The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEX Video on YouTube - E and Alpha Lenses (135/1.8 - 135 STF)

peterv

Yes I saw that video too. Very interesting possibilities with the adaptor on the NEX. Just wish the guy could stop panning the cam for one sec...

V

Vivek

I am not into video at all. But, I can't understand what is "sweet", "great", etc about it? :confused:

S

Shelby Lewis

I am not into video at all. But, I can't understand what is "sweet", "great", etc about it? :confused:
Well... I'm not seeing jello-cam, for one thing (like my 5Dii is so prone to), but I've not gone over it with a fine tooth comb... colors look pretty natural, and the fact that you have very nice HD video with the zeiss "look" on a $700 camera is "sweet" to me. Even for youtube, there are minimal artifacts.

It's not a be all, end all. Very high quality video... fantastic lenses... pretty low price.

That's pretty sweet to me. YMMV.

ecsh

What i like is a couple of scenes where the close up flowers are in focus, but the distant view is not. Don't recall seeing it like this before in any other videos.

Mark K

Well, I am still struggling with 5D II for video shooting..and dunno if Nex ones are better in terms of AF etc

Rawfa

I've worked with video for over 10 years and I can assure everyone here that one of the most revolutionary things that has ever happened to the digital video world was DSLRs that can shoot video. Even professional cameras with larger sensors don't have a sensor that has the amount of dynamic dynamic range and DOF that a DSLR camera does. Add to that the fact that you may use pro lenses and there isn't much more to be said. With a one or two thousand dollar investment you could be shooting video that can be passed as professional with a real film look that people could only dream of years ago. Today you do have pro video cameras that can mach the dynamic range and even do a better job compression/codec wise, but they cost 5 times the price of a DSLR (MINIMUM). The last episode of House was shot entirely on a Canon 5D and there is a A LOT of pro work being done with DSLRs that shoot video. Video on DSLRs is like 2 years old, so it's still like a baby in the face of technology. Once this technology has matured it will become the benchmark and baseline standard for digital video. It is no surprise that companies like Pana and Sony are working on actual video cameras that use a DSLR sensor and have a DSLR mount. It's the future of digital video.

Last edited:
V

Vivek

I think the first sentence you've written just answered your own question.
Not sure about that. One does not need to shoot video using a DSLR/still camera hybrid to know the quality of the linked video does not appear to go anywhere near the words used to describe it.

America's funniest home videos had a mix of various quality. Any viewer of that would be able recognize where the quality fits.

Rawfa

If you really cannot see what's to be seen and you really don't care about video then there is nothing to be said. I will not go into broadcast standards, frequencies, progressive, interlaced, the evolution of video, charts, comparisons, perceived IQ vs actual IQ, professional agreed acceptance vs public general public overview, etc, just to make a point that is already chrystal clear for video people.

V

Vivek

First of all, I would like to thank Terry for bringing back some decorum.

Secondly, Shelby, thanks for your gracious answer. I did not overlook it but got sidetracked by someone else picking on a previous post.

The contention was what can one see in terms of quality from the sample that is available?

Nothing that I can discern from the Youtube video clip regarding that and no amount of name throwing and other things help to create something that isn't there.