The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Keeping up with Sony's models

V

Vivek

I have not seen anyone using Sony's A350 (14mp CCD APS-C sensor) in which I am quite interested.

I thought I missed buying one but it got replaced with a better looking A380.

I was still trying to decide on the A380, now I find that Sony are releasing two "new" models- the A290 and the A390 (same sensor that got my attention).

It would be nice if they would make a NEX using the same sensor.

Any predictions if that would happen?

douglasf13

Docmoore, I would wait until Panasonic and Sony (and other makes) bring their dedicated video cameras, like this NEX: http://www.dpreview.com/news/1005/10051103sonycamcorder.asp

DSLR video for advanced users is just a stop gap until interchangeable lens video cameras with lower prices and a video form factor are available. You can bet that, once Canon brings a large sensor EOS mount video camera, you won't see many pros using 5Dii's for video. DSLR form factors just aren't ideal for video.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Docmoore, I would wait until Panasonic and Sony (and other makes) bring their dedicated video cameras, like this NEX: http://www.dpreview.com/news/1005/10051103sonycamcorder.asp

DSLR video for advanced users is just a stop gap until interchangeable lens video cameras with lower prices and a video form factor are available. You can bet that, once Canon brings a large sensor EOS mount video camera, you won't see many pros using 5Dii's for video. DSLR form factors just aren't ideal for video.
You are correct...I have been enticed by the recent threads about the GH1 hack and have spent a fair amount of time looking at video in a new light...maybe not a dedicated video cam but another venue to explore when traveling.

Bob

M

melvillebutler

I am still using Sony A905. It is still give me nice images. I have also maintain the color as easier . I know that It give me epic features. Sony is much stable than other model. So I am still use it.

philip_pj

Unless the hungry ghost has you in its thrall, an A900 family DSLR with:

. a more robust and better placed cable release socket, away from the strap lug;
. a more refined, quieter shutter;
. a dedicated RAW histogram display, showing f-stops and vertical 'end of DR range' lines, along with auto RAW software depiction for it;
. a better standard strap;
. a C button with a 'no option' option to avoid unintentional setting changes, or a new place for it;
. a set of Sony mount Z lenses: 21/2.8, 28/2, 35/2, 50/1.4 and 100/2;
. a light high IQ standard zoom for the weight conscious;
. better battery life and dual CF card writing;
. 30Mp.

That's about it, but it's fine as it is; for low ISO work the sensor is near to ideal, with splendid high tone roll-off, colour separation and shadow colour gamut. If, as rumoured by Nikonista Thom Hogan, Sony discontinues the A850/900 series, they will be very cheap for some time, cheap enough to buy several spare bodies and shoot away happily for many years.

roweraay

I have not seen anyone using Sony's A350 (14mp CCD APS-C sensor) in which I am quite interested.

I thought I missed buying one but it got replaced with a better looking A380.

I was still trying to decide on the A380, now I find that Sony are releasing two "new" models- the A290 and the A390 (same sensor that got my attention).

It would be nice if they would make a NEX using the same sensor.

Any predictions if that would happen?
Why don't you look at the A550, which is a serious improvement over the A3xx series, has all of it that comes on the A350, including the "fast liveview" with secondary sensor, and additionally comes with main-sensor Live-view too (which Sony calls as manual-focus-check live-view) ? The A550 will humiliate the A3xx series, all the way from the lowest of ISOs and onto ISO 6400 (where the A3xx does not even go).

Just a thought.