The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Long Tele Zoom Experiences ?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I am looking for a long tele zoom for my Sony Alpha 900. The Sony zoom (100-400) is not bad but I cannot get friend with it's silver finish and also bokeh seems to be an issue.

Have checked the Sigma zooms 100-400, 50-500 and 150-500 but they seem to suffer from soft images results at longer focal length (above 200).

Any experiences or suggestions are more than welcome!

gsking

The old 100-400 is not bad, and only $600ish. My take is the Sony 70-400 is a better piece of glass though.

The 70-300 also gets good marks, and is about the same price....but is probably not long enough for you.

I'd avoid the Sigmas in general, but the 50-500 doesn't seem to have too many detractors. It's also in a class by itself for flexibility.

Greg

Eoin

I can't say I've noticed any issues with the bokeh of the 70-400 Sony G. However the bokeh in the viewfinder sometimes seems wierd for some reason perhaps due to the fensil focusing screen and the magnification at 400mm.

It's an excellent lens, but the hood is a bit flimsy given the price. The silver colour is no more of an issue than the canon whites. Nothing beats this lens in alpha mount

dhsimmonds

Hi Peter

A lot depends on how often you will be using this glass and for how long at a time. Compromises are inevitable if weight and/or cost are a factor in your decision.

For me, the weight of lugging a heavy super tele-zoom was a consideration consistent with adequate image quality. I tried the Sigma Bigma and weighed the Sony 70-400 and settled on the Tamron 200-500.

It needs to be stopped down a couple of stops but is more than adequate at F8 better at F9 or F10. In late autumn trudging around England's New Forest, light is not very good but I was still able to get some acceptable shots of wild deer, handheld. However I did have to eventually use a higher ISO of 800 than I usually use, to get decent results hand held. This lens can be hand held down to 150th with the A900, the steadyshot system still works very well indeed. It is sharp at the full zoom of 500.

There are several independant user reviews of this and other lenses over at the Dyxxum web site.

Bokeh is nice, without ugly specular highlights. It is not a top notch lens but for 499 GBP (used) it is exceptional value, and weighs not much more than the 70-300G. With the hood attached it is a very long lens at full zoom.

This lens is in current production. Tamron's should not be discounted as they do sometimes beat Sigma's and manufacturer's lenses in independent lab tests. Like every lens manufacturer (including Leica) they do make some "dogs", but this lens is not one of them IMHO.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Dave,

thanks for this input. The Tamron 200-500 looks really impressive in the reviews, especially for that price. And it seems to be a robust construction.

Although I miss all the buzzwords like APO etc, it looks like it performs better than the Sigma APOs of similar zoom range.

N

nautilus

I am looking for a long tele zoom for my Sony Alpha 900. The Sony zoom (100-400) is not bad but I cannot get friend with it's silver finish and also bokeh seems to be an issue.

Have checked the Sigma zooms 100-400, 50-500 and 150-500 but they seem to suffer from soft images results at longer focal length (above 200).

If I were you I would double check your bokeh experience with the G zoom. I own the 70-400G lens and think the bokeh is nice, typical G standard.
Sharpness and contrast are the best of all zoom lenses in that range.

He has a good review
http://kurtmunger.com/sony_70_400mmid272.html

PS
The silver looks good and is solid metal.

Mark K

I have the Sony 70-400G. It is well built though I still in search of an used 400/4.5G. For shooting, 400mm has been the most frequently used focal length. Sigma 50-500 is out of stock. Have you considered 500/4.5 from Sigma? Should be a great buy in terms of price