes of the Great Patriotic War. I sometimes game in IL2 Sturmovik, and, to be historically accurate, fly Soviet planes.
They were the only major combatant to field all female flight wings.
577, 578 and 579th IIRC.
The little Yakovlev are my fav ride ;)

Will

I will have to find out more details about her airplane. I don't see her often but next time I do I'll ask.

My favorite plane (apart from the Spitfire of course!) was the English Electric Lightning interceptor which I first saw flying at an air show at North Weald in about 1964. It came in low quite slow and then with a burst of huge flames from its engines went vertical over the runway straight up out of sight like a rocket. I've never heard anything like it since. For a five year old boy it was true love at first sight.
Link to a really amusing 1960's film about the planes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNtIRl_FOn4&feature=related

Last edited:

smokysun

no, lili, never flew, though as a kid i read a series of historical novels about the birth of aviation. thought about being a pilot. didn't have that kind of focus. but i remember standing in line with ration cards and collecting old tires. and i saw a lot of newsreels. germany invaded norway the week i was born. my father later went into the army as a chaplain. in the fifties we lived in germany and i played in old bunkers and on abandoned airfields.

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

Will

Lili, as promised I've found out more about my cousin Angela's planes. She owns a Yak 11 a Yak 50 and a Yak 52. The Yak 11 is the real powerful fighter plane which makes a tremendous noise when she occasionally flies past us. My children used to run out into th garden and wave whenever they heard it!

Lili

Will, awesome planes Angela has.
I used to live near an airport in Fort Worth. There was a guy there building reproduction warbirds; I will never forget the day I heard a snarling engine sound and looked up to see a biplane with enclosed cockpit and retractable gear...a repro Grumman USN fighter of the 20's!