The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Let's hear your opinion on.....

durrIII

the Sony NEX5, the Pano GF1 and the Oly EP2. Knowing what you know now, which would you buy? Some of you have owned all three, so if you could only pick one, which one would it be?

Thanks

kevinparis

as an e-p1 owner there is only one choice for me - E-P2

1) best EVF
2) In body stabilisation
3) looks and feels right in my hand

Briefly picked up a NEX in a store, and while i admired the small form factor, it actually felt too small for the lenses.

as for the potential - well you should never buy on potential, but on what it does today.

K

Terry

the Sony NEX5, the Pano GF1 and the Oly EP2. Knowing what you know now, which would you buy? Some of you have owned all three, so if you could only pick one, which one would it be?

Thanks
The NEX is important to me based on the compatibility with the rest of my Sony system.

M4/3 has a more robust native lens lineup than NEX. Legacy lenses not clear yet if Wider APS-C sensor will cause bigger corner problems.

The E-PL1 to me has a better UI than the E-P2. Personally, I really dislike the E-P1 (and most of the E-P2) user interface. The removable EVF on Oly is better than the one for the GF1.

Hard to advise on one. Strengths and weaknesses with each.

gsking

I'd get a NEX-7 to get APS-C and image stabilization...but I'm pretty sure Sony will disable the stabilization for non-native lenses. Ergo, they will probably lose a sale.

SONY, ARE YOU LISTENING? ;)

Rawfa

I was in a similar situation. I ended up putting my E-P1 for sale (gotta say I´m one of those who REALLY like it´s user interface) and getting a GF1 body (mostly for the video and AF speed). I REALLY strugled not to get a NEX camera, but I have felt it´s too soon to tell where these cameras are going. I remember that I bought the E-P1 as soon as it hit the market and then the E-P2 and the EPL1 came out right after it. I´ll just wait. Maybe the NEX7 will have better user interface, in camera IS and faster AF. I have to say that everytime I look at the images produced by the NEX cameras I have to reason with my self not to buy it though. I would love to try my Pentax 50mm 1.4 and my Nikon 85mm 1.8 with these NEX cameras!

jonoslack

HI There
Well, I've only spent half an hour with a NEX, and I thought it was a lovely thing . . . . but it seemed to me that any but the pancake lens was going to be pretty big - Terry's idea of it's supporting her Alpha kit also made it tempting . . . but the IS is in the lenses, not the sensor (correct me if I'm wrong). So that even if I did use it for backup, and even if I didn't mind the huge imbalance between lens and body size, I'd still be missing IS on the lenses I like to use, not to mention AF.

The GF1 is lovely . . . . but once again, no IS for 3rd party lenses, and I do like to use my 90 elmarit for a 180mm f2.8 . . . but image stabilisation is rather important. I also felt the build quality left something to be desired.

The user interface on the EP2 I have now seems to be fine now I've got to grips with it, the build quality is great - the AF much improved after the firmware updates. The EVF works when you need it.

So - at least for the time being I shall be keeping to the EP2.

all the best

douglasf13

I'd get a NEX-7 to get APS-C and image stabilization...but I'm pretty sure Sony will disable the stabilization for non-native lenses. Ergo, they will probably lose a sale.

SONY, ARE YOU LISTENING? ;)
If a NEX-7 ever happens and has SSS, it wouldn't be surprised if SSS works, but, like with Sony's DSLRs, you'll need a way for the lens to communicate the focal length to the camera, so it can calculate SSS correctly. Ideally, being able to enter the focal length via menu would be an option.

Terry

Jono - for my Alpha lenses they will mostly be on a tripod.

Rawfa - I don't think anyone has said the AF on the Sony is slow. My quibble would be at close range getting it to pick what I want it focus on but same issue with all the brands.

jonoslack

Jono - for my Alpha lenses they will mostly be on a tripod.
Tripod?
erm . . . I'm sure I heard something about a tripod some time ago . . .weren't they invaders from outer space?:eek:
:ROTFL:

I do understand - I wasn't for a second criticising your decision . . . just that it doesn't really work for me (nex with 135 f1.8 handheld . . . probably not :) )

Terry

I wasn't taking it a criticism just full disclosure for Rawfa on how I was going to use it.

For non tripod with NEX:
I love the alpha 24-105 lens and even handheld on the NEX. I'm not wild about the fact that it doesn't close focus.

The 50 f1.4 with adapter felt really good on the camera and it is making it's way to me now through the mail from B&H.

V

Vivek

I am still undecided about NEX. Absence of EVF and the half tilt LCD is not going make it very useful. Also, there is no chance of using a bigger flash than the screw-plug flash

I appreciate the short camera registry, the ultra compact design and the high ISO performance.

Knowing Sony, prices of these will come down quite a bit in a few months.

By that time NEX-7 and 9 will be in the market.

Rawfa

I´m with Jono. What´s the point of making the camera body super small when it´s lenses are big. It may be smaller than the GF1 but it still won´t fit on your jeans pocket.

Rawfa

I agree with Vivek. I think the best strategy right now is to wait and see what Sony is hiding.

V

Vivek

Jono, While using a system (or several in case of some) what harm is there to wait and see? Especially when a new system is lacking in things according to the standards set by some others (Panasonic in my case when it comes to mirrorless cams).

Otherwise, like my Samsung NX10 (still available for sale :ROTFL:) it is not going to be very fruitful.

V

Vivek

No worries, Jono. :)

BTW, I would like to mention here that I have skipped the G2 of Panasonic because it lacks any substantive improvements over the G1 and still sports that old sensor (which is in dire need of a marked improvement).

Last edited:

monza

Vivek, speaking of the NX10, how is sensor coverage with the Pen F lenses? I assume no issue.

With regards to the NEX, although the interface isn't perfect I find it much more palatable than the Oly interface. The E-P2/E-PL1 has very good IQ and great EVF, which is a difficult feature to give up, but 1.5x crop factor of NEX is inviting...

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I bought a G2 since I didn't have a G1 and wanted an evf better than that on the gf1.
Actually the touch screen focus point is pretty handy for tripod work too.
-bob