The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

24/2 finally

Irenaeus

Great!

BUT, it leaves a little, tiny room for doubt in my own mind about FUTURE releases, in that it says that the 24mm *...ROUNDS OUT the existing Planar (SAL85F14Z) and Sonnar (SAL135F18Z) models also developed in conjunction with Carl Zeiss.*

That leads me to wonder if this mightn't be the last of the ZA lenses for the alpha cameras.

Hopefully, the copyrighter didn't mean what I think it says.

edwardkaraa

With Sony, everything's possible :)

But of course, hopefully not. Just bad wording me thinks. I doubt it if the author would know that much.

C

cbaldeck

Carl Zeiss primes are the best of the best, IMO. Although Sony has the 24mm focal length pretty well covered with its 16-35 & 24-70 zooms, I'd love to have a faster wide prime which is well corrected for coma, in order to try doing some night landscapes with stars, but without trailing. This is a pretty demanding task and requires top performance wide open. From what I've read, not many lenses are really up to it, but I'm hoping this one is.

Charles

P

panyawong

The only thing left I would like them to release is a 50/1.2 planar or actually 1.4 would be suffice, with SSM of course. :)

E

espressogeek

Bob, I agree the use of a the A700 is not idea but even the full frame shots look lame to me. I seem to feel this away about most any shot I see from DPreview. I cant wait to see some samples from other sources.

A700 not full frame on many of the samples for one...:ROTFL:

Bob

jonoslack

Bob, I agree the use of a the A700 is not idea but even the full frame shots look lame to me. I seem to feel this away about most any shot I see from DPreview. I cant wait to see some samples from other sources.
Those who can photograph do . . . . . those who can't review
:ROTFL:

Sorry, it's past my bedtime.

E

espressogeek

Jono, I don't know if that maxim is universally true but it appears to be so in the case. I've been thinking of swapping to the A850 or A900 for a while and the lack of a Zeiss wide and fifty have been holding me back. It appears that now we are half way there. Perhaps I could make do without the fifty.

barjohn

I'm kind of surprised no one has said anything about the 35/1.8 that appears to be more reasonably priced and will work with the Sony adapter (except for AF).

jonoslack

Jono, I don't know if that maxim is universally true but it appears to be so in the case. I've been thinking of swapping to the A850 or A900 for a while and the lack of a Zeiss wide and fifty have been holding me back. It appears that now we are half way there. Perhaps I could make do without the fifty.
Well, worth mentioning that the Sony/minolta 50 f1.4 is a perfectly okay lens - not Zeiss standard maybe (or price), but it works well on the A900.

all the best.

jonoslack

I'm kind of surprised no one has said anything about the 35/1.8 that appears to be more reasonably priced and will work with the Sony adapter (except for AF).
Hi John
I think thats because this is the little enclave for Sony FF geeks, and the 35 f1.8, interesting though it may be, is an APSC lens.

all the best

E

espressogeek

Jono, Thanks for the info on the 50/1.4. I have used it briefly on my buddies A900 and while it is great stopped down it lacks the resolution I look for when shot wide open. I want to take the A900 with me where I take my 5D today and I need that wide open performance. I could probably live without it by using an alt lens but it would be nice to have a better alternative there. Nikon has proven you can make a great 50/1.4 for a reasonable price and I hope that other companies step up to that level of performance since I shoot 50/1.4 a lot.

Sorry to have taken this thread off topic. I'm really looking forward to the first real samples of the new 24/2.