The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony The One and Only.

fotografz

Dear Sony lovers,

Early this year I mentioned that if forced to choose between my Sony system and Nikon system to make my living with, it would be the Nikon.

I am here to eat my words.

After a full wedding season the Sony has proved itself under the most trying of conditions.

This is the best DSLR system I have ever used ... and I've used just about all of them.

The color right out of the camera is unmatched ... no matter how much I tweaked my processing routines, the Sony was always the best going in ... therefore the easiest to get a job done.

Once I figured out how to get great B&Ws it was smooth sailing from then onward.

Even my clients have been remarking on how "realistic" the images are, and how beautiful the colors are.

The proof is in actions not words.

Last week I sold all of my Nikon digital gear.

I await Sony's next step ... and hopefully even more lens choices from Carl Zeiss.

Sony The One and Only.

Who would have thunk it just a couple of years ago.

-Marc

Terry

Wow - I was wondering what was up....at first I thought you were going to go to the D3s but you sold all the lenses and I figured it was M9 all the way.

Care to share your thoughts on how to get the most out of B&W in Lightroom ? Did you make yourself a bunch of presets?

Last edited:

KETCH ROSSI

Good to hear Marc, since I might be doing some considerable amount of HD Filming for Sony soon, (Sony Style actually)so possibly will have to start also shooting Photography work with their A900 and Zeiss lenses, any good inputs on it much appreciated.

Already sold the 1Ds III but just don't want to sale my last 1D III body before I give the A900 a good trial.

One concern for me is also Wireless triggering for High Speed Sync Flash Photography, haven't found anything that works well with Sony yet, using the TT1 & TT5 combination on Canon's 580EX II's.

mwalker

Subscriber Member
Its good for this forum to have a pro like yourself using this camera exclusively. I'm also interested in your B&W technique. :clap:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Food for thought, but not unexpected.
While Nikon for me is the ideal "potato" (can be used for anything), Sony is very tempting from a pure image quality point of view.

S

Shelby Lewis

I told you so Marc, lol. ;)

(i can't wait to get back into the sony system)

fotografz

Actually doing B&W was easy once I realized it was the A900s flatter mid-tone response I was struggling with.

Nothing earth shattering. Now I just use the tone curve sliders in LR2 & LR3 and do it by eye. I sometimes also use the strong contrast point curve with the sliders. Non of the presets worked for me ... they were to generic and didn't provide the fine control needed to get the brights right in relation to the darks. This camera has a pretty remarkable tonal spread which needs to be punched up to work in B&W.

I wonder if the new flash mentioned in rumors will have a flash sync port? Although it's sort of a moot point for me since using Pocket Wizards isn't TTL anyway ... and any flash will do. Since I already had PW triggered SB900s powered by Quantum Turbo Cs and all the cords ... I just use that kit with the Sony.

-Marc

fotografz

I told you so Marc, lol. ;)

(i can't wait to get back into the sony system)
Yep, you were right.

But you know ... ya gotta test the crap out of these tools and learn them inside and out before trusting someone's once in a lifetime photos to them.

-Marc

bensonga

Hi Marc,

I passed your comments along to a friend of mine who has been thinking about the Sony A900 and a few Zeiss lenses. Your experience counts for alot around here....thanks!

Gary

S

Shelby Lewis

Yep, you were right.

But you know ... ya gotta test the crap out of these tools and learn them inside and out before trusting someone's once in a lifetime photos to them.

-Marc
Totally

What's been wild for me is to shoot with every other 35mm (save leica) and still have trouble getting good stuff sooc. I've finally gotten where I like the output of the 5dmkII, but the one things I bitched about with the sony (continuous AF) has been replaced by a similar problem with the 5dii... ie, responsiveness.

If you look back through my posts here, I got some really neat shots of some little girls swinging... all because the sony is responsive enough to almost be a decisive-moment camera. Not up to the m9, or the sports cameras.... but close.

well.. might as well repost:

and

and while we're at it... a few more to show a longer track of consistency

and

Well... I just shot the next session in their baby first year plan (including the sisters)... and I revisited the swing shot as a comparative test of sorts. While the 5dii does track ok in continuous... catching the "stop" at the top of the swing arc was impossible. Pissed me off, for sure. It was at that moment that I decided the sony was coming back into my stable as soon as funds permit. The 5dii does track processionals at weddings nicely... but it's actually worse with single-af in low-light with static subjects.

Enough bitching, huh. Good to hear, Marc.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Marc, if I may,

What lenses do you use in your work? I need tilt/shift lenses for part of my work (and am using them more for other applications, too) but dod not know if Sony/Zeiss have a TS. TIA, kl

fotografz

Marc, if I may,

What lenses do you use in your work? I need tilt/shift lenses for part of my work (and am using them more for other applications, too) but dod not know if Sony/Zeiss have a TS. TIA, kl
Nope. As a "system" Sony has a ways to go yet.

My evaluation was strictly as wedding photographer's kit using all the current ZA optics and a Sony 50/1.4 and 70-200/2.8G APO.

I'm about to publish an article for Photo.net that I was asked to do for their wedding forum which shares my experience using all the latest from Nikon, Canon and Sony ... "used" extensively on the job, not just in controlled test conditions.

One of the article's "Cons" for Sony is that IF you also use your 35mm DSLR for work other than weddings to be aware the system isn't as complete as Nikon or Canon. No T/S, no AF Zeiss macro (both C & N's Macros are image stabilized and optically stellar for the money). I'm looking into adapting a Leica R 100/2.8 APO Macro to the A900 ... while not AF, it would be stabilized on the Sony and is the best macro I've ever used.

Some fast Zeiss primes are still missing from both ends of the focal length spectrum (i.e., Zeiss 21/2.8, 28/2 or 35/1.4 and one of those fab Zeiss APO telephotos).

If Zeiss issued an AF ZA version of the legendary 50/1.2 Anniversary, I'd sell a body part to get it ...:ROTFL: The excellent Canon 50/1.2L is a "Holga Lens" compared to to the Zeiss 50/1.2 ;)

-Marc

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Thanks, Marc; that's v. helpful.

I could not afford to run two systems presently, I don't think, but since your original post I have re-read most of the reviews and impressions of this excellent camera.

and I can see for event work (I have an Embassy reception to do once I get back from the Caymans, where I am presently) this would be an excellent choice. And I am sure the ZA lens range will expand, too.

For now, the Live View implementation (for the TS lenses) means that I will stick with Nikon for now; and if the D3x sensor appears in a gripless body like the D700, I will sell one of these and get the higher pixel count version.

Agree completely re. the new Nikon macros, too; the 60 is the sharpest lens I have ever used, period. When you adapt that Leica 100/2.8 APO macro, you will have something unique, for sure.

I would appreciate a link to that photo.net article once you have finished it too, please, and I am sure that many others here would, too.

Re. the 50/1.2 Anniversary—which part did you have in mind?
:ROTFL:

cheers and thanks, kl

fotografz

Thanks, Marc; that's v. helpful.

I could not afford to run two systems presently, I don't think, but since your original post I have re-read most of the reviews and impressions of this excellent camera.

and I can see for event work (I have an Embassy reception to do once I get back from the Caymans, where I am presently) this would be an excellent choice. And I am sure the ZA lens range will expand, too.

For now, the Live View implementation (for the TS lenses) means that I will stick with Nikon for now; and if the D3x sensor appears in a gripless body like the D700, I will sell one of these and get the higher pixel count version.

Agree completely re. the new Nikon macros, too; the 60 is the sharpest lens I have ever used, period. When you adapt that Leica 100/2.8 APO macro, you will have something unique, for sure.

I would appreciate a link to that photo.net article once you have finished it too, please, and I am sure that many others here would, too.

Re. the 50/1.2 Anniversary—which part did you have in mind?
:ROTFL:

cheers and thanks, kl
LOL!

Judging by the cost of the original Zeiss 50/1.2 Anniversary, I'd estimate everything from the neck down.

douglasf13

I'd be curious how the Sony macros compare to the Canon and Nikon variants, as Ive never really heard complaints about them....unless compared to the Zeiss.

Ben Rubinstein

Can you post the link to that article when it's done Marc? I've not been on the wedding forum on photo.net for years. Would be very interested to read it.

edwardkaraa

I'd be curious how the Sony macros compare to the Canon and Nikon variants, as Ive never really heard complaints about them....unless compared to the Zeiss.
The 100 macro has turned out to be a very good lens. After a few months of regular use, I have come to like it. Having used a 100mm f/2.8 makro-planar for many years, it was a shock at first but now I realize the main difference between these 2 and what I consider as the major flaw of the Sony. The Zeiss MP is known for the infamous Zeiss trick of extending sharpness to the limits of the DOF area, sacrificing slightly the sharpness at the exact focusing point. The Sony is the exact opposite. There is a clear and sharp line where things are either within DOF or not. In some photos, this looks very ugly indeed but I have learned how to avoid such angles, whenever possible.

The Canon macro that I have used before fell somewhere between the two, but I believe the Sony is sharper, without having any direct comparisons to prove it.

J

Jan Chelminski

Nope. As a "system" Sony has a ways to go yet.

My evaluation was strictly as wedding photographer's kit using all the current ZA optics and a Sony 50/1.4 and 70-200/2.8G APO.

I'm about to publish an article for Photo.net that I was asked to do for their wedding forum which shares my experience using all the latest from Nikon, Canon and Sony ... "used" extensively on the job, not just in controlled test conditions.

One of the article's "Cons" for Sony is that IF you also use your 35mm DSLR for work other than weddings to be aware the system isn't as complete as Nikon or Canon. No T/S, no AF Zeiss macro (both C & N's Macros are image stabilized and optically stellar for the money). I'm looking into adapting a Leica R 100/2.8 APO Macro to the A900 ... while not AF, it would be stabilized on the Sony and is the best macro I've ever used.

Some fast Zeiss primes are still missing from both ends of the focal length spectrum (i.e., Zeiss 21/2.8, 28/2 or 35/1.4 and one of those fab Zeiss APO telephotos).

If Zeiss issued an AF ZA version of the legendary 50/1.2 Anniversary, I'd sell a body part to get it ...:ROTFL: The excellent Canon 50/1.2L is a "Holga Lens" compared to to the Zeiss 50/1.2 ;)

-Marc
Thanks Marc, I just read the article and its very good. I am in the process of selling and scraping together for an A900 and lenses. Not a wedding photographer, but its clear to me that this camera is a classic. Still, I find it a little weird, being so excited about getting a Sony. Jan