The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How to distinguish Type G and M screens?

edwardkaraa

Just wondering what are the distinguishing marks? The Canon screens have the screen type engraved on the tab, the Sony ones don't seem to have any engravings.

Luckily I'm still keeping track of what screen is in the camera, but not sure for how long :D

One of the characteristics of the M screen is that is it brighter with a fast lens and darker with a slow lens, so if you have any adapted fast lenses (say a 50/1.4) the G will have a somewhat constant brightness where the M will darken much more as the lens is stopped down. Also the M snaps in and out of focus much stronger where the G always looks somewhat sharp. I have not laid them side by side, but I think the M is a bit more bulbous looking.

Beyond that, probably best to mark which is which on the tab.

edwardkaraa

Thank you Bill for your input. Well, I was kind of hoping there was some mark somewhere that I have failed to notice :(

GrahamB

Edward,

The Brightscreen I tried was marked on edge (the non-tabbed version to determine orientation) by a red felt tip. I don't know why you couldn't mark one or the other of your screens the same way. Here's a link to the Brightscreen installation page, scroll to the bottom for the marked example.
http://brightscreen.com/install.html

edwardkaraa

Thank you Graham. I now have found out that there actually is a difference in the right side tab which is square on the G and stairstepped on the M.

Cheers,
Edward

A

arnoldarever

All of us are well aware of the simple basic use of camera screens...but going deeply within this topic I would like to say that it is really very easy to distinguish among both the kind of screens because they vary depending upon its uses and their diameter...G type screen has a 12mm diameter while the M type has a 5 mm diameter.

All of us are well aware of the simple basic use of camera screens...but going deeply within this topic I would like to say that it is really very easy to distinguish among both the kind of screens because they vary depending upon its uses and their diameter...G type screen has a 12mm diameter while the M type has a 5 mm diameter.
The screen looks to me like a flattened box... what is this "diameter" that you speak of? :D