The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

sony 100 2.8 macro

J

Jamesmd

any not macro shots to show please .

I'm thinking of getting one .

Thanks !

Well, it's a Minolta 100 2.8 macro... close enough? Also this is a focus-stacked close-up; I gather you're looking for portraits & such but this is the only non-macro shot I have up:

J

Jamesmd

Great , thanks . I guess you like it and it's a great lens .
I'm sure I want it but I might have to go for the sigma , it looks ok too . Have you tried it ?

Cheers

James

I have been avoiding Sigma. The Sigma kit lenses that came with my first A-mount camera back in the 80's were disappointing junk; I didn't realize this until I tried then bought my first Minolta lens, the 28-135. I keep hearing that certain Sigma lenses are pretty good IF you get a good copy; quality control still seems to be an issue with them. Have you checked the Buy & Sell on Dyxum for a Sony/Minolta macro? I'm pretty sure there is at least one 100 macro and a 100 f2 for sale there now.

ecsh

The hit or miss rate is pretty poor with Sigma. I really do not feel like boxing up a lens to send back for another, at least once, probably more. Until they really do something about this, i refuse to even think of them as a lens supplier.

J

Jamesmd

Well first day out with the lens , still learning it but I love it , I think its going to be difficult to take it of the camera :)

here are some shots

cheers

Glad to see you're having fun, James. :) You'll find that the lens is wicked sharp throughout its range, and makes an excellent portrait lens if you don't mind toning down the detail/blemishes a bit in PP. I have been occupied adjusting MFA on all of my lenses and as usual was blown away by how it rendered every speck of dust on the LensAlign, even from several feet away.

Stuff is blooming in the yard, I need to capture some of the goodness before it fades; your pics are a great reminder of that.

Here are a few that I snapped this weekend. Thanks for the post James, got me off my butt before the blooms are all gone. :D

All pics ISO 320, varying amounts of fill from Minolta ringflash. There was a bit of a breeze, which made for a sad keeper rate but I had fun. :)

Bougainvillea(1/100 f11):

Vinca, shadow on ivy leaf is from the sun, very low in the sky, ~6pm (1/100 f11).

Cherry blossoms, (1/125 f11):

Cherry blossoms, (1/125 f11):

On that last one I was trying hard to capture the special quality of the light as it shone through the petals, but it eluded me... I didn't quite get there.

J

Jamesmd

great you are having fun !! :thumbup:
I have to get the trick of the proper f to use and I might go for a ring flash if I stick to macro photo .

I hope I can send some better shots soon . :)

cheers

james

V

vtube

Very nice pictures!

How are the specular highlights?

In my old 100 macro they are 9-side sized, but not circular. I see some magenta (befor focus plane) and green (beyond) CA highlights even at F/8, pretty hard to remove.

Maybe Sony is better.

--
Andrea Olivotto
http://www.andreaolivotto.com