The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I hate to be the one bringing you bad news

Eoin

Jono, I agree, it would look like they never had any ambition towards the "real professional market that's dominated by Canon & Nikon. But you can't blame them for that, it would be very difficult market to break into as the "new kid on the block" and to be blunt, while the lenses were optically excellent, they were short in the overall range and perhaps not quite fast enough in focusing.

We Pro-sumers were the target with an affordable full frame offering, which in all reality was a remarkable offering considering the price and specs of the competition. It seems however it was not widely accepted.

I was reading elsewhere a comment someone made about sales figures for SLR cameras, I don't know how accurate the info is but the comment was made that in the top 20 DSLR cameras sold the Canon 5DII just made it in at 1.7%. That to me is an eye opener and to be quite honest, when I think about it when I see people walking around with cameras, the majority are compacts, any DSLR's would be lower end consumer models. It's very rare I'd see a body/lens combination that could be considered pro spec and usually when I do see them they are in the hands of Professional Photographers.

Anyway, for me it's all academic, I've a lovely Sony / Zeiss system that will do me for years to come. Assuming of course it proves reliable and parts are available in the future.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I wasn't aware there was a Zeiss for Sony 70-200?

Just for correct understanding - the Zeiss zooms I had were the 16-35 and the 24-70, both bulky and not easily to handle for me.

The 70-200 of course is the Sony / Minolta one. This BTW is one of the best lenses for the system, although NOT Zeiss!

jonoslack

Jono, I agree, it would look like they never had any ambition towards the "real professional market that's dominated by Canon & Nikon. But you can't blame them for that, it would be very difficult market to break into as the "new kid on the block" and to be blunt, while the lenses were optically excellent, they were short in the overall range and perhaps not quite fast enough in focusing.

We Pro-sumers were the target with an affordable full frame offering, which in all reality was a remarkable offering considering the price and specs of the competition. It seems however it was not widely accepted.

I was reading elsewhere a comment someone made about sales figures for SLR cameras, I don't know how accurate the info is but the comment was made that in the top 20 DSLR cameras sold the Canon 5DII just made it in at 1.7%. That to me is an eye opener and to be quite honest, when I think about it when I see people walking around with cameras, the majority are compacts, any DSLR's would be lower end consumer models. It's very rare I'd see a body/lens combination that could be considered pro spec and usually when I do see them they are in the hands of Professional Photographers.

Anyway, for me it's all academic, I've a lovely Sony / Zeiss system that will do me for years to come. Assuming of course it proves reliable and parts are available in the future.
Hi Eoin - I hope you're well.
I can remember while the forums all sang the 'everything will go full frame' mantra I was disagreeing, but I'd rather come to accept that it would. Seems much more likely that it won't!

This morning my A900 was sitting on the kitchen table (with 24-105) next to Si's Nikon D50 (with 24-120), the size difference wasn't that great. I need a D3x or a 1Ds like a hole in the head, but I really do like having 24mp in a small package with fine lenses.

The A900 and the Olympus E1 are the only cameras I've ever had where I've been consistently happy with the colour out of the camera (and if can't be fixed with a small WB tweak I never can get it right later). (Nikon was horrid, the Leica and the more recent Olys are fine (just not quite as joyful))

I quite agree the Zeiss lenses don't focus so quick, but then I understand the focusing, and I'm not that quick either! I love them.

So, like you, I have a lovely Sony / Zeiss system, I might pick up a 16-35 if they go down in price, and I'll certainly grab another A900 body when their price drops). For an SLR system for my landscape / wedding requirements it rocks, and it won't stop rocking just because the true minority demand for a FF SLR is recognised.

I still get tempted by the little Pentax K7 though :eek:

dhsimmonds

Hello Eoin

I do agree with you and whilst I love using my A900 with Zeiss, Sony, Minolta and even a Tamron lens (which is excellent BTW), I would get nervous if it was confirmed that Sony would be pulling the plug on it's prosumer DSLR's.

The best thing I ever did was to sell my complete Leica R system when I was lucky enough to get very advanced warning from a reliable source that Leica were about to pull the plug on the R range. Other DMR users who held on are now left without a source of replacement batteries, chargers or spares and prices of R bodies and lenses are now a fraction of their former values.

If it is true that there will be no more full frame Sony sensors, it also means that what we have now in available lenses will be it, as obviously there will be no more development in full frame/film lenses without new cameras for them. The system would in effect be dead and I would want out. My lust for a NEX5 has suddenly evaporated!

However I do have a contact in the Sony camera world and I will try to get this confirmed one way or the other before I jump.

jonoslack

However I do have a contact in the Sony camera world and I will try to get this confirmed one way or the other before I jump.
Hi there Dave. I see what you mean, but it isn't quite the same as the DMR - the lenses will still work, the camera will still work, you'll still be ale to get batteries. The investment isn't as high either.

My feeling though, is if I were to jump . . . where would I jump to? I really don't want to go to those behemoth Canon or Nikon bodies (or their lenses or files either). Doesn't seem to leave anywhere to go right now!

edwardkaraa

Hi Dave,

I'm in a complete agreement with you.

I was looking forward to the 24/2 but with the current news, and they do seem very likely to me, I have completely changed my mind.

In the past weeks, I was very lucky to have sold the 16-35 and 24-70 for a good price, before the rumours broke out.

I have also purchased the ZS 35/2 and 50/1.4, which can practically be adapted to almost anything. The surprise was that the ZS lenses are so much more Zeiss-like than my ZA lenses, no matter how good they are. Clarity and 3D are very pronounced with the ZS while the same cannot be said about the ZA. Colors are more pleasing as well, probably because they are warmer. For the above reasons, I have opted to get the ZS 25/2.8 over the ZA 24/2 and have just ordered it yesterday.

Another advantage is that the lenses will work on both Canon and Nikon, so that in the future, my options would be all open to adopt any system that I find attractive.

I'm still keeping my ZA 85 and 135 though. They shouldn't be difficult to sell if the FF system goes bust, and who knows, it may be possible to convert them to Canon EF in the future, similarly to what Conurus is doing with the Contax N.

This said, and even the rumors are true, we still have 3 additional years to enjoy our A900s and whatever is coming next, since it seems the A900 replacement is coming soon according to several sources.

Hello Eoin

I do agree with you and whilst I love using my A900 with Zeiss, Sony, Minolta and even a Tamron lens (which is excellent BTW), I would get nervous if it was confirmed that Sony would be pulling the plug on it's prosumer DSLR's.

The best thing I ever did was to sell my complete Leica R system when I was lucky enough to get very advanced warning from a reliable source that Leica were about to pull the plug on the R range. Other DMR users who held on are now left without a source of replacement batteries, chargers or spares and prices of R bodies and lenses are now a fraction of their former values.

If it is true that there will be no more full frame Sony sensors, it also means that what we have now in available lenses will be it, as obviously there will be no more development in full frame/film lenses without new cameras for them. The system would in effect be dead and I would want out. My lust for a NEX5 has suddenly evaporated!

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
I think I have a qualified guess about what the most frequent question will be at the Photokina Sony booth this year ... :lecture:

What I mean is that Sony had better confirm or deny this "discontinued format" rumor before Photokina.

Personally I have a hard time believing it is true, until it may be publicly announced or firmly commented by Sony.

jonoslack

Personally I have a hard time believing it is true, until it may be publicly announced or firmly commented by Sony.
with the new lenses coming, and apparently a new FF camera as well, I find it a little tough to believe as well.

It is not quite unheard of for Thom to be wrong !

Terry

I'm not getting uptight about the whole situation. My primary use for the camera is low ISO landscape which I'm very pleased with. 24mp is plenty for me. Don't need or want video. Real live view would be useful. I now have NEX for a backup digital back (and the A mount lenses are just fine with it on a tripod. It will do my high ISO social stuff quite well.

All that being said I was skeptical about Sony to begin with. Over the years I haven't buil up a great trust factor with them.

jonoslack

I'm not getting uptight about the whole situation. My primary use for the camera is low ISO landscape which I'm very pleased with. 24mp is plenty for me. Don't need or want video. Real live view would be useful. I now have NEX for a backup digital back (and the A mount lenses are just fine with it on a tripod. It will do my high ISO social stuff quite well.

All that being said I was skeptical about Sony to begin with. Over the years I haven't buil up a great trust factor with them.
You and me both - in both situations really. But the truth is that there isn't any very obvious alternative anyway.

dhsimmonds

Well I'm still digging around for info on this rumour and nothing from sound Sony sources as yet. What I have found though is that the rumours appear to have all started from a Nikon source!

Anyway I have enough to do for the moment converting everything digitally photographic from my PC over to a nice new shiny iMac! PS CS5 is the next to be moved, (re-activated) I have already downloaded C1 v 5 Pro even though I also have Aperture 3 loaded. I will compare both on the same A900 images.

jonoslack

Well I'm still digging around for info on this rumour and nothing from sound Sony sources as yet. What I have found though is that the rumours appear to have all started from a Nikon source!

Anyway I have enough to do for the moment converting everything digitally photographic from my PC over to a nice new shiny iMac! PS CS5 is the next to be moved, (re-activated) I have already downloaded C1 v 5 Pro even though I also have Aperture 3 loaded. I will compare both on the same A900 images.
Hi Dave
We wait with baited breath!

Good luck with the changeover . . . . and give Aperture a good chance, if you're used to C1 it'll take a while. I've recently stopped using C1 altogether for the M9, and I only rarely use PS (lens correction and stitching)

I certainly hope he is wrong, but one of the reasons that I dipped my toe in the Sony pool instead of diving in is that I'm not convinced of their commitment to high end DLSRs. Further, with rumors like this floating around I'm actually much less likely to buy new lenses.

edwardkaraa

Well, it could turn out to be a hoax after all, but still, the reason it caused such a stir is that somehow there is doubt in all of us Sony FF users since day one that this experience will be short lived. There were and still are many signs but we did not want to see them...

douglasf13

Not me. I've been shooting Sony DSLRs since the autumn of 2006, and I've seen about a million false predictions for the Sony line in that time. While I do think Thom is on the more respectable side of things, and maybe it's possible that Sony will cease production on fullframe sensors, I highly doubt that Sony will cease making fullframe cameras and lenses. Heck, maybe they'll source the fullframe sensors to someone else? The particularly difficult thing about this rumor is that it may not be played out for years. Who knows?

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
do something

I think it's too early to panic, nothing at all has been confirmed.
At this stage it's still just a silly rumor, though a rather nasty one.
Personally I think it's a hoax (but of course I may have to eat my words again later on).

So now it's time for Sony to exercise some quick damage control and strong leadership, i.e. confirming their ambitious commitment to longer term FF development, e.g. by releasing their lens roadmap.

By doing so existing Sony shooters could calm down, and a lot of other enthusiasts would dare make the jump now instead of keep waiting for years for the full range of lenses, high end ZA optics, fast primes, long lenses, wides, makros, tilt/shift and what not.
Enthusiasts are actually very patient people provided they know there's something worth waiting for.

For many years Pentax has been clever enough to publish their updated lens roadmap. Sony could do the same.
(Oh, and Nikon as well for that matter :sleep006:).

One thing is for sure, if Sony doesn't kill this rumor quickly and effectively, the rumor itself can hurt their business seriously just by causing doubt and fear.