The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony NEX5 official release next week!

Rawfa

Iso comparison to m4/3 :D Just tell me where to buy it. I'm getting the whole nine yards...zoom, pancake, wide angle converter...It shouldn't take long for a leather cover :)

V

Vivek

Iso comparison to m4/3 :D Just tell me where to buy it. I'm getting the whole nine yards...zoom, pancake, wide angle converter...It shouldn't take long for a leather cover :)
When you can post a comparison shot like that why would you want buy one? :rolleyes:

Where is that picture from, who did it?

bradhusick

The lenses look huge, yet they're pretty slow. Where's the Leica-M adapter? I want to put my 35 cron v4 on it.

The magnification factor is 1.5x, so somebody create the mount, quick, and my 35 cron becomes a 52.5mm f/2 lens! Here's the tasty beast idea...

Last edited:

photoSmart42

Interesting looking camera. Can't say I like how it looks, but the proof will be in what else it can do with other lenses. Do we know yet if it has a 'shoot-without-lens' mode, or does it only work with Alpha lenses? The sensor output looks promising.

Personally I didn't buy a G1/GH1 for the size difference, and the NEX isn't compact enough to qualify as a pocketable camera - I'll buy an S90 for that. I'll be curious to see where the market ends up placing the NEX.

Lars

It seems really small for a camera with interchangeable lenses. However the lens prototypes seem to have gained size (presumably due to flange focal distance) so the thinness is a bit lost. Brad's mockup above would need a 1" (or something like that) extension pipe for his lens to focus properly.

charlesphoto

Looks like it could be a cool camera (I love the X1 but not the price) but what was Sony thinking about those lens choices???!!! (I'm not talking about the physical size).

A 28 or 35 (35mm equivalent) would be much better for an initial prime. And how about a 28-50 (35 equiv) constant aperture (or 2.8-4) zoom.

Anyway, I might bite once/if more prime lenses are announced. I prefer primes to the slow battering ram looking kit zoom, but a 24 doesn't do much for me (that's whay I have an M9 and a D3).

Rawfa

I'm sure it's just a matter of time until the adapters start showing up. Being so tiny it looks like it could go great with a set of small compact primes. I hope I'm able to use my pentax 50mm f1.4 on it.

monza

Does any review have word of whether there is any magnified focus assist or shoot without lens option?

I read this one, but nothing there...

charlesphoto

I'm sure it's just a matter of time until the adapters start showing up. Being so tiny it looks like it could go great with a set of small compact primes. I hope I'm able to use my pentax 50mm f1.4 on it.
Thing is I don't want a camera like this for adapting manual focus only primes. I want it to do everything for me - it's essentially a p&s. Otherwise I'll carry my M and not bother. Never really understood this whole adapting thing (and my apologies to those who do).

ustein

Contributing Editor

If this comparison is correct the NEX cameras have a strong point. Sony also announced new camcorders based on the E mount.

bradhusick

Charles,
Actually I agree completely with you. I have an m-adapter for my GF-1 / GH1 and never use it. If I am going to use MF Leica glass, I want a Leica camera behind them.

The one case where an adapter has made sense for me is putting long Leica-R lenses on the GH1 for sports, where I am shooting the goalie at a constant distance from me, so MF is fine.

Also, I agree with your comment "what was Sony thinking?" on these lenses. Why cripple a nice sensor with such slow glass? Well, eventually one of these companies will figure out how to combine a big sensor with fast glass in a small package and then my wallet will be even emptier. I think I will pass on this Sony. I am looking forward to Terry's opinions on it once she tries it.

bradhusick

It seems really small for a camera with interchangeable lenses. However the lens prototypes seem to have gained size (presumably due to flange focal distance) so the thinness is a bit lost. Brad's mockup above would need a 1" (or something like that) extension pipe for his lens to focus properly.
Here ya' go...

Last edited:

ustein

Contributing Editor
>Also, I agree with your comment "what was Sony thinking?" on these lenses.

They think of the mass market :). Also faster zoom will get quite big on this body. Will be interesting to see how WA lenses will behave with this sensor. With the E-P1 there were quite a few problems.

Ben Rubinstein

How hard can it be for pany, oly or sony to make a fast 50mm equivelent, even f1.8 would do, I don't want 40mm equivelent or 60mm or whatever, just want a fast 50mm... :deadhorse:

douglasf13

Lars, there is only around a 9 millimeter difference in registration distance between NEX and M. So, the adapter would only be around 1/4" deep.

Charles, I'd obviously prefer a digital M to mount M lenses to, but this NEX could be a godsend for those of us that can't drop that kind of money on a body. I'll probably get the NEX and throw a ZM 35 f2 on the sucker.

H

hardloaf

If this comparison is correct the NEX cameras have a strong point. Sony also announced new camcorders based on the E mount.
These are noise filtered conversions, actual 3200 out of NEX is not that clean at all. It's indeed a lot better than EPL1 and others though. It also looks noticeably more noisy than A900 even at ISO200 on samples from imaging-resource.com .

charlesphoto

Lars, there is only around a 9 millimeter difference in registration distance between NEX and M. So, the adapter would only be around 1/4" deep.

Charles, I'd obviously prefer a digital M to mount M lenses to, but this NEX could be a godsend for those of us that can't drop that kind of money on a body. I'll probably get the NEX and throw a ZM 35 f2 on the sucker.
I guess what I'm getting at is why can't these companies make the proper lenses to begin with? Where's the 24mm f2, etc?

Lars

Like Uwe said, look at the pricing this is a mass-market consumer camera, expect the standard kit zooms first. Then down the road we might see a few primes.