The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Need Feedback RE: Sony A550

fotografz

Has anyone got any user experiences with the Sony A550? Or know anything about this camera? When was it introduced?

I am considering getting one as a second camera to my A900 wedding camera.

I currently use two A900s, but am interested in a smaller second camera that provides a few different features.

Specifically, is the A550 any better than a A900 at higher ISOs? Like ISO 1600? Some reports seem to indicate it is.

Is the AF any good?

I like the notion of a swivel LCD with real AF for some overhead and low angle shots ... (my knees are shot from sports, and it'd be great to avoid squatting ... LOL!)

To keep it all small, I'd probably just use the Sony 50/1.4 for most shots ... and bring a little Minolta 24-105/3.5/4.5 strictly as back-up to the A900 with ZA 24-70/2.8.

Might even add a new HVL-F20 flash for fill to continue with the "small" theme.

BTW, I know this is a crop frame camera, which is fine since it isn't the main "big dog", but still can function as a back-up in an emergency the same way I used a D300 to back up my previous D3X wedding system.

Thanks in advance for any input,

-Marc

Terry

Marc,
I think the A550 has the same sensor that just went into the new NEX cameras and indeed if that is the case there seems to be a real ISO advantage over the A900. However, I haven't done any work yet to compare a reduced in size file the A900 compared to the NEX.

fotografz

Marc,
I think the A550 has the same sensor that just went into the new NEX cameras and indeed if that is the case there seems to be a real ISO advantage over the A900. However, I haven't done any work yet to compare a reduced in size file the A900 compared to the NEX.
Thanks, I suspected that was the case.

I do grasp what you're saying about reducing a A900 shot then comparing noise ... but if even equal at ISO 1600, I'd opt for the A550 as second camera for the additional features like the being smaller ... plus Live View AF and tilt LCD screen ... both of which would be of use at a wedding.

Keep it coming folks ... I have a wedding on the 10th and want to make a decision early to give it a shake down before using.

-Marc

E

Endos

When was it introduced?
Around September last year.

I am considering getting one as a second camera to my A900 wedding camera.

I currently use two A900s, but am interested in a smaller second camera that provides a few different features.

Specifically, is the A550 any better than a A900 at higher ISOs? Like ISO 1600? Some reports seem to indicate it is.
On screen is about the same. At the same print size the A900 is around one stop better.

Is the AF any good?
It's about the same as the A700, so isn't as good as the A900 AF but pretty close. For indors, the main problem is the lack of AF assist lamp in that body.

I like the notion of a swivel LCD with real AF for some overhead and low angle shots ... (my knees are shot from sports, and it'd be great to avoid squatting ... LOL!)

To keep it all small, I'd probably just use the Sony 50/1.4 for most shots ... and bring a little Minolta 24-105/3.5/4.5 strictly as back-up to the A900 with ZA 24-70/2.8.
The Minolta has not the same optical level but is light and compact.

Might even add a new HVL-F20 flash for fill to continue with the "small" theme.
Much better than the pop-up flash. And you can use it as a wireless controller in your A900.

BTW, I know this is a crop frame camera, which is fine since it isn't the main "big dog", but still can function as a back-up in an emergency the same way I used a D300 to back up my previous D3X wedding system.

Thanks in advance for any input,

-Marc
Colors are not as accurate, and ergonomy is much lower, but if you can live with that is not a bad camera.

Regards,
Juan

P

princehellan

Sony A550 brings to the Alpha lineup that hasn't been introduced in other Alpha cameras of the past for its placement in the lineup. In my opinion the greatest useful new additions are the Auto HDR mode, and Manual Focus Check live view. All of the others are marginal increases in performance or of limited overall use when compared to the similarly priced Alpha A700.