The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Best "non-Nex" Lenses

C

Coms37

I spent a large part of this morning reading up about third party lenses one would be able to use on a Nex.

I've read about so many different lenses that for a non-techie like myself it becomes quite confusing.

I have a simple question, what is the best performing "normal-focal length" lens/prime one can use on a Nex; good sharpness, center and edge/corners, nice color rendition, minimal discrepancies such fall-off, vignetting etc.

Is this easy to answer?

douglasf13

I've basically been scouring forums for a month in search of this answer. So far, we know that the Contax G 35 does ok in the corners, and the CV 35 2.5 does poorly. I haven't seen details corner crops at infinity from any others.

Amin

I've been looking too, and bokeh is another priority for me, and edge/corner performance less so. I saw some nice samples on a forum from the new 35mm Lux asph, but spending $5K on a lens isn't an option for me.

Terry

I've been looking too, and bokeh is another priority for me, and edge/corner performance less so. I saw some nice samples on a forum from the new 35mm Lux asph, but spending $5K on a lens isn't an option for me.
Yesterday at the farmers market I specifically was trying to torture the bokeh on the Contax G 35 with complicated backgrounds .....
View attachment 33665 View attachment 33663 View attachment 33662 View attachment 33667
View attachment 33666 View attachment 33664

C

Coms37

I even wondered if it was worth getting any kind of adapter.... most lens reviews on the Nex aren'r to spectacular. And as for a 5K 35 Asph. Lux.... I agree a tad more expensive than anticipated.

I believe that all this fuss about trying different lenses through different adapters is more a "hobbyism" rather than actually achieving better results. I fully undertsand why folk would want to do that, I'm not one that is keen on these technicalities though. I like the form factore of the Nex, I like the zoom lens, although it's not even close to sliced bread, allas.

I like the X1 IQ... expensive, rather sluggish but great imagery, now this should have interchangeable lenses, "get the M9" you would say, I tried the M9 but wasn't really "it" for me. I will however get by with the Nex/zoom but am afraid that I will always crave for a better OOC IQ since PP'ing with whatever medium I find very tedious....

Me.... the difficult kind, I know :)

Amin

Thanks, Terry! Now if you would please close (or better yet delete) this thread before the whole world sees it and make it impossible for me to find a used Contax G 35 for a reasonable price :D:D:D.

Terry

Thanks, Terry! Now if you would please close (or better yet delete) this thread before the whole world sees it and make it impossible for me to find a used Contax G 35 for a reasonable price :D:D:D.
Somehow I was expecting that reaction from someone. :eek::p

I need to give credit to Monza for having me try this one....I hadn't paid full attention to the long Contax on m4/3 thread.

douglasf13

I believe that all this fuss about trying different lenses through different adapters is more a "hobbyism" rather than actually achieving better results. I fully undertsand why folk would want to do that, I'm not one that is keen on these technicalities though. I like the form factore of the Nex, I like the zoom lens, although it's not even close to sliced bread, allas.
Not for me. If Sony would offer a fast, standard prime, I wouldn't be nearly as worried about adapting rangefinder glass. Fast primes are the goal for me, on NEX or any other camera, and the current NEX offerings are only an average wide prime and a simple kit zoom. If/when Sony offers an excellent standard prime, I'll be all over it, but, until then, it's all alternative lenses for me.

Terry

Not for me. If Sony would offer a fast, standard prime, I wouldn't be nearly as worried about adapting rangefinder glass. Fast primes are the goal for me, on NEX or any other camera, and the current NEX offerings are only an average wide prime and a simple kit zoom. If/when Sony offers an excellent standard prime, I'll be all over it, but, until then, it's all alternative lenses for me.
Well your first opportunity to see how they do is on the new 35mm DT lens that was just announced.

douglasf13

Unfortunately, I'm not really interested in adapting an Alpha prime for my daily standard prime, because the size of the Alpha lenses, plus the extra length from the adapter makes this a no-go for me. Granted, I'll probably adapt and use the 50mm, since it's a tele on NEX, and I don't mind the size for my occasional tele use. Your Contax 35 is still the lens for me, although they're becoming tough to find. I'm kicking myself, because I had a feeling it was the way to go a few months ago, and I should've planned ahead!

monza

Nice examples from the 35/2 Planar, Terry. :)

It seems there are always compromises...RF lenses as a rule are small, with a shorter flange distance, so physically a nice match for the NEX. On the other hand, RF lenses generally don't focus close (with the Contax G focusing closer than Leica M counterparts) and because of their design, wides can have corner issues when used on digital sensors.

If one is willing to overlook size as a criteria, then that opens up many SLR lenses, which focus closer and don't have corner issues.

My wide choice for the NEX is a Nikkor 24/2.8, which has great bokeh (unusual for a wide, it's on Mike Johnston's bokeh list, scoring an 8), close range correction, and focuses to only 0.3m. The manual focus version is inexpensive. I used this lens quite a lot on my old Nikon D300, also an APS-C sensor camera, and was extremely happy with it. Adapted to the NEX, it will be a far smaller package than the Nikon was.

With regards to size of SLR lenses, here is a comparison of a Leica 50/2 Summicron-R and the Sony 18-55 kit lens. Add a Leica R adapter, and they are similar in size (of course the Leica lens is relatively heavy compared to the plastic internal construction of the kit lens.) Close focus under 0.5m.

Amin

Robert, well said re: SLR/RF lens advantages/disadvantages re: close focus, lens size, and corner performance with wides. I had the Ai-S 28/2.8 and found that the sharpness and bokeh (on a D700, FM-2N, and D5000) were very good. Many of the manual focus SLR lenses are quite small. The adapter can make them a bit unwieldy though.

I'm also looking at the ZM 35mm f/2 Biogon. Curious how that lens would compare to the Contax G 35/2 for use on an NEX body.

V

Vivek

I did not have any time to test anything. I am here in India with a bunch of Olympus pen F lenses.

As I expected, the pancake 38/2.8 is just a very sweet combo with the NEX.

The 40/1.4 is doing a splendid job as well.

[disclaimer: these may not be the "best" for the NEX but are much better than the NEX']

monza

A good point, Vivek. Best depends on who is making the judgment and what their needs are. Makes me ponder a bit about things like 'Best Actor' and 'Best Song'. :)

Amin, the 35/2 Biogon is a traditional RF-style wide, with an extended rear element. The 35/2 Planar Contax G is more like an SLR lens. I thought I saw some samples shots with the Biogon, will have to search. (Planar on the left.)

roweraay

Sorry, if it has already been mentioned, by does anyone know where a Contax G adapter for the NEX can be obtained ? I am interested in kicking up the performance a notch on my NEX5.

Sony (via the president of their Imaging and Sound division) has already stated that Carl Zeiss lenses for the NEX are in the pipeline but if/when those arrive, I can sell off the 35/2, if I want to go with the CZ/NEX lenses.

I already have the A-mount-to-NEX adapter but of course the extra inch added to the length of the A-mount lens, makes this a bit of a lopsided arrangement and hence want to go with a more compact option.....like say a reasonably priced Leica M or other RF options where the flange-back distance (and hence the adapter thickness) would be less obtrusive.

roweraay

Thanks for the image, Monza. Appreciate that.

While looking at the other options around, any thoughts on how the Contax G 28mm f/2.8 performs on the NEX. Or alternatively, how does the Voigtlander 35 f/1.4 Nokton (M-mount) perform ?