The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Where's Jono Slack??

dhsimmonds

As some may know, Jono has been absent from this Sony section for far too long!

In fact, rumour has it that he has defected, hopefully temporarily, to the Leica section and LUF where he has been very busy beta testing and reporting on the new Leica M9 rangefinder. I have just read his very good report in LFI magazine as well....well done Jono.

The M9 is a very different beast to the Sony a900, a different tool doing a different job usually. However there is an overlap at the wide to mid range focal lengths and it would be nice to know how the a900 with a good Zeiss lens at 12 bit colour depth and 24.8 mpx compares with the M9 at 14 bit and 18mpx with Leica M prime lenses.

Now I hope that I haven't put you on the spot Jono, but how about it?

edwardkaraa

Hahaha, nice post Dave :)

I believe Jono has been shooting Leica Ms for long, even before buying into the Sony/Zeiss system. Once he gets bored with his new expensive toy, I'm sure we will see him more often over here.

It definitely would be interesting to see some comparisons, just for curiosity sake, since in real life context, the 2 systems have very few overlapping uses.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
He has run away with a new bride from Solmes I am afraid.
I hear that she has sisters, but that they are only coming out a few at a time, so you will have to wait in line.

Eoin

I think we were but mere mistresses to Jono, His true love (M) has finally seduced him by revealing the true glory of all her assets (lenses). But don't worry, Jono's a bit of a player :) when it comes to cameras, when the novelty of M's new trick wears off he'll be back to sony to satisfy the lusts M can't quell. :p

mwalker

Subscriber Member
I would still like to see a M9-Sony comparison. Make him choose the wife or the mistress. :D Of course in Europe its ok to have both...gotta love the Europeans........

Last edited:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I would still like to see a M9-Sony comparison. Make him choose the wife or the mistress. :D Of corse in Europe its ok to have both...gotta love the Europeans........
I think it may just be more ok to admit to it. LOL

dhsimmonds

Ah, so that's it then. A new bride in the offing with a big dowry on promise....or has the brides's "father" paid the bridegroom to take her away?

jonoslack

Hey you guys
I'm a true European, and therefore, with respect to cameras, I can have as many mistresses as I want!

(with respect to wives I can too . . . . . as long as I have no problems with the wrong end of my dear old father in law's shotgun wielded by the delightful Emma) :deadhorse: and :banghead: would be nothing in comparison to the vengeance of the lovely lady!

My A900 is cuddled up in it's black Fogg bag with the Zeiss lenses, it was last used thoroughly in the weddings I did back in July, and, yes, I have been busy testing the M9, then I've been busy going on holiday, and now I'm busy catching up!

As for the comparison. I'd quite like to know the answer as well, I can only really do a comparison against the 24-70 or else a couple of Sony primes (don't have a 135 leica . . although, if someone wants to donate . .. )

Trouble with those comparisons is that they always get up somebody's nose. . . and then the somebody get's up my nose :ROTFL:

Right, back on my head!

jonoslack

I think we were but mere mistresses to Jono, His true love (M) has finally seduced him by revealing the true glory of all her assets (lenses). But don't worry, Jono's a bit of a player :) when it comes to cameras, when the novelty of M's new trick wears off he'll be back to sony to satisfy the lusts M can't quell. :p
Hah, I might be a true European, but love you as I do Eoin, I draw the line at referring to you as a mistress!:bugeyes::eek:

You're probably right about the rest of it though. :)

edwardkaraa

Welcome back Jono! Hope you enjoyed the holidays, and the Honeymoon :ROTFL:

It would be nice to see comparisons, and I don't think they would get up somebody's nose around here, as long as the A900 wins by a margin. Just don't show the results on the Leica forum :D

jonoslack

Welcome back Jono! Hope you enjoyed the holidays, and the Honeymoon :ROTFL:

It would be nice to see comparisons, and I don't think they would get up somebody's nose around here, as long as the A900 wins by a margin. Just don't show the results on the Leica forum :D
:ROTFL:
Exactly! But what if it's the other way around? Or the same?
Where do I post them then?

dhsimmonds

Great to have you back Jono. You have obviously enjoyed your dalliances during your absences!

You won't get up our noses as we know what's right for us.;)

Not sure about the Leica lot though!:deadhorse:

As a member of the Leica Fellowship I do see quite a lot of very good images taken with both film and digital Leica's as large prints and projected. That's not the whole story though as I also know that the A900/Zeiss lens partnership can compete with both M8 and DMR produced images but have not yet seen it pitched against the M9!!

It's all a bit of highly subjective fun really and that's what this forum is all about whichever side you bat for.:thumbs:

At the end of the day it's horses for courses and what suits one doesn't always suit another.

Eoin

...but love you as I do Eoin, I draw the line at referring to you as a mistress!:bugeyes::eek:
The "we" perhaps was the wrong word, but you knew I meant Sony. However the love you speak of for me ......... has me a little worried, is there something you want to tell me? :ROTFL:

Good to see you back in good form and well done!.:thumbup:

jonoslack

The "we" perhaps was the wrong word, but you knew I meant Sony. However the love you speak of for me ......... has me a little worried, is there something you want to tell me? :ROTFL:
Purely platonic mate . . . don't give it a second thought:angel:

Good to see you back in good form and well done!.:thumbup:
Thank you - it's good to be back (there does seem to be rather a lot to do though - at the moment I'm trying to catch up with 387 emails :wtf: and process 1000 shots from Crete ASAP) . . . it's a gruelling business especially as I'm compelled to go and play horses with the boss at least every other day (I'm perfecting my 'on horse' M9 technique with the test camera before I have to spend money on my own!):thumbs:

jonoslack

Great to have you back Jono. You have obviously enjoyed your dalliances during your absences!

You won't get up our noses as we know what's right for us.;)

Not sure about the Leica lot though!:deadhorse:

As a member of the Leica Fellowship I do see quite a lot of very good images taken with both film and digital Leica's as large prints and projected. That's not the whole story though as I also know that the A900/Zeiss lens partnership can compete with both M8 and DMR produced images but have not yet seen it pitched against the M9!!

It's all a bit of highly subjective fun really and that's what this forum is all about whichever side you bat for.:thumbs:

At the end of the day it's horses for courses and what suits one doesn't always suit another.
I'm terrified of everyone at the moment.
What with having been accused of posting 'uneven' images on the website for the M9 stuff.
Having my quotes in LFI translated to German before being translated back to English (still accurate but they make me sound like some kind of pedantic git)

Then someone doing a list of the M9 reviews marking mine as - doesn't count.

I'm feeling sensitive . . . and more bashing might just make me feel like the dead horse!

Robert Campbell

Having my quotes in LFI translated to German before being translated back to English (still accurate but they make me sound like some kind of pedantic git)
I can only get the German version, and I thought you came over very well, enthusiastic but certainly not as a pedant.

V

Vivek

"Uneven".

Jono, One day you show horses, the other day, chickens, next some rape seed fields and some fancy hotel interior....you are all over the place (I think that is what he blogged initially, IIRC, then changed to "uneven").:D

Does that person even fondles a camera nowadays?!

Please don't give a damn about that. Blogchair critic (not sure if he has a chair with arms..).:thumbdown: