The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Oddball adapters for Sony a900

Irenaeus

Present company excepted....:)

"Oddball lenses" might be more accurate. tominmpls kindly just sold me his beautiful a900 (thanks, tom!) and I'm looking for ways to use it between now and the time I can afford one of the Zeiss lenses I like so much. He's steered my toward dyxum, a great resource, and I'm thinking about one or two Minolta lenses.

What I want to know at the moment, though, is whether there is a good adapter that would allow me to use a Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 50/4 (from a long gone Pentacon Six)? Is there one that that would work with a Konica Hexar AR 135/3.5?

(That's my main question. I also have three lenses for a Contax G1 — a 21/2.8, 45/2 and 90/2.8 — but that would seem too much to hope for — and I'd be extremely ambivalent if it meant making them unusable on the G1.)

All contributions gratefully acepted.

Irenaeus

gsking

I just got an M42 Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 for $20. It's remarkably sharp wide open...could give my 58mm f/1.2 a run for its money.

Also, it has a stepless stopdown ring that allows you to focus wide open, and then roll the aperture closed to the preset level before shooting. On a tripod with long exposure, one could use this as a poor man's STF

docmaas

You can get either a tilting, shift, or straight adapter for the Flektogon. Just search ebay and you'll find them. I have a tilt adapter on mine from which I had the original flange removed and epoxied on a focus confirm m42 adapter so I now have focus confirm. Use pentacon,sony,shift and tilt as your search terms.

Konica XR can only be adapted by surgery on the lens if you want to have infinity focus. The focal plane registar is very short on the konica compared to the Sony/Minolta AF. I know some have converted some Konica AR lenses to Canon EOS but it is a lot of work as you somehow must remove some of the lens housing to get the glass closer to the sensor.

Mike

Present company excepted....:)

"Oddball lenses" might be more accurate. tominmpls kindly just sold me his beautiful a900 (thanks, tom!) and I'm looking for ways to use it between now and the time I can afford one of the Zeiss lenses I like so much. He's steered my toward dyxum, a great resource, and I'm thinking about one or two Minolta lenses.

What I want to know at the moment, though, is whether there is a good adapter that would allow me to use a Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 50/4 (from a long gone Pentacon Six)? Is there one that that would work with a Konica Hexar AR 135/3.5?

(That's my main question. I also have three lenses for a Contax G1 — a 21/2.8, 45/2 and 90/2.8 — but that would seem too much to hope for — and I'd be extremely ambivalent if it meant making them unusable on the G1.)

All contributions gratefully acepted.

Irenaeus

Irenaeus

Thank you for the heads up about the M42 subforum, BackToSlr — plenty of info there! I hadn't thought of Fred Miranda's site and hope to be able to look at it tomorrow.

Gsking — new info for me — that's a lens I'd never run across before. And what a price! Congratulations, and thanks for posting.

Thanks, to you, too, Mike — this is just the sort of thing I was hoping for. Are the people you had work on your Flektagon still in operation? Apart from the wonderful ability to tilt the lens, were you happy with the image quality of the Flektagon + Sony in the end?

Best to all of you,

Irenaeus

docmaas

The Flektagon is a very nice lens. I have the more recent multicoated version (non zebra) and I like it a lot. I only tried out the tilt function early on to verify that it worked. I had no focus confirm adapter at that point.

Since I finished the mods I haven't taken it for a spin other than for normal shots and very few of those. My camera had been in the shop for over a month at Sony waiting for parts and I only got it back last week.

Today I purchased a superrotator off ebay. 55mm f4.5 using optics originally designed for a shift lens on the pentacon p6 cameras. I couldn't find much about it but what I did find was favorable so I took the plunge. Should get it early next week. It comes with an eos flange so I'll have to do another minor conversion as the eos is .2mm closer to the sensor than the sony.

I had wanted to get the new ts-e 24mm f3.5 canon lens but it has no external aperture ring and the aperture can only be changed by the camera body so conversion would be very difficult.

The Nikon equivalent 24mm does have an aperture ring and probably could be converted but the shift and tilt are in opposed axis and while they can be changed it is not a field operation.

One other candidate is the canon FD 35mm ts which some have converted to work on eos so they could be converted for sony as well. Again though the axis relationship between shift and tilt is convertable but not easily in the field limiting it's usefulness.

The conversion on the flektogon was simply milling off the flange and replacing it with an adapter. The only machine work was milling off the flange. Once that was done I played with shims until I got infinity then epoxied the flange on to the adapter. If the new 55mm works out or if I find another solution I'll probably sell the flektogon.

If you do decide to pursue the flektogon option and you can't find anyone to take off the flange I'm sure I can get it done here for you.

The reason I'm still looking though is I'd like to be able to do 3 shots shifted and tilted or even 9 shots and not have to bother with fusing images in post.

Is your handle your name or are you a church historian?

Mike

Thank you for the heads up about the M42 subforum, BackToSlr — plenty of info there! I hadn't thought of Fred Miranda's site and hope to be able to look at it tomorrow.

Gsking — new info for me — that's a lens I'd never run across before. And what a price! Congratulations, and thanks for posting.

Thanks, to you, too, Mike — this is just the sort of thing I was hoping for. Are the people you had work on your Flektagon still in operation? Apart from the wonderful ability to tilt the lens, were you happy with the image quality of the Flektagon + Sony in the end?

Best to all of you,

Irenaeus

Irenaeus

*Is your handle your name or are you a church historian?*

Something of the latter. I served as a pastor and priest in the Episcopal church for forty years and then completed a move into that Eastern Orthodoxy that had leavened my own particular lump so thoroughly during all that time.

Irenaeus fascinates me because he's part of a 200 year long chain of person to person contact and formation which went from Jersalem through Asia Minor to what is now southern France, as Irenaeus was taught by the martyred Bishop Polycarp, who was taught by John the Beloved Disciple, who was taught by Jesus Himself!

How is it that you know of him?

Blessings and cheers,

Irenaeus

docmaas

I also studied to be a priest but didn't complete the studies. I often say that cemetary and seminary don't sound similar for no reason at all. My skepticism won over and I completed my degree in comparative religion which of course, as Joseph Campbell once said succeeded only in making me comparatively religious.

I was at GTU in Berkeley from 1977-1980 and studied at Church Divinity School of the Pacific. Where did you study?

Best,

Mike

*Is your handle your name or are you a church historian?*

Something of the latter. I served as a pastor and priest in the Episcopal church for forty years and then completed a move into that Eastern Orthodoxy that had leavened my own particular lump so thoroughly during all that time.

Irenaeus fascinates me because he's part of a 200 year long chain of person to person contact and formation which went from Jersalem through Asia Minor to what is now southern France, as Irenaeus was taught by the martyred Bishop Polycarp, who was taught by John the Beloved Disciple, who was taught by Jesus Himself!

How is it that you know of him?

Blessings and cheers,

Irenaeus

Irenaeus

*My skepticism won over and I completed my degree in comparative religion which of course, as Joseph Campbell once said succeeded only in making me comparatively religious.*

That's a good quote! I don't remember hearing it before.

*I was at GTU in Berkeley from 1977-1980 and studied at Church Divinity School of the Pacific. Where did you study?*

The Episcopal Theological School in Cambridge, Mass. from 1962 - 1965.

Late now, so I'll say goodnight.

Goodnight,

Irenaeus

Irenaeus

Mike — Thank you for your kind offer to find someone who could take off the flange so I could adapt my Flektagon 50/4 (also the MC non-zebra version) to the a900. I may yet take you up on it but have two stumbling blocks.

The greater one is that MF is increasingly unreliable for me; the lesser one is that, when I took the lens out of its case the other day there was more dust inside it than I've ever seen in a lens! So it may be that the first step ought to be finding someone to do a CLA on it.

At the moment, it's a matter of curiosity and a small gamble for me. The Zeiss Jena glass ought to be worth the investment, and your tilt/shift idea ought to be useful for landscapes, but, being camera poor at the moment, the project may have to wait for awhile.

Any thoughts?

In re our theological discussion, it's interesting that Huston Smith, in spite of all his work in Comparative Religion, was still able to commit to Christianity, isn't it? As for my own relatively recent commitment to the Eastern Orthodox approach, I've found its somewhat different paradigms and understandings to be both refreshing, after so many years within the western approach, and profound.

Cheers,

Irenaeus

docmaas

Mike — Thank you for your kind offer to find someone who could take off the flange so I could adapt my Flektagon 50/4 (also the MC non-zebra version) to the a900. I may yet take you up on it but have two stumbling blocks.

The greater one is that MF is increasingly unreliable for me; the lesser one is that, when I took the lens out of its case the other day there was more dust inside it than I've ever seen in a lens! So it may be that the first step ought to be finding someone to do a CLA on it.

Well, those lenses go for from $200 up to $400 or so depending on condition and model. I've just taken my adapter off mine and put it on super rotator 55mm f4.5 I bought on ebay. The switch was easy enough but the super rotator was very bad on the edges at f8 even though with the a900 I'm still in the middle of the image circle for that lens. It could only get worse with shift so I'm returning it.

I believe there are now tilt adapters made with focus confirm chips on them. There weren't when I bought mine and that is why I made my own. If there are focus confirm adapters available, that would be the way to go because you simply mount the lens in the adapter and put the whole thing on the camera. Put the little lever front left to the bottom position for manual focus then focus the lens until the green confirmation light comes on in the viewfinder. That's the way any adapter with focus confirm works on the sony. That would be your best bet. Aside from that the process is to mill off the flange that comes on the adapter then put a new m42 focus confirm adapter on the tilt adapter. I can have that done if need be.

As far as cleaning the lens if it's one of the old zebra style lenses and the cost is high it may not be worth it. Look on ebay under completed auctions to get an idea of what they go for. I think about 80% or more of the sales of that lens come from Eastern Europe.

At the moment, it's a matter of curiosity and a small gamble for me. The Zeiss Jena glass ought to be worth the investment, and your tilt/shift idea ought to be useful for landscapes, but, being camera poor at the moment, the project may have to wait for awhile.

Any thoughts?

You might want to look at m42 lenses and use an adapter. There are a lot of good lenses in m42 at reasonable prices.

Another idea is to look at some of the minolta af lenses. I believe the current 35-70 f3.5 is the same as the MD version which is also the same as the current 35-70 3.5 leica R lens. I don't have one and haven't tried it but I think it may be quite a nice lens and they are pretty reasonably priced.

Do you know about KEH? (www.keh.com) They have a good selection of used lenses at fair prices and they are highly reputable among the community. Even their bargain rated lenses are usually pretty good. They also have a long return period of 2 weeks. Their only real shortcoming is that their mailing costs are a little high.

Ask on the list what people have found to be good performers at reasonable prices. The 28-135 is an excellent lens but has very long minimum focusing distance. It usually goes for $300-400 and is a bit heavy but an excellent performer.

There are a number of beercan models as well that are highly thought of. You can check the resolution/contrast ratings as a single number value at old.photodo.com. But the best thing to do is to get opinions from those on the board. I know a number of people found the 24-105 (I think?!) to be good performer as well.

In re our theological discussion, it's interesting that Huston Smith, in spite of all his work in Comparative Religion, was still able to commit to Christianity, isn't it? As for my own relatively recent commitment to the Eastern Orthodox approach, I've found its somewhat different paradigms and understandings to be both refreshing, after so many years within the western approach, and profound.
Irenaeus
I just read Huston Smith's reflections on the death of his daughter in the NY times a couple of months ago. I spoke to him a couple of times, once when he came to CDSP and another time when I went to a weekend seminar he spoke at.

He seems to be a very kind and quiet person and I think his study of religions was really of an academic nature. I never read much by him. My own viewpoint is somewhat phenomenological in that I think what is actually practiced and believed by the practicers is more important and meaninful than what is theologized or philosophized by the authorities. Therefore I often say that many Buddhists are theists because they treat Buddha as a God whom they entreat for various desires and completely ignore the cessation of desire that was the true and profound understanding Buddha taught. In the same way I can find much in common between Christian caritas and Buddhist bodhicitta even to the point where I think they are talking about the same thing phenomenologically even if not philosophically.

I am a genuine agnostic. I sometimes joke that I am an "apatheist" but I'm really more of an apophat.

I like the language and imagery of the Dao in Chinese thought. One of my teachers when I was studying in Taiwan, John C.H. Wu was one of a group who translated the bible in China. They chose the word Dao to translate logos in both Genesis and John. He thought and I agree that that translation is one that feeds from all the implied directions.

I usally picture the Dao (Tao) as a gate with undifferentiated chaos on the back side and differentialion into the myriad "things" on our side. Language is limited to the front side, the side of the differentiated but if you want to deal with the backside where undifferentiated reality lies, language isn't up to the task and that is why I am an apophat.

I do appreciate the Eastern church for its mystery and imagery in particular. It is also where the Christian apophatic spirituality resides.

you can write me at [email protected] if you wish.

Best,

Mike