The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony The One and Only.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Great article, Marc, as is the other one in the series. Your credentials are very impressive, too. Regards from Australia, KL

jlm

Workshop Member
marc: very nice and informative article. You have certainly been a mentor for many of us.
would love to see a picture of you..

jm

Marc, while I am not especially interested in Wedding Photography I found the article very interesting and informative, especially the evolution of your kit. I find your comments about flash especially interesting... I remember you grousing about the iISO shoe in an earlier thread here in GetDPI and it's nice to see that you have "seen the light"... so to speak... :D Grows on you, eh? ;)

fotografz

Marc, while I am not especially interested in Wedding Photography I found the article very interesting and informative, especially the evolution of your kit. I find your comments about flash especially interesting... I remember you grousing about the iISO shoe in an earlier thread here in GetDPI and it's nice to see that you have "seen the light"... so to speak... :D Grows on you, eh? ;)
Yeah, I even mentioned that I thought it was a stupid design at first ... but in use it really helps speed up things at a wedding.

It is a bit difficult getting together all the little parts to make it work for PWs, but that's cleared up now.

Marc

Mark K

Dear Sony lovers,

Early this year I mentioned that if forced to choose between my Sony system and Nikon system to make my living with, it would be the Nikon.

I am here to eat my words.

After a full wedding season the Sony has proved itself under the most trying of conditions.

This is the best DSLR system I have ever used ... and I've used just about all of them.

The color right out of the camera is unmatched ... no matter how much I tweaked my processing routines, the Sony was always the best going in ... therefore the easiest to get a job done.

Once I figured out how to get great B&Ws it was smooth sailing from then onward.

Even my clients have been remarking on how "realistic" the images are, and how beautiful the colors are.

The proof is in actions not words.

Last week I sold all of my Nikon digital gear.

I await Sony's next step ... and hopefully even more lens choices from Carl Zeiss.

Sony The One and Only.

Who would have thunk it just a couple of years ago.

-Marc
:p:p
Well written Marc

Hank Graber

Dear Sony lovers,
I await Sony's next step ... and hopefully even more lens choices from Carl Zeiss.
-Marc
I'm about to get an A900, the Zeiss 24-70 and a Minolta 50 macro. The viewfinder, the Zeiss (and Minolta) glass and the resolution has got me sold. Your review has just reaffirmed my buying decision.

I'm hoping Sony decides to leverage their video experience in the next top Alpha dog. Looking at RED and the 5DII i think Sony could make a hell of a top end integrated pro still/video device. That's the future for a lot of areas of photography.

jonoslack

HI Marc
I missed this first time around - Enjoyed the article, but I'm jealous of your lenses!

For me the combination of the A900, Zeiss lenses and the M9 is where I seem to have arrived as well. I can't see it changing very soon!

all the best

tom in mpls

Jono, I have the A900 and Zeiss, and have an M8 on the way. I agree this is a killer combo; I'm afraid I'll be upgrading to the M9 soon.

fotografz

I'm about to get an A900, the Zeiss 24-70 and a Minolta 50 macro. The viewfinder, the Zeiss (and Minolta) glass and the resolution has got me sold. Your review has just reaffirmed my buying decision.

I'm hoping Sony decides to leverage their video experience in the next top Alpha dog. Looking at RED and the 5DII i think Sony could make a hell of a top end integrated pro still/video device. That's the future for a lot of areas of photography.
I sincerely hope they do not include video. Just something else to clog up the works and increase costs with a little used feature ... IMHO.

Give me dual card capture, (like the Canon and Nikon Pro models have). Live view with 10X mag. One stop better ISO NR. A fast Zeiss 28 or 35 prime and a 100/2.8 APO macro. More weather sealing.

-Marc

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
I sincerely hope they do not include video.
Amen. I have pro. video cameras for that.

And yes to your other suggestions; and add a decent TS lens or two and I will buy an A900 as well.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
How about skipping the anti-aliasing filter while we are at it ?
I don't get it why CaSoNikon keep the AA filter even in these high-end FF 24+ megapixel machines ?
I assume it can no longer be for the sake of aliasing, or am I wrong here ?
With regards to moiré, I would rather deal with that in post-processing.

Last edited:
K

Kevin B

I was sent the link to this site for the purpose of reading your article, Why? well I have been shooting Sony since the A100 and now own the A700 and A850 but I had begun to feel that maybe Sony was not the system to venture into the pro level any further than the A900/850 ( I see them as pro tools, even the A700 would qualify) I had been conversing with other photg. and I had it my mind to jump to the Canon 7d , But better logic and reasoning won out, I had to take another look at where I truly wanted to go with my photography ( I am not doing it full time as yet but soon) I have shot Moto-X, and stills but I want to get into portrait work, that aside I have now come to my senses and Sony is going to be my system I have one of the best combo's and some good glass but soon to add some long awaited Zeiss.

I have decided to sell my Harley to fund the new glass and that my friend is a huge deal for me, I love my ride but I love photography more so there you go.

And yes after reading your article Marc that help push me in the right direction.

Thats my story and I am sticking to it..

Thanks
Kevin

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Marc, excellent idea, but the site's link says "out of stock". I did have a Super-Rotator for the Canon mount, so am familiar with them—could perhaps do second hand, but 35 is really not wide enough for interiors.

OTOH, with the prices of the A900 so reasonable, I am inclining to running two systems (again!), using the D700 + 24 PC-E for interiors (along with the 14–24).

Hmmm. Food for thought.

fotografz

I was sent the link to this site for the purpose of reading your article, Why? well I have been shooting Sony since the A100 and now own the A700 and A850 but I had begun to feel that maybe Sony was not the system to venture into the pro level any further than the A900/850 ( I see them as pro tools, even the A700 would qualify) I had been conversing with other photg. and I had it my mind to jump to the Canon 7d , But better logic and reasoning won out, I had to take another look at where I truly wanted to go with my photography ( I am not doing it full time as yet but soon) I have shot Moto-X, and stills but I want to get into portrait work, that aside I have now come to my senses and Sony is going to be my system I have one of the best combo's and some good glass but soon to add some long awaited Zeiss.

I have decided to sell my Harley to fund the new glass and that my friend is a huge deal for me, I love my ride but I love photography more so there you go.

And yes after reading your article Marc that help push me in the right direction.

Thats my story and I am sticking to it..

Thanks
Kevin
Hope I didn't help "Push" you over a cliff Kevin ...:ROTFL:

Seriously, I really do think that if you don't need really specialized things like T/S, the Sony is a great choice. My only real hope is for a Zeiss 28/2 or 35/1.4 in future. However, I am not holding my breath .... since I waited forever for the same thing from Zeiss for the Contax N system.

Best of luck,

-Marc

G

gatay

thanks for your share!
i really like B&W technique!
good information!

douglasf13

Marc, excellent idea, but the site's link says "out of stock". I did have a Super-Rotator for the Canon mount, so am familiar with them—could perhaps do second hand, but 35 is really not wide enough for interiors.

OTOH, with the prices of the A900 so reasonable, I am inclining to running two systems (again!), using the D700 + 24 PC-E for interiors (along with the 14–24).

Hmmm. Food for thought.
I believe that Hartblei is only actively making the newer, way more expensive T/S lenses with Zeiss glass.