The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony NEX-VG10, 18-200 E-mount

monza

Our Sony rep came by today and had some goodies.

The NEX-VG10 will also take 14mp stills. For those who want an EVF on their NEX, I guess this is the solution. :)

18-200mm should be about $699, will be released in September along with the camcorder.

More pics here.

ustein

Contributing Editor
First I hope they fix moire. So far the NEX-5 is not really good in video because of moire)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

The NEX-VG10 will also take 14mp stills. For those who want an EVF on their NEX, I guess this is the solution. :)

18-200mm should be about $699, will be released in September along with the camcorder.

More pics here.

[/IMG]
Exactly the combo I would like to get, plus a couple of these:

barjohn

Is Voightlander offering an adapter for M lenses on the E mount?

Ustein, I haven't seen any sign of moire with the NEX 5 yet and I have shot fences where I would have expected to see it. I assumed it was because it had a strong AA filter. I would actually prefer to see some as it would mean it had a weak AA filter with my preference being no AA filter.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Just heard from the distributor; August.

I know there are others available, but I'm old fashioned: I like to deal with real people in a real shop. Sometimes, when there are minor problems, they fix my cameras for free, and I always get coffee when I go there to chat with other photo nerds :)

bradhusick

This from Luminous-Landscape:

Sony has announced the NEX-VG10, a hybrid video / stills camera that uses the same APS-C sized sensor used in the recently introduced NEX still cameras. It will become available in September at a US price of $2,000, including an 18-200mm lens.

Pretty cool, you say. But, when you read the specs you'll find that the camera can only shoot video in 1080/60i mode. Yes – interlace mode only. No progressive. And no 720 mode. ?????

Memo to Sony: No one wants interlaced video any more. It's old technology from more than 50 years ago. All computer monitors and current TVs are progressive devices. At least the VG10 should have had 30P. 24P would have been very nice as well and might have made creative film makers looking for narrow DOF excited. But, 60i? Fail!

Though the VG10 can shoot 14MP stills, Sony has eliminated raw mode. So the question has to be asked, who is this camera for? It's video modes seem crippled as do its stills modes.

I'll let you know when I get one for testing – if Sony is still speaking to me after this rant.

barjohn

Brad,

You are making a common mistake that others have made. The camera and the NEX 5 only record in progressive mode. The recording is wrapped in an interlaced package because there is no AVCHD standard for 1080P at 30fps. It is confusing and some vendors hide this fact. There are numerous threads on this topic.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>The recording is wrapped in an interlaced package because there is no AVCHD standard for 1080P at 30fps.

True, but still a PITA. This also does not prevent Panasonic to record 1080p60 as kind of AVCHD. In the end it looks like AVCHD is not a good format for more advanced video capture.

I am more worried about the moire (if it is like the NEX-5).

ustein

Contributing Editor
>And no 720 mode. ?????

Why do you want this? For even more moire? If you want 60p why not at 1080p? The Panasonic TM700 can do this.

ustein

Contributing Editor
Is Voightlander offering an adapter for M lenses on the E mount?

Ustein, I haven't seen any sign of moire with the NEX 5 yet and I have shot fences where I would have expected to see it. I assumed it was because it had a strong AA filter. I would actually prefer to see some as it would mean it had a weak AA filter with my preference being no AA filter.
The NEX-5 has very strong aliasing.

Check this video for low moire:

http://vimeo.com/11597003

and this for strong:

http://vimeo.com/9987516

In my brief tests the NEX-5 is as least as bad. That is why I was asking.

V

Vivek

No thanks!

Instead of the peanut flash of the NEX-5, I want a decent (Panasonic G1 quality- I know that is asking for a bit too much) quality EVF.

roweraay

I know that is asking for a bit too much) quality EVF.
Why is that "asking for a bit too much" ? If (or when) they provide an EVF, I would expect that to be comparable to the other such products in the market. :confused:

As it stands, one of the local premier Sony retailers mentioned that a clip-on type EVF is arriving for the NEX3/5, and I hope that happens soon (announcement and availability before Photokina ?).

V

Vivek

Why is that "asking for a bit too much" ? If (or when) they provide an EVF, I would expect that to be comparable to the other such products in the market. :confused:

As it stands, one of the local premier Sony retailers mentioned that a clip-on type EVF is arriving for the NEX3/5, and I hope that happens soon (announcement and availability before Photokina ?).
One can expect anything compared to the best* in the market but if that would happen is another matter. Let us hope that the purported clip on EVF for NEX-5 would be of the quality provided by the integrated EVF of the G1.

It is asking for too much (ie instead of the peanut flash) because even the dumb optical viewfinder for the 16mm lens is atrociously priced, IMO.

* I have looked at the Olympus and Pana clip ons and the Samsung NX10 EVF. The one in G1 is a cut above all these.