The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony a900 High Speed Flash Sync Option Please Advise :-)

KETCH ROSSI

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for some expert advise on High Speed Flash Sync option for the Sony a900.

I currently shoot with the 1D III and several 580EX II's a top of the FlexTT5's with the MiniTT1 on camera, to get sync speeds of up to 1/8000.

I see this: http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665530695 which allows for use of the PW's, and this: http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665199970

Just a bit confused as the TT1 and TT5's I have are for Canon, so will this work? Or do I have to sale them and get something else like the Radio Poppers and Sony Flashes?

NOt looking to go cheap as I need the most power output I can out of the flashes, especially when considering that when used in High Speed Sync they loose output power.

Thanks in Advance for your participation.

Last edited:

KETCH ROSSI

Thanks for the link N, however I'm hoping to find a better solution for it, I just don't like how you have to depend from the on camera flash to sync fire other flashes and or strobes, plus the additional light sensor does not look good to me, so I'm hoping to find out more about the Sony FA-HS1AM.

fotografz

Thanks for the link N, however I'm hoping to find a better solution for it, I just don't like how you have to depend from the on camera flash to sync fire other flashes and or strobes, plus the additional light sensor does not look good to me, so I'm hoping to find out more about the Sony FA-HS1AM.
When and if you do, please post it or send me an e-mail.

Using the Sony FA-HS1AM adapter and a Pocket Wizard to transmit is limited to 1/200th shutter.

KETCH ROSSI

Using the Sony FA-HS1AM adapter and a Pocket Wizard to transmit is limited to 1/200th shutter.
Thanks for the heads up on this limitation Marc, that will not do it for me, I need to be able to shoot at 1/8000.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I have been looking in to the Radio Poppers, since it seems that some one has already successfully use them with the Sony Alpha, not sure on what type of flashes were used.

Last edited:

gsking

HSS is primarily a flash issue. The flash has to be able to sustain a 1/200 sec. light pulse, so that it's emitting constant light output over the duration of the entire travel of both curtains.

AFAIK, this is only possible with HSS-enabled strobes, You could hook up three of them to the TC-1000 splitter, but if you go wireless, you are stuck with the on-board flash.

The only other way to do it is to have a super-powered AC studio flash with an ultra long duration. I'm not sure if they exist, but if that referenced link on DPR is actually legit, that would be what would have to be happening.

Greg

KETCH ROSSI

Yes Greg the flash units I intend to use such the H58 do support the speed needed, the issue is only the fact that since I can't use the new Mini TT1 and Flex5 PW combination, I was looking for a diverse firing trigger to do HSS, I have also read that with the new RP's the P1 and the PX they have worked with the Sony.

With the 1D III and PW's I shot the Profoto Compact at 1/2000 sec. with great results.

gsking

Ketch,

Hmm, how does that work? It says the maximum duration of the Profoto Compact is 1/500 second. That means the flash will be "burned out" before the exposure is even half over.

If the x-sync speed is 1/250, that means each curtain takes 1/250 to travel, right? So at 1/250, the second curtain starts closing RIGHT when the first curtain has fully opened, leaving every pixel exposed for exactly 1/250 second.

At 1/2000, the second curtain starts closing 1/2000 second behind the first curtain opening, but both take 1/250 second to operate. So at 1/500 second, the slit has only covered half of the frame.

Is there an HSS mode on those strobes, or something else I don't understand?

Greg

KETCH ROSSI

This shot was taken with the 1D III with MiniTT1 attached, and two Profoto Compact 600w/s one with a FlexTT5 and the other fired by the light output of the PW controlled unit.

This is a Conversion from Raw, no retouching done yet. just uploaded to C1 in the raw, then opened in CS4 for resizing in Jpeg for web upload.

Shot with the New Canon 100 f/2.8L Macro @ 1/1250 sec. f/8 ISO 200 in Manual mode.

Last edited:

gsking

Hmm, still confusing. As far as I can tell, it shouldn't work. ;) You should see banding.

Unless perhaps...

1. The second strobe is lagging the first one by a measureable amount, thus giving two "humps" in the exposure, one covering the first half, and the other the second half.

2. The cooldown time of the bulb isn't factored into the max exposure time, and you are still getting meaningful output for the full 1/200 second.

Any idea?

Greg

KETCH ROSSI

He he, no really, I tough it wouldn't work either, and for this I had three 580EX II units ready, but never got to use them on this shot, and shot everything from 1/1250 sec. as above image to 1/2000 sec. in Manual mode, with ISO fixed at 200 and Aperture fixed at f/8, not a single pic was under or over exposed or showed any issues in the light bending or fall off do to sync issues from first to second Curtain.

Again it could be as you said that since the second strobe was fired by the light output of the first Strobe, a minimum delay could have caused in off light illuminating the second curtain.

gsking

It would be interesting to analyze forensically. I haven't tried to cheat with any of my strobes to what happens in HSS mode. I'm sure my system is so slow it may miss the entire event. ;)

KETCH ROSSI

He he, LOL.

I'm for one, that guy that always drives people crazy on set, as I make them do what no one else has, and they say its impossible, but then.. here you go :D

KETCH ROSSI

Okay, as I continue the research on HSS for the a900, I also talked extensively with Sony Tech support, and they say that the Speed sync of the Sony FA-HS1AM goes to the maximum allow by the camera shutter, so it should go to 1/8000 and not be limited to 1/200 Marc.

Then again this tech guys they always know half of what we do :D

I have seen few possible options, but true to be told is that unless I find a very good and viable Professional option for wireless HSS as I have been doing with Canon/PW with the use of the TT1/TT5 combination, I will have no choice but to return to Canon, and not been able to use the Sony a900, which would suck as I have really come to wanting to use it.

fotografz

Okay, as I continue the research on HSS for the a900, I also talked extensively with Sony Tech support, and they say that the Speed sync of the Sony FA-HS1AM goes to the maximum allow by the camera shutter, so it should go to 1/8000 and not be limited to 1/200 Marc.

Then again this tech guys they always know half of what we do :D

I have seen few possible options, but true to be told is that unless I find a very good and viable Professional option for wireless HSS as I have been doing with Canon/PW with the use of the TT1/TT5 combination, I will have no choice but to return to Canon, and not been able to use the Sony a900, which would suck as I have really come to wanting to use it.
Ketch, yes I know the Sony will go to 1/8000th with HSS set, but not with the regular PW trigger as far as I can tell. I do not believe there is a TT1 or TT5 unit made for Sony ... only Canon and Nikon so far. Even the Nikon ones are not released yet ... so in effect Pocket Wizard TT1/TT5 is only available for Canon.

What I do not know is whether HSS can be used with a Sony flash in the hot shoe firing other remote Sony flashes that also maintain HSS. Of course, even if this set-up did work, it is a limited range solution compared to the radio triggered PWs.

I believe this is a very specialized application normally done using strobes with very short durations like those action freezing units from Broncolor or Profoto. However, none of those allow a camera sync speed of 1/8000th that I know of.

Is your application need driven by wanting to use a fast aperture in brighter conditions requiring a very high shutter speed coupled with fill flash?

Marc

KETCH ROSSI

Ketch, yes I know the Sony will go to 1/8000th with HSS set, but not with the regular PW trigger as far as I can tell. I do not believe there is a TT1 or TT5 unit made for Sony ... only Canon and Nikon so far. Even the Nikon ones are not released yet ... so in effect Pocket Wizard TT1/TT5 is only available for Canon.

What I do not know is whether HSS can be used with a Sony flash in the hot shoe firing other remote Sony flashes that also maintain HSS. Of course, even if this set-up did work, it is a limited range solution compared to the radio triggered PWs.

I believe this is a very specialized application normally done using strobes with very short durations like those action freezing units from Broncolor or Profoto. However, none of those allow a camera sync speed of 1/8000th that I know of.

Is your application need driven by wanting to use a fast aperture in brighter conditions requiring a very high shutter speed coupled with fill flash?

Marc
Yes Marc, unfortunately I'm aware that the TT1/TT5's are for Canon Only and Nikon soon, have been using half dozen of them with the 1Ds III and 1D III, with both the 580EX II's and the Profoto Compacts with great results, and love them, but really got to like the IQ of the Sony, and this is why I'm searching a solution for it.

This combination is for High speed subjects indoor, like fast moving dancers, action, explosions, and such, and outdoor Portraits and action, in bright day light.

I will continue to research and see what I find, but in deed if I don't find a solution there will be no Sony for me :-(

wayne_s

Ketch,
Why did you sell your Profoto D1-air strobes and kept the compacts?Does the triggering system with the Airs have support for HSS?

KETCH ROSSI

Ketch,
Why did you sell your Profoto D1-air strobes and kept the compacts?Does the triggering system with the Airs have support for HSS?
I sold them cause they were the AIR and I couldn't achieve High speed sync, as I did with Th older Compacts and the TT1/TT5, were I shot at speeds of 1/1250 and 1/200 al evening with great results, against every one toughs that it was possible to shoot HSS with them at 1/2000.

KETCH ROSSI

Okay, after much researched and done, I have not found a solution that makes me happy, on the look and action of a Wireless remote shutter and speed firing solution for High Speed Flash Sync shooting up to 1/8000, for the Sony a900, as I have been doing with the Canon 1D III, so unfortunately for now I will have to pass on the Sony.

I will be doing a short Video commercial for Sony with the a850 or a900 early January with multi flash, will see if the new year brings new solutions, but to my understanding Sony has no intention to go after the Pro shooters, and for this I don't think that we will see a valuable solution soon, Canon here I return t you, and you better bring the 1D IV free of Focus issues :D