The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A850 - DRO setting?

francishmt

What DRO settings do you use? Off, Standard, Auto, or Advanced Level? If Advanced Level, what level?

Also, does it affect RAW if I later process them in C1?

GrahamB

I only shoot raw with my a850, so I can't offer advice on a DRO setting.

DRO will not affect the raw file, but it will affect the jpeg preview (and histogram's) viewed on the camera lcd. You may find it difficult to make an optimum exposure based on the DRO jpeg.

You might consider setting one of your memory slots for jpeg DRO, and a second for raw. Make an exposure of the same scene with the DRO memory setting, then a 2nd with the raw setting, and observe the histogram. Post processing the files should give you an idea if using DRO is something you want to do.

I'm sure that many people find DRO a great time saver. I've always been more than satisfied running selected raw's through Photomatix. I prefer having a well exposed raw, with the option to tone-map, rather than a DRO camera jpeg and maybe a less well exposed raw.

Of course, the great thing about digital; the "film" is free. Shoot a lot of pix, with various DRO settings in various lighting conditions, and decide what's best for you.

Regards,
Graham

douglasf13

Agreed. If you're shooting RAW, leave DRO off. While it won't actually affect the RAW, it may trick you by showing your jpeg on the camera's LCD as being correctly exposed.

philip_pj

DRo tends to get short shrift from us RAW shooters, but it is actually very clever technology and extremely useful for OOC JPGs. I use it for snapshots, for good DR control - it will not permit over-exposure. From memory, a UK company called Apical developed it. Gary Friedman has some decent information on it in his Sony camera guides, and recommends it at level 3/4. Often erroneously thought to produce more noise, it actually simply makes noise more visible, if you get the distinction ;-)

see:
http://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&sou...&meta=&aq=f&oq=apical+dro&fp=9fcf06c8f91eef7e
for more.