The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I'm asking the same question in the Nikon section...

peterb

I'm curious. Ultimate resolution aside, at the low noise ISOs has anyone had the opportunity to shoot with both the Sony A900 (or A850) with the Zeiss 24-70mm attached AND the Nikon D700 with their own 24-70mm f2.8 attached?

Just curious to hear what you thought of the output.

Rand47

I'm curious. Ultimate resolution aside, at the low noise ISOs has anyone had the opportunity to shoot with both the Sony A900 (or A850) with the Zeiss 24-70mm attached AND the Nikon D700 with their own 24-70mm f2.8 attached?

Just curious to hear what you thought of the output.
I shot with a friend's D700 and good Nikon glass. Images very snappy, color a bit more saturated OOC, which I did not like (default raw conversion in LR2) than A900 - but shooting RAW and having good PP tools makes those "differences" moot these days, IMO.

Major difference is resolution. Not significant on smaller prints, but detail rendering on A900 is better in all prints (I've begun to use the term "crisp" for 20+ MP FF files), and begins to be significant in larger (17x22" and larger) prints.

The in-body IS and higher resolution pushed me to the A900 (w/ Zeiss lenses), but the D700 is no slouch. If high ISO were a "main thing," for me I'd have been tempted to go D700.