The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Help with manual lenses on Sony a850

rchisholm

Hello! I bought an adapter for an old Zuiko 50 1.4 lens and want to use it on my Sony a850. The adapter mounts fine. There are no electrical contacts so the camera thinks there is no lens attached and will not fire the shutter. I can not find out how to disable/enable that function in the menu settings. I read on internet blogs that it is easily done with other Sony cameras. Perhaps this can not be done on the new a850? thanks -rob

douglasf13

The last Sony camera that was able to disable this was the A700. You will have to shoot in M mode if you use a lens without the lens contacts.

BackToSlr

On older Sony cameras there was a menu option to choose "Release without Lens" - Y/N option, unfortunately, it is not available on A850/A900.
You can, however, put the camera in full manual mode and it should ignore the presence of manual lens. You can use the builtin meter but no A mode or S mode, and stop down metering only.

You can "chip" the adaptor or use a chipped adaptor (search the threads here for more)

Cheers,

N