The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Need a 35mm Lens Recommendation

goonygoogoo

Hello again. I need suggestions on an excellent 35mm lens to use with my A900. So here are my requirements.

1. Slowest it can be is f/2.8
2. It can be a focal length on a zoom, e.g., 16-35mm f/2.8, but it must be sharpest at 35mm
3. Must have creamy bokeh
4. Must be AF
5. D for ADI metering not important
6. It doesn't need to be a Sony or Minolta lens

I will be using the lens primarily for weddings and events. Thanks for any input.

Regards,

George

Last edited:

edwardkaraa

If you want creamy bokeh, the Sony 35G is the best you can get. For everything else, especially sharpness, the Zeiss 24-70 is at its best at 35mm and in my not so humble opinion, is better at this FL than most primes out there.

goonygoogoo

Edward,

Thanks for the suggestion. I see you have both Zeiss 16-35 and 24-70. So you think the 24-70 is sharper at 35 than the 16-35 at 35? Which lens has the creamier bokeh?

Regards,

George

douglasf13

In general, most (if not all) Sony zooms perform their worst at the long end of the zoom range, from what I understand.

L

lightdreamer

3. Must have creamy bokeh
Go for a Sony or Minolta 1.4/35mm if you really want creamy bokeh.

The Minolta 2/35mm are very good, but concerning bokeh
not a competitor to the 1.4.

Regards

lightdreamer

edwardkaraa

Edward,

Thanks for the suggestion. I see you have both Zeiss 16-35 and 24-70. So you think the 24-70 is sharper at 35 than the 16-35 at 35? Which lens has the creamier bokeh?

Regards,

George
Well, as Douglas said, the 35 setting on the 16-35 is probably its weakest. The 24-70 has the sweet spot at 35, and it is stellar. It easily outperformed my manual focus Contax lenses. But the bokeh cannot be described as creamy. It is not bad, but I don't think anyone would buy this lens for the bokeh :D

jsparks

In general, most (if not all) Sony zooms perform their worst at the long end of the zoom range, from what I understand.
The Minolta 28-75mm f/2.8 zoom that I have is significantly better in the 45-75mm range that it is at the wide end (I'd guess that the Sony 28-75mm is similar). One reason I really like this lens, but wish it went even longer (I'd love a really good 35-105/2.8 zoom that was really good at the long end). I'm not that much of a wide angle user (or a really long lens user either). Seems like I remember reading that one of the old Minolta mid-range zooms was a bit better at the long end as well, but can't remember which one it was (maybe the 28-105). Not that many zooms that are better at the long end, however.

Back to the original subject, I have a Minolta 35/1.4 lens that definitely qualifies on the creamy bokeh front. It isn't all that sharp, unfortunately. Not bad, but noticeably less sharp than my other lenses. The Sony 35/1.4 is supposed to be a redesign, but I don't know how much different it is.

gsking

I didn't see much difference between the Sony and Minolta 35mm lenses. Mind you, this is a 2-copy sample. The Sony has ADI encoding and better coatings, must like the 50mm upgrade. Both were "in work" with Minolta before Sony bought them out.

Sounds like if you can live with 2.8, though...a zoom will be more useful for you.

goonygoogoo

Thank you all for your recommendations. I think I've decided that the 35G will be my next purchase followed by the Sony 70-200mm f/2.8. And as many camera owners have said at least a few times, that should do it for my lens purchases for a good long while. :)

ecsh

Thank you all for your recommendations. I think I've decided that the 35G will be my next purchase followed by the Sony 70-200mm f/2.8. And as many camera owners have said at least a few times, that should do it for my lens purchases for a good long while. :)
:ROTFL:Don't know how many times i said that myself:ROTFL: