The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Which lens do you use with A850/900?

fotografz

Currently using a pair of A900s for diverse shooting needs, travel, portraits, but mostly weddings.

Lenses:

ZA 16-35/3.8, ZA 24-70/2.8, Sony 50/1.4, ZA 85/1.4, ZA 135/1.8, Sony 70-200/2.8 APO. (speciality Sony 500/8 Mirror, which is the only AF mirror lens made, and is basically optically the same as the Leica R500mm mirror which Minolta made for Leica).

For a 2 lens kit, I'd recommend the ZA 24-70/2.8 and ZA 135/1.8. and add the inexpensive Sony 50/1.4 for low light work from less distance.

Not sure about the comment on the busy bokeh of the ZA 24-70/2.8 .. hasn't been my experience with that lens, which I use a lot. Less distortion compared to the Canon version.

The 50/1.4 IQ compares to the Canon 50/1.4 but seems slightly better built, but in actual practice yields better results than either Canon or Nikon 50/1.4s because it is mounted on an image stabilized body. Same for the ZA 135/1.8 compared to the Canon 135/2L, which is no slouch in terms of IQ.

The ZA 85/1.4 is fine, and again is image stabilized which helps IQ, but in terms of actual optical IQ is no better than the Canon 85/1.2-II ... The ZA 85/1.4 exhibits considerable CA in back-lit or rim lit scenarios, which ACR nor LR fringe controls can fix. C1 does a bit better job controlling the purple fringing and CA from this lens, but doesn't completely eliminate it.

The advantage of the FF Sony A850 or A900 over Canon for use with adapted Leica R lenses is that all the lenses are in effect Image Stabilized. Can't remark on the relative value of adapted R or CZ lenses ... the only lenses I use adapted are Zeiss FE lenses like the 110/2FE, 250/4FE and 350/4FE which marry nicely with the ZA optics in terms of character and IQ ... and they are also in effect image stabilized on the Sony bodies ... unlike Canon or Nikon.

Perhaps the only R lens that would be truly tempting to adapt is the R100/2.8 Macro ... which IMO has no equal from anyone in 35mm optics. Less need for AF with a Macro anyway.

-Marc

R

robsphotography

I use the following on my A900

CZ ZA 16-35
CZ ZA 24-70
CZ ZA 135
Sony 100/2.8 macro
Sony 70-300G
Tamron 200-500 AF (A mount)

All the ZA's are great lenses with only the 24-70 open to criticism for vignetting wide open, but the 16-35 doesn't so I use that for wide view use.
Hello all, this is my first post here. I own a Sony A900 and I have the CZ 24-70 and the Sony 70-300G lenses. I think the CZ 24-70 is a great lens, with the exception of the corner shading I have experienced with pictures taken at 24mm - 30mm. So, I'm very interested in the above comment that the CZ 16-35 doesn't show any vignetting.

The pictures shown in the following review of the CZ 16-35 do show some corner shading when used with the Sony A900:

http://kurtmunger.com/sony_cz_16_35mm_f_2_8id96.html

An example of the corner shading I am experiencing with the CZ 24-70 used on my Sony A900 can be seen on my "home made" hobby photographic web site here:

http://www.robsphotography.co.nz/Whitireia-Park-vignetting-example.html

So, do you know of any reason why there may be less (or no) corner shading with the CZ16-35 as compared with the CZ24-70? I am thinking of purchasing the CZ16-35, and I think this is an important aspect to consider (even though good imaging programs can lessen / remove the effects of vignetting).

Thanks very much for your help.

Regards
Rob
http://www.robsphotography.co.nz/Sony-A900.html
Examples of the outstanding resolution of Sony A900 images

dhsimmonds

Hi Rob, welcome to the forum.

I have looked at your images and the test site. The A900 being full frame is very sensitive to filter rim width! The image shown on your web site looks very much as if it was taken with a circular polariser filter.....but I could be mistaken.

A standard rim filter does vignette with the 24-70 at 24 plus a bit,but not so much with the 16-35 and I don't know why. I have taken to using expensive thin rim filters on the 24-70 which has helped a great deal.

The following image is using virtually all the frame taken with the 16-35 against the light. No flare and no vignetting with a standard rim UV filter attached:-

R

robsphotography

Hi Rob, welcome to the forum.

I have looked at your images and the test site. The A900 being full frame is very sensitive to filter rim width! The image shown on your web site looks very much as if it was taken with a circular polariser filter.....but I could be mistaken.

A standard rim filter does vignette with the 24-70 at 24 plus a bit,but not so much with the 16-35 and I don't know why. I have taken to using expensive thin rim filters on the 24-70 which has helped a great deal.

The following image is using virtually all the frame taken with the 16-35 against the light. No flare and no vignetting with a standard rim UV filter attached:-
Thanks very much Dave for your comments. The image I referred to wasn't taken with a circular polariser filter, just a thin Hoya Pro1 Digital 77mm UV filter. I have tried removing both the filter and the lensehood, but the corner shading image results are almost identical at 24mm, both with and without filters and lenshoods.

The corner shading doesn't occur much at 35mm as can be seen with this image, which was taken in the same place and same day as the earlier 24mm one:

http://www.robsphotography.co.nz/Whitireia-Park.html

I think the corner shading is more pronounced when the lens is focussed on infinity, than it is when focussed at a closer distance. It's great that you could get such a good image from your 16-35mm lens, what focal length was this image taken at? Is there any more evidence of corner shading at 16mm than at 35mm with this lens?

Of course, owners of APS-C cameras don't have the same corner shading problem when they use wide angle lenses, due to the fact that the smaller sensor, in effect, crops some of the image that is actually recorded when the same lens is on a full frame camera. So, when using the A900, I don't take many photos at 24mm, I try to stick to 35mm or greater to avoid the vignetting problem.

Regards
Rob

dhsimmonds

Rob, I have just checked the exif data on this image viz:

Focal length 16mm on the Zeiss 16-35. Aperture used was f5.0 at 1/60 hand held using aperture priority setting.

I have never seen vignetting with this lens at either 16mm or 35mm or anything in between. However I am careful about the rim size of filters since experiencing vignetting with the 24-70. I hope that this helps.

Terry

I've definitely been surprised with the vignetting on the 24-70 even without a filter. I bought the Sigma 12-24 and then the 24-70. I think I may have been better off with the 16-35 for the wide end. Sigma takes no filters and the 24-70 vignettes and I do have the slim Sony filter. With a normal filter it will vignette all the way up to about 35mm.

R

robsphotography

I've definitely been surprised with the vignetting on the 24-70 even without a filter. I bought the Sigma 12-24 and then the 24-70. I think I may have been better off with the 16-35 for the wide end. Sigma takes no filters and the 24-70 vignettes and I do have the slim Sony filter. With a normal filter it will vignette all the way up to about 35mm.
Thanks very much for your replies, I will have to see if my friendly photographic retailer will let me have a test run with the CZ 16-35mm lens! It would be great to have a 16mm lens and not have the vignetting problem that I am experiencing with the CZ24-70mm lens.

Regards
Rob

Quentin_Bargate

I am using a good sample of a Tamron 28-200mm XR Di as a carry anywhere lens. It does the job when a fuller kit is not practical.

Quentin

Schmiddi

Well, mostly Minolta glass at my A900:

2,8-4/17-35, 2,8/28-70G (not good below 40mm, no way to get sharp corners below 35mm), 2,8/80-200G, 1,7/50, 1,4/85, 1,8/135CZ, 4,5/400, 4/600, 1,4xTC. Only 28-70 needs replacement, everything else is "OK"...

Andreas

douglasf13

FWIW, vignetting on the 24-70 isn't so much caused by slim filters as it is by the lens hood. I notice little difference in vignetting when I take filters off and on, but I do notice a larger difference when I remove the lens hood.

Eoin

For lenses used see my sig below, most used tend to be 24-70 & 85 CZ. However favorite lenses are the 16-35 & 135 CZ.

J

Jamesmd

on camera I always have minolta 28 85 f3.5 (22) 4.5 macro
and in the bag sony 50 f1.4 , minolta 28 f 2.8 .( light pack and versatile)

for certain shots CZ 85

travel minolta 28 135 f4 (22) 4.5 macro

for very very light and some zoom ( little ) minolta 35 70 f4 macro

all great .and cheap kit

I hate heavy lenses , ;)

cheers

T

Theresa

I think the CZ 24-70 is a great lens, with the exception of the corner shading I have experienced with pictures taken at 24mm - 30mm.

http://kurtmunger.com/sony_cz_16_35mm_f_2_8id96.html

An example of the corner shading I am experiencing with the CZ 24-70 used on my Sony A900
For me the vignetting hasn't been a problem. If it were a problem I have several programs that can fix it. I think it would be wiser to fix in post processing than it would be to replace it as it is a very good lens. The vignetting is only 1.5 stops at f/2.8 and 24mm, many lenses at such a wide focal length are much worse. The shorter wide angle zoom has less of it because it is the middle of its range. It doesn't need to go up to 70mm. It is the finest lens I've ever owned.

For overall versatility the 28-135 gives a lot of bang for the buck. I've had mine for many years and it's my favorite walk-around lens. With this lens in my bag, I find myself lusting after the CZ 135 more than the CZ 24-70, but your mileage may vary.

L

libsonluv

I use a850.
I feel a lot comfortable with this lens.
It gives me the most proper & best results.

douglasf13

FWIW, vignetting on the 24-70 isn't so much caused by slim filters as it is by the lens hood. I notice little difference in vignetting when I take filters off and on, but I do notice a larger difference when I remove the lens hood.
I am wrong!! Sorry. I retested this, and it is exactly opposite to what I said. There is a negligible difference in vignetting at 24mm 2.8 with the hood on or off, but my slim Heliopan filter does cause noticeable vignetting. Sorry for the confusion. :banghead: