The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony NEX5 official release next week!

ustein

Contributing Editor
>Sony also announced new camcorders based on the E mount.

This I find even more interesting.

gsking

I was going to nix this thing based on manual focus...but then I had a thought...

We have focus trapping on the current cameras, right? (Hold shutter, camera fires when AF sensor detects focus).

Well, if we have CD focusing, can't we do the same thing, but with extra precision and control?

I can imagine the camera identifying the face(s) in the image, and me focusing my Maxxum (or 58 1.2 or M42) lens manually, or moving back and forth, until the camera detects perfect focus in the perfect location. SNAP!

If so, I may actually buy one.

Rawfa

I'll be placing my order as soon as the NEX5 is available.
Hey Monza, how are your Sony connections? ;-)

dhsimmonds

The 2 second from switching on to being able to fire the shutter and a similar delay from the "sleep" mode regrettably makes it a no, no for me. I remember my Leica DMR took a long time to fire up and it drove me mad!

The A900 is always ready and has never failed to get the shot....it is only myself that wasn't quick enough sometimes! For that reason alone I will pass on this little cam, regrettably. The sensor looks fabulous though and I hope that Sony will put it into an APS-C replacement for the A700 soon and also extend the technolgy to FF with a replacement for the A900.

P

panamamike

There's quite a bit of excitement around this camera. However, I wonder how much of it is marketing hype. Looking at the ISO 1600 samples on imaging-resource I found the lens to be quite soft. Take a look here, tell me which shot looks sharper. Sony NEX5 vs GH1.

There have been a few others sites that have posted sample shots, and many of them have this soft look. I'm guessing it's due to NR. Sony needs to give us the option of no NR.

Mike

Lars

And it's a prerelease sample. Wait for the production sample reviews.

BTW some rumor site mentioned an upcoming NEX7 with 1080p video and a larger body.

P

panamamike

I agree, the jury is still out on these cameras, will be interesting to see final production units in use.

It would also be nice to see a more manual SLR like camera in a NEX7.

Mike

Rawfa

I've read in many places that these NEX cameras use an optimized version of the sensor that the Alpha 550 uses, which would be very good news, since this sensor very good when it comes to high iso and dynamic range.

Rawfa

Rayqual developing lens mount adapters for Sony NEX cameras:
One of the things that helped make Micro Four Thirds popular among photographers was the ability to mount other-mount lenses on M43rds cameras. Today DC Watch Impress notes that Rayqual has announced that it is developing lens-mount adapters for the NEX cameras that will allow the mounting of Leica M, Contax-Yashica, Pentax K and DA, Canon FD, Nikon G (with/without adapter rings). Please note this is based on computer-translation so it may contain errors or confusions :)
source: http://www.1001noisycameras.com/201...lens-mount-adapters-for-sony-nex-cameras.html

Mark K

I wonder if there are more mount adapters for other lenses. I also hope a higher mode like nex7 will have larger body, EVF, hotshoe, more controls and inbody IS

Rawfa

I have absolutely no doubt that the NEX system will have as many mount adapters as the m4/3 does now...of course, due to the mount larger size there maybe smaller mounts that work on the m4/3 system that won't work on the NEX system.