The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

TS lens for Sony ?

S

Shelby Lewis

Ah.... the $10,000 question.

You'll probably get few/no replies because there (IMO) just isn't a compelling solution yet. The are work-around solutions, but nothing that comes close to the canikon solutions (ie a dedicated set of t/s lenses designed and manufactured by the brand itself).

I think I would hear angels sing if an announcement was made for a pair of alpha mount zeiss t/s lenses.

philip_pj

Erick,
If you must have an excellent dedicated TS wide at 24/28mm or wider, Sony is not for you - yet. Even the majors are currently updating their offerings, having been at it for decades.

If and when a CZ TS lens comes along, it will cost a very large amount of money, of that one can be certain. The CZ Distagon PC-35 is still fetching a lot 2nd hand, and needs a mount change for Sony.

Having tired of Sony's prime lens release program, I am going the Mirex route with Mamiya 645 lenses. I never knew much about this particular series, but it turns out they have at least four lenses that will be very useful to landscape and travel purposes - a 35mm, 55mm, 80mm and a 120 Makro. So a user after 'landscape' tilt can get close to the classic TS set for 35mm format of 24/45/90. The Mamiya lenses are generally small, short and quite light. One can also use a 'Blad CZ to 645 adaptor to extend the possible lens range, but the CZs for 6x6 are generally larger and heavier. The M645 35mm is reportedly somewhat soft in the edges on 645 but you only need a small portion of the huge 645 IC for 24mm x 36mm, even for downward tilt.

With the Mirex, 15mm of shift on a image circle of 70mm (645) will give a comparative source file size of 35-40Mp, with a horizontal equivalent on the 35mm of around 23mm.

You get 10 degrees of rise/fall ostensibly but the pentaprism cuts off some movements. One can use combinations of T&S for some settings. Adapter weighs around 135 grams. The M645 lenses are very fine value these days (esp. the much respected 120/4 Makro, 80/1.9 and 200/2.8 APO) and quite easy to find - an orphaned series after the demise of film; all were very well made.

For information, here is a link showing the Mirex/Mamiya lenses on the A900 (and note that no m42-A mount adapter is now required, new adapters come with the A mount built in):
http://www.pbase.com/pganzel/mirex_tilt_shift_adapter_for_m645_m42.

I have the impression that the Mirex+M645 is maybe somewhat better than a 'workaround' having compared the TS statistics, and researched the quality of the 120/4 Makro...but time will tell - I'll provide a short report in a month or so.

gsking

I have the A700, Mirex, and a slough of Mamiya lenses. Haven't used it yet, but can answer questions. It's well built.

I got mine with the M42 mount so I could use a chipped adapter in case that would add value. Since Sony requires MANUAL shooting without a chip on the FF cameras, it might just be valuable.

Greg

P

Phil Indeblanc

Since Nikon announced a TS lens...
Maybe that would help Sony get one out sooner than expected?

docmaas

I haven't tried it, but there is a Leica 28 PC with Schneider optics that would be pretty good.
There are also sony leica adapters available on ebay now. It's pretty easy to use one if you don't have a rom. Not sure how difficult it is with a rom.

Without a rom simply remove the leica flange being careful not to lose the bearing or the spring and replace it with the sony leica adapter flange that already has all the f stop dimples bored into the adapter.

I did it with a 180 f3.4 apo telyt with 3 cams and it was that simple.

Should work with the t&s lens as well. The leica adapter does not come with a focus confirm chip but the flange is suitable to attach one. You can either buy a chip from James Lao, the only purveyor of chips currently or you can buy a whole adapter cheaper and gently pry it off and place it on the leica adapter. The chip will give you focus confirm and the hard coded f stop in the exif info.

Mike

carstenw

The Leica and the Schneider are the same lens, to my knowledge. It requires stopping down to f/8 for sharpness.

nikonf

The Schneider/Leica 28mm is the same lens. It is a much better performer than the old Nikon 28mm and the old Canon 24mm TS/E which I own.
The new Canon 24mm and 17mm TS/E lenses are superb, as is the new Nikon Wide Angle PC-E Nikkor 24mm f/3.5D ED Manual Focus Lens.
You will have to spend approximately $2k for the Nikon or $2200 for Canon.
The Schneider does not have tilt. I like Schneider Super-Angulon and Rodenstock Grandagon wide angle lenses on my 4x5. Perhaps the new Canon/Nikon are finally up to snuff for FF work.
Mike

T

Tony Beach

The Schneider/Leica 28mm is the same lens. It is a much better performer than the old Nikon 28mm and the old Canon 24mm TS/E which I own.
The new Canon 24mm and 17mm TS/E lenses are superb, as is the new Nikon Wide Angle PC-E Nikkor 24mm f/3.5D ED Manual Focus Lens.
You will have to spend approximately $2k for the Nikon or $2200 for Canon.
The Schneider does not have tilt. I like Schneider Super-Angulon and Rodenstock Grandagon wide angle lenses on my 4x5. Perhaps the new Canon/Nikon are finally up to snuff for FF work.
Mike
Can you compare the Schneider 28 to the Nikkor and Canon 24mm lenses?