The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Point & Shoot recommendations needed

D

dmcnickle

I would like to have some recommendations for a point and shoot. I have the A900 and love it. However, I want something small and compact for when I am out on my bike or just to carry in my bag. I would like it to shoot RAW, as I am so used to that and am not sure about jpg quality. but, if jpg quality is good, I could deal with it. I'm just used to post-processing and not having the quality degrade. The more megapixels the better since I want to be able to crop, if necessary, and print large.

Thanks for the help!

dhsimmonds

Hi, well I would need to ask a lot of questions of you first such as what type of subjects are you most likely to be shooting, budget, zoom range etc. etc.

I use a Leica D-Lux-4 as my P & S, but the much cheaper Panasonic LX3 is virtually identical with the same lens, sensor etc. I only have the DL4 as it was part of the deal when I sold all my Leica R gear!:thumbs:

Both cameras have 10Mpx sensors, a lovely little Leica F2 zoom lens which ranges from 24mm to 60mm. It can be set up like a DSLR with Aperture priority exposure. The aperture can be easily set with a joystick on the rear face with the aperture selected displaying on the rear LCD as you change it.:thumbup:

It takes Raw images (I have set mine up to take Raw but it can also be set up to take jpeg). A small low powered flash, OK for close fill-in but that's about all. It does have a hotshoe which will take an external flash or an externally mounted viewfinder like a rangefinder camera. Otherwise you use the Large LCD screen on the back of the camera, ugh, but you do get used to it! :sleep006:

They are probably the only "system" P & S cameras, as there are lots of 3rd party add-on's available. I have the Panda tube , UV filter and lens hood on mine now, which makes it a little bigger, it is no longer a pocket camera.....I am trying real hard to turn it into a DSLR!!!!:wtf:

Image quality is really quite good with useable ISO up to 600, even 800 at a push. I usually keep mine down to 200 if I can.

It usually resides in my car, but it also accompanies my A900 with me on long trips.

It is perfectly adequate for up to 10x8 prints or web use. I usually rarely print at no more than 7x5 from it's files but have done the odd 10x8.

There are a lot of more expensive P & S type cameras just coming on the market with bigger sensor's so you might want to have a look at them before taking the plunge. However none of them are as compact and lightweight as my DL4 or FX3, but I am sure the image quality would be better.

Let us know what you get!

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
dmcnickle

hello there. I have probably owned all the contenders in the past year or so:

DP-1 and DP-2, LX-3, G11, S90, G1, GF-1 and probably a few more that my girlfriend can remember :ROTFL:

I have kept the S90, but added the Franiec grip (totally changes the ergonomics for the better) and the G1 (for cat shots; it sits on the lounge room table!).

Both shoot Raw, and DPP (which comes with the S90) completely corrects the barrel distortion at the wide end of the S90. I have a second-hand Ricoh GX-100 coming from a fellow member here (the term "gear slut" comes to mind :D) and will report on that too, but if you do not need a finder, then the S90 is the one to get: excellent IQ, a real pocket camera, and inexpensive. Good luck.

Mark K

I would like to have some recommendations for a point and shoot. I have the A900 and love it. However, I want something small and compact for when I am out on my bike or just to carry in my bag. I would like it to shoot RAW, as I am so used to that and am not sure about jpg quality. but, if jpg quality is good, I could deal with it. I'm just used to post-processing and not having the quality degrade. The more megapixels the better since I want to be able to crop, if necessary, and print large.

Thanks for the help!
I always carry my 24-70 CZ with me but the bulk and weight stop me from doing so.
I usually carry a 50/1.4, 20/2.8 and a 85/1.4 for the point and shoot.:cool:

LoSenior

I always carry my 24-70 CZ with me but the bulk and weight stop me from doing so.
I usually carry a 50/1.4, 20/2.8 and a 85/1.4 for the point and shoot.:cool:
Mark, I like your idea of using the A900 as a P&S by using lighter lenses. I have ZA 85 f1.4 and just ordered the Sony 50 f1.4 today.
How do you like the Sony 20 f2.8? Do you have some pictures that you could post.
Thanks, Jerry

D

dmcnickle

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am considering getting a 50/1.4 to help with the weight of my A900/24-70 CZ that I usually carry. I am looking for something that would fit in my pocket for when I walk or ride my bike to capture the "wish I had my camera" shot. I know it is asking a lot for something small to shot raw but I am used to that and enjoy experimenting with pp. I don't want to break the bank either. Oh well, compromises will need to be made as the search continues.