The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony The One and Only.

T

Tony Beach

Yeah, only around $12k for the set of three T/S lenses.
What a bargain for a 40,80,and 120 T/S lens set! :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:
I asked Iliah Borg about these lenses, and he was not impressed. Also, 40mm is too long for me (as a mid range it would be fine, but I too am shocked by the high price); I want 24mm or 28mm, and about $2000 seems like a fair price. I just hope that when Sony/Zeiss get around to this lens, it has independent alignment of the tilt and shift functions.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
40 is way too long for a TS lens, if that is the widest you can get in a range and a 35mm-sized sensor is the recording method. As I have written elsewhere, the new 17 TS-E from Canon with independent tilt and shift axes is the current gold standard (Nikon equivalents have fixed axes, although they can be altered with a screwdriver) and 17 is a lot wider than 24.

I have both axes aligned on my 24 PC-E and get ~17mm EFOV by shifting L and R—but then can't use tilt in the same shot. I hope Nikon sees the light here.

In the meantime, talking about Sony, I can't see a viable solution, because the Mamiya 645 35mm lens is the widest that the Mirex TS adapter can use, AFAIK.

philip_pj

Yes, Kit, true...the C 35mm/3.5 N. Imagine how much Sony would charge for a modern CZ 17mm or even 24mm TS; doesn't even bear thinking about!

roweraay

Yes, Kit, true...the C 35mm/3.5 N. Imagine how much Sony would charge for a modern CZ 17mm or even 24mm TS; doesn't even bear thinking about!
Going by Sony's other Carl Zeiss offerings, they have been VERY price competitive with their Canon and Nikon equivalents. So using history as a yardstick, I believe when the Sony T/S versions emerge, they will be in the same price ballpark as Canon and Nikon.

T

Theresa

I was sent the link to this site for the purpose of reading your article, Why? well I have been shooting Sony since the A100 and now own the A700 and A850 but I had begun to feel that maybe Sony was not the system to venture into the pro level any further than the A900/850 ( I see them as pro tools, even the A700 would qualify) I had been conversing with other photg. and I had it my mind to jump to the Canon 7d , But better logic and reasoning won out, I had to take another look at where I truly wanted to go with my photography ( I am not doing it full time as yet but soon) I have shot Moto-X, and stills but I want to get into portrait work, that aside I have now come to my senses and Sony is going to be my system I have one of the best combo's and some good glass but soon to add some long awaited Zeiss.

I have decided to sell my Harley to fund the new glass and that my friend is a huge deal for me, I love my ride but I love photography more so there you go.

And yes after reading your article Marc that help push me in the right direction.

Thats my story and I am sticking to it..

Thanks
Kevin
I am not a professional photographer but I once aspired to being one. Back in the mid-70s I went to art school and photography school but then disability kept me from getting into professional work. Anyway, what camera I used didn't matter much except the bigger the negative the better. I had a Nikon FTN at one time and my a850 reminds me of it. Its a workhorse with excellent optics. I also used 4"x5" and I miss that a great deal. I can see going for the $7,000-8000 NikCans if one needs the speed (fps), liveview for tripod work, or some lenses that aren't available such as wide angle, t/s and super telephoto primes. If you don't need these things then the Sony is probably just as good and maybe better in some ways than NikCans. I really don't see any ISO over about 3200 as useful given the quality of the images produced at such speeds even by the most expensive NikCans. The images have a lot of color noise, lack detail and have poor dynamic range. There are those who say that Sony isn't releasing top of the line cameras as quickly as they like. They seem to forget that the a900 has only been out a bit more than a year and that camera companies don't release top of the line cameras all that frequently because the pay off is just not there. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony released a upgraded a 900 before summer, probably with a few more prime lenses. I think it will have live view if for no other reason than that a fuss has been made about it being absent.