The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEX-3 or NEX-5?

T

tokengirl

If I don't need or want the HD video, the NEX-3 is basically the same camera inside, yes? (I understand the body size and material is a little different).

All I want is to have something small I can take pictures with, the 16mm lens is an ideal focal length for me.

Is there some other reason I should get the 5 over the 3 that I am missing?

MPK2010

If I don't need or want the HD video, the NEX-3 is basically the same camera inside, yes? (I understand the body size and material is a little different).

All I want is to have something small I can take pictures with, the 16mm lens is an ideal focal length for me.

Is there some other reason I should get the 5 over the 3 that I am missing?
I also planned to get the NEX 3 but after handling them both I found that the build quality/ergonomic differences felt more substantial than I expected based on the review pictures, and I went with the NEX 5. I think video is the key spec difference, although I read that there is also some difference involving remote trigger ability.

Terry

I liked the ergonomics and feel of the NEX5 better. I do plan on using the NEX cameras on a tripod part of the time (if shooting with my big alpha lenses) and the NEX 5 can use the remote (not a cable an actual remote control) that the NEX 3 can't use. As I know it the only three differences are as stated

body style/size/materials
video
remote shutter

T

tokengirl

I think I'll take a trip up to the SonyStyle store and check them both out. I think the ergonomics will probably be the deciding factor. I've never used the video feature on my 5DMkII, the only mild interest I have in video is little quick fishing videos when we're out on the boat, and my G10 handles that just fine. I think the remote capability of the NEX-5 is going to be lost on me, as I don't see myself going beyond the camera with the 16mm lens shoved in my pocket when I don't feel like lugging the 5DMkII/tripod/lenses kit.

Thanks for clarifying the (practically non-existant) difference.

hot

NEX3 sure is good, but for a difference of 20%=$100 I would prefer NEX5
material, handling, full hd, IR remote ... if you think you don't need it .. it's not MY money :)

Rawfa

According to the DXO website the NEX5 has a bit more dynamic range than the NEX3. Since the sensor is the same this sounds weird though...

hot

... and you believe all, what self-appointed gurus say ... ? but no man sees

Rawfa

No, I don't...buy since nobody else has done any other testing regarding this particular point (dynamic range) this is the only source of information I have so far. If YOU have any other sources please DO share. I think it would be much more useful for all than simply questioning information other people are posting.

T

tokengirl

Well I went to the Sony Style store at the mall today. The air conditioning in the store was blowing hot air, and the salesman told me they did not have any kits with the 16mm lens and that I would have to buy the kit with the zoom lens instead and then he could sell me the 16mm lens on top of that.

Realizing that I already have plenty of cameras, none of which required me to buy additional accessories I did not want, I left and went to the Apple store where they had air conditioning that was functioning properly and all models of the iPad in stock.

Guess what I came home with? (Hint: it wasn't a NEX 3 or 5)

LizaWitz

iPads are great. I'm reading the forum from ine now.

I'm waffling on the same 3vs5 delimma. I'd forgotten Sony style stores existed so maybe soon we can go to the big city and handle the models in person.

But it seems to be that best buy and walmart should be all over these models since they are Sony and these stores sell low end dslrs.

R

Razii

According to the DXO website the NEX5 has a bit more dynamic range than the NEX3. Since the sensor is the same this sounds weird though...
The DXO numbers for both cameras are within margin of error and sample variation.

R

Razii

But it seems to be that best buy and walmart should be all over these models since they are Sony and these stores sell low end dslrs.
Some BestBuy stores do have Nex-3. The problem is that stocks are low, and even SonyStyle website is out of stock on some variation of the kit. It will be a while before they show up in stores like BestBuy.

gsking

Just don't start longing for the IBIS of the Nex-7. ;)

That's what I'm curious about, but it probably won't work (or work well) with manual lenses, as the camera won't know the focal length.

A

anselgrey23

I think these NEX cameras getting support for cabel remote commander, so in BULB mode on NEX3 you really only got one option. That is press shutter button twice. Or maybe even worse, hold it also down. Not good, but I don't use BULB that much so for me not a big problem.