The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony's answer to the Leica X1?

edwardkaraa

I'm sure it would, via adapter, but what's the point? The main attraction of such system would be small size. I don't want to imagine how would the ZA 135 look like mounted on such camera :D

gsking

I'm sure it would, via adapter, but what's the point? The main attraction of such system would be small size. I don't want to imagine how would the ZA 135 look like mounted on such camera :D
Exactly. And of course, it wouldn't meet the 4/3 standard if it wasn't interchangeable with 4/3 lenses.

Which is another reason why I don't find 4/3 that useful. As soon as you put a big lens on it, it's not small anymore.

That, and I can't get one with IBIS and flash together.

Oh well, my A700 will suffice :)

edwardkaraa

Well, the rumours site has been updated, and now it is not clear that the new Sony will be a micro 4/3rd camera. They claim it will be a strong competitor to the GH1 but the sensor can very well be Aps-C size.

This is great news for me, because this camera with a 35 to 50 FF equivalent Zeiss lens can become my permanent companion.

douglasf13

Well, the rumours site has been updated, and now it is not clear that the new Sony will be a micro 4/3rd camera. They claim it will be a strong competitor to the GH1 but the sensor can very well be Aps-C size.

This is great news for me, because this camera with a 35 to 50 FF equivalent Zeiss lens can become my permanent companion.
Me too!! A small Sony with a 50mm equivalent Zeiss would really be perfect for me. I hope these rumors are true.

etrigan63

If the sensor is indeed an Exmor-R type sensor, it will support very clean high ISO (12,800 is the number I have heard bandied about) due to the sensor back illumination design (sensor control circuitry is behind the photodiode in each pixel instead of in the middle layer of the sensor). This would make it an ideal street shooter for night shots.

V

Vivek

Can one of you comment on why this sensor might be better than what we have in the GF1?

Cheers,
Even if it is the regular EXMOR (like the X1 is rumored to have), it will be many times better than the NMOS in the m4/3rds cams.:thumbs:

If it is the EXMOR-R, it will be a dream camera.:p

EXMOR-R sensor, mirrorless camera, with a decent EVF and swivel TFT- will make me forget the m4/3rds.

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
Add me to the throng lining up to buy this Sony cam -- as long as I can use my Pen F lenses via an adapter. As much as I like my G1 cameras, I have zero loyalty to the m4/3rds system whereas I treasure the various Pen F lenses I've acquired. Still, some compact Zeiss-designed lenses would be difficult to resist.

etrigan63

Zeiss already has an excellent line of M lenses so they have a bit of experience in the small lens arena. Granted, these are manual lenses, but the optics and experience are there.

edwardkaraa

Well, there have been some rumours a few months ago that Sony is replacing their top end Aps-c camera (A700) with a new line of mirrorless EVF cameras similar to the R1 but with interchangeable lenses. This could be the first installment and may explain why the A700 has not been replaced until now, and why no new ZA lenses introduced recently.

Now it starts to make sense.

Edit: A Sony rep in Bangkok told me a few months ago just when the A850 rumors were starting, that the FF A850 is indeed the replacement of the A700 as Sony wants or expects the A700 users to upgrade to FF.

Sony has also stated recently that it does not want to include video in its DSLRs because Sony wants to do it right. It's all speculation, though.

Last edited:
V

Vivek

I wish Sony would make a serious mirrorless cam without video and such doodahs.

I am positive this will sell better than their monthly models of A501, A502, A503,... etc.

edwardkaraa

Vivek, a mirrorless camera basically uses video continously for viewing the image in the finder. You have the choice to record it or not ;)

V

Vivek

Vivek, a mirrorless camera basically uses video continously for viewing the image in the finder. You have the choice to record it or not ;)
Edward, If that (video) recording choice is not there, then there are savings on the image processing, power management, etc.

Also, there is no need to add a microphone, audio recording, and related expenses (money as well as processing, power, etc).

BTW, this purported Sony cam should not be compared to the cute, overpriced P&S cam from Leica if it (Sony cam) is a system camera.

Last edited:

cdnguyen

I sold all my m4/3rds stuff in anticipation of the new Sony DSC-R2. Give me the R2 with new Sony 12/14mp chip, Zeiss 24-120mm (was on the R1) and Sony chipped adapter so I can mount alpha G/Zeiss lenses and I will be happy.

edwardkaraa

Edward, If that (video) recording choice is not there, then there are savings on the image processing, power management, etc.

Also, there is no need to add a microphone, audio recording, and related expenses (money as well as processing, power, etc).

BTW, this purported Sony cam should not be compared to the cute, overpriced P&S cam from Leica if it (Sony cam) is a system camera.
I am with you 100%. Not because of the savings, but because I cannot get myself to respect or like any camera that shoots video. I must be a hardcore traditionalist. But I doubt Sony will make any new cam without this video thing, especially that all the kids are nagging to get that.