The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Where's Jono Slack??

jonoslack

I can only get the German version, and I thought you came over very well, enthusiastic but certainly not as a pedant.
HI Robert
Well, I'm glad of that - I certainly don't have complaints (of course I didn't agree with their photo selection, but that's a different matter). It certainly is accurate but:

At first I was worried I'd discover inferior sharpness in the periphery of the image, but that was unfounded.

See what I mean!

jonoslack

"Uneven".

Jono, One day you show horses, the other day, chickens, next some rape seed fields and some fancy hotel interior....you are all over the place (I think that is what he blogged initially, IIRC, then changed to "uneven").:D

Does that person even fondles a camera nowadays?!

Please don't give a damn about that. Blogchair critic (not sure if he has a chair with arms..).:thumbdown:
Thank you Vivek. Despite the clownish exterior I am, like most of us, a sensitive soul at heart. I really do care about my photographs as well (childish though that certainly is!).

Robert Campbell

At first I was worried I'd discover inferior sharpness in the periphery of the image, but that was unfounded.

See what I mean!
I had to check the 'original' --
Anfangs hatte ich Sorge, das grössere Sensorformat wurde mit Schärfeverlusten am Rand erkauft, aber dies war gänzlich unbegründet.
-- and the translation back into english is incomplete. And I had problems with 'inferior' because I understood it to mean 'at the bottom' so I wondered why the unsharpness was only there and not at the top...
I had the same problem with 'lateral chromatic abberation' until I realised that 'lateral' didn't mean at the side, but off-axis.

I get to translate technical papers from german to english at times -- sometimes they come 'ready translated' but they are then literal word-for-word transliterations -- it's quite easy to back translate. Usually, I end up having to rewrite the whole manuscript...there is a significant step level of difficulty between speaking a language and writing it, specially for technical papers as there are expressions and usages which are not directly translatable.

I recently read a book about a swiss artist that referred to 'little masters' -- by which they actually meant miniaturists -- though it puzzled me at first -- I imagined they were dwarfs.

Robert Campbell

I'm terrified of everyone at the moment.
What with having been accused of posting 'uneven' images on the website for the M9 stuff.
I didn't understand what 'uneven' referred to -- the technicalities or the composition. But I would expect any real-life review to be 'uneven' -- showing the good and the could-be-improved -- a Cromwellian warts and all approach rather than a eulogy -- and I thought you were sucessful because it was 'uneven' rather than despite being 'uneven'.

mwalker

Subscriber Member
What with having been accused of posting 'uneven' images on the website for the M9 stuff.
Having my quotes in LFI translated to German before being translated back to English (still accurate but they make me sound like some kind of pedantic git)

Then someone doing a list of the M9 reviews marking mine as - doesn't count.

I'm feeling sensitive . . . and more bashing might just make me feel like the dead horse!
ahh screw them :thumbdown: Your review pushed me over the edge to buy a M9 not theirs.

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Thank you Vivek. Despite the clownish exterior I am, like most of us, a sensitive soul at heart. I really do care about my photographs as well (childish though that certainly is!).

Of course, you should, Jono. Without passion there is no photography.

Robert put it very well. :thumbup:

As Walker says....:ROTFL:

dhsimmonds

Jono, your skin is thick enough so just don't bother about it.

In fact I put up a robust defence of Andrew Chan's M9 review over at LUF as he was being slated by the Leica fan club for just telling it as he saw it and the overall review was extremely positive for the M9 in my view!! He just had the temerity of pointing out general differences between RF and SLR photography on a Leica forum!:wtf:

Poor old Sean had to hint at all sorts of things before they left him alone after his M9 review, so you are doing OK mate!

As Guy will testify, there are some absolute nuts out there and he has had years of experience practically reviewing Leica gear and other stuff via internet forums.

The silent majority benefit from these writings but as always it is the vocal minority that tend to try and put there own bias on things. Unfortunately, it was ever thus.

This forum is different as we are well behaved even though we can and do have different opinions on things which is healthy.

So just don't worry about posting your comparison shots here.

dhsimmonds

An interesting field review of the M9 versus A900 and Canon 24Mpx cameras is over at Michael Reichmann's Luminous Landscape http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/m9-paris.shtml

This answers in part one of my questions posed in this thread although as he used a 50mm prime in each case and the Leica 50mm is a stellar optic I doubt if the Sony or Minolta 50mm would ever compete! The Sigma 50/1.4 on the A900 might have though!:rolleyes:

Never the less it is a good review and the Leica with it's 14 bit colour depth and superior optics only just seemed to nose in front of the Sony with it's 12 bit images.

The Leica is of course a different tool and used to do a different job. It is also nearly 3 times more expensive and limited on it's applications!

So all in all, hold on to your A900's; but secretly I would still like an M9 as well!:salute:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Having my quotes in LFI translated to German before being translated back to English (still accurate but they make me sound like some kind of pedantic git)

Then someone doing a list of the M9 reviews marking mine as - doesn't count.

I'm feeling sensitive . . . and more bashing might just make me feel like the dead horse!
I agree , you where slighted elsewhere for sure but never here among friends. Welcome to the club my friend. :wtf:

End of the day it's the friends that count and the respect shown, nothing else matters. Frankly with that I pretty much stopped posting anywhere else for that matter, I find it simply is not worth my effort at the end of the day.

douglasf13

An interesting field review of the M9 versus A900 and Canon 24Mpx cameras is over at Michael Reichmann's Luminous Landscape http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/m9-paris.shtml

This answers in part one of my questions posed in this thread although as he used a 50mm prime in each case and the Leica 50mm is a stellar optic I doubt if the Sony or Minolta 50mm would ever compete! The Sigma 50/1.4 on the A900 might have though!:rolleyes:

Never the less it is a good review and the Leica with it's 14 bit colour depth and superior optics only just seemed to nose in front of the Sony with it's 12 bit images.

The Leica is of course a different tool and used to do a different job. It is also nearly 3 times more expensive and limited on it's applications!

So all in all, hold on to your A900's; but secretly I would still like an M9 as well!:salute:
The Sigma 50 is better wide open than the Sony, but there isn't a lens much sharper (if at all) than the Sony 50 at 5.6 in the center three quarters of the frame. Regardless, what we're seeing is the lack of AA filter. It seems the A900 and M9 are relatively comparable in IQ, and I'd surely buy an M9 if the price wasn't prohibitive to me, as I'd rather work with a rangefinder most of the time.

D

D.Keymn

Wheres Jono Slack

How come when I post a new thread and then click on New Posts its not there? Thanks guys.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Ok, then I'll give it a try :)

You have to make the new thread and write your first post in one operation, like this:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I agree , you where slighted elsewhere for sure but never here among friends. Welcome to the club my friend. :wtf:

End of the day it's the friends that count and the respect shown, nothing else matters. Frankly with that I pretty much stopped posting anywhere else for that matter, I find it simply is not worth my effort at the end of the day.
Very true! No matter if any LUF, 4/3rd forum Nikonians etc etc.

Simply useless to post in these forums, stopped all of this mostly and just stay in Getdpi :)

jonoslack

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz splutter erm eh?
Oh! Hi Steen
How are you?
I'm still here . . . haven't shot so much with the Sony recently . . . but when I have the files still bring a big smile to my face. What are you up to?

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Well, I just thought that maybe D.Keymn 's question was for you since he chose to post his question in the "Where's Jono Slack??" thread, and then I wanted to give you a chance to answer it yourself.
But apparently you were busy elsewhere, so I took the liberty to answer his question on your behalf. Just like sort of a secretary.
Maybe we should simply regard the "Where's Jono Slack??" thead as the GetDPI Questions & Answers thread in general ?
I cannot think of any other better suited thread for the purpose.
Like with novels a good title is half the story :lecture:

jonoslack

Well, I just thought that maybe D.Keymn 's question was for you since he chose to post his question in the "Where's Jono Slack??" thread, and then I wanted to give you a chance to answer it yourself.
I can only thank you for this.
But apparently you were busy elsewhere, so I took the liberty to answer his question on your behalf. Just like sort of a secretary.
Well Steen - I've always thought of you as my 'sort of secretary' :ROTFL::ROTFL:

Maybe we should simply regard the "Where's Jono Slack??" thead as the GetDPI Questions & Answers thread in general ?
I cannot think of any other better suited thread for the purpose.
Like with novels a good title is half the story :lecture:
I'd be very honoured it has a kind of satisfactory ring to it!

But you still haven't said how you are?

Still with that Nikon stuff?

As you are now my secretary, I think I need to come to Denmark and help you to see the light (not sure which light, but definitely an important one!).

Just don't get any big ideas about salary advances :)deadhorse:)
:salute:

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
How I am ... ?
Well err, I'm busy, very busy. I'm writing a novel. I think.
I just had a title ... be back later ...

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Now that's the spirit !
But first, the title.
What do you think, Mike ?

"Hoofbeats and gunsmoke" ... or ...
"Where's Jono Slack??"