The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

focus confirmation

J

Jamesmd

just a stupid little thing , perhaps you already know or it might even come on the user guide, but I just realized that in macro manual focus you get the green dot confirming focus , never saw it before . nice .

cheers

douglasf13

Yeah, it works well, but it stays on a little long. For my camera, it works best if I focus from the minimum focus distance towards infinity, and pull the trigger immediately after the light turns on. If I start at infinity and go the other direction, I get back focus.

Unless you don't have enough light... recently I was testing a chipped MF lens and the AF confirm didn't work at all past f5.6. Also, it doesn't work with bellows unless you have a LOT of light.

gsking

The center focus point should work until F/8...or F/6.3 at least.

At least it works on the slower Sigma primes (f6.3 or f/7.1, IIRC), the beercan doubled. (f/8), and the 500 reflex (f/8)

No reason why the chipped MF lens should be any different

Maybe my issue was that the DOF in this case was ridiculously thin - 135mm @ about 6 ft. Point is, results will vary. It may work at f7 on one lens but not past f6 on another.

Could be. I need to play with it more, for what I was doing at the time focus was not especially important so I didn't spend a lot of time analyzing the issue.