The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Steve Huff's Review is Up on NEX 3 & 5

tom in mpls

Not a lot of complaints from him. Steve's major negatives:

The 2 Sony lenses leave a bit to be desired.

Battery life sucks.

The menus!

I'd have to agree with those points. How I would love to have a couple fast E-mount Leica or Zeiss AF lenses for it.

Last edited:

monza

Menus: "I learned where everything was in the first day or two." This is about what it takes for pretty much any camera (with a certain few exceptions) in my experience.

Distortion: easy PS fix on those photos that need it. Would have been nice to have built-in correction like Panasonic...but that actually was a Con to some a few months ago. ;)

Kit lenses are fine for kit lenses. Glad he mentioned the price point...

Battery: 300 shots/charge is no biggie for me, I tend to shoot selectively anyway, like I'm using film. Most everyone carries a spare batt anyway. Shooting panoramas will result in more actuations and battery drain of course.

tom in mpls

I do like this camera. The large sensor with mini-body is great. My problem with this camera, as with most every other camera, is "How ya gonna keep 'em down on the farm after they've seen Paree'?" Since I went with the M9, I want Leica glass. With autofocus!

barjohn

Monza, its funny you should mention it (shooting like film). I was saying the same thing to my wife the other day that I find it hard to break the old habit from film days of not just shooting up a storm. I see folks that go out and shoot over a thousand shots in a day and I wonder how they did it. I can be out the whole day and shoot maybe 300 shots. I told my wife I still act like I only have 36 shots on the roll or maybe 40 if i carefully load the film and push it for the last psossible shot. Old habits die hard. I can see where turning on the 7 shot burst might be beneficial and just toss the bad shots. I just haven't gotten there yet.

douglasf13

I've become so tired of sifting through so many shots that I've brought my shot number down a lot, and I think my photography is better for it. If it's just walk-around shooting, 25-50 shots a day is plenty for me. So, I guess I could get a week out of the NEX battery. :LOL:

jonoslack

I've become so tired of sifting through so many shots that I've brought my shot number down a lot, and I think my photography is better for it. If it's just walk-around shooting, 25-50 shots a day is plenty for me. So, I guess I could get a week out of the NEX battery. :LOL:
Hi Douglas
I quite agree . . . and out of those 50% will be deleted in the first pass, and another 50% when I review the month,

One day I'll go through my back catologue with the same brutality.

Terry

Funny, now that I've been doing my picture a day project I shoot much more often (everyday) but fewer frames each outing.

barjohn

Steve did a comparison number 3 of the X1, NEX and EP at ISO 200 and 3200. Here are side by side comparisons.

In this one I adjusted saturation to more closely match colors. increased on NEX and decreased on EP

This one is without any adjustment.

From the center with slight sharpening added to NEX.

No sharpening or other adjustments.

In case you can't guess which is which, the order is X1, NEX and EP

One thing that struck me was that Steve was using the kit zoom and it didn't fare as badly against the X1 prime or the EP prime as I thought it would.

Terry

John,
I know Steve is getting credit for those photos in this thread but would you please send him a note or PM to see if they allowed by copyright to be posted here. I don't want to delete if Steve is OK with it.

stevem8

Hey Guys! Glad you enjoyed the review. No problem on putting these up here, they show things a bit more clearly anyway :) Thanks!

Steve