The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEX5 strap ideas?

fordfanjpn

I assume that with the strap lugs on the NEX5 mounted vertically instead of horizontally the camera will hang lens down. Since I like to shoot from the belly (I don't have a waist anymore), I'm trying to come up with another way to put a strap on the camera so I can hang it around my neck and have it hang with the lens facing out. Has anyone come up with a solution, or have any ideas for achieving this? Thanks.

Bill

barjohn

I think Sony recognized that the center of gravity would be out forward from the body with virtually every lens (Maybe even the 16mm), hence, no matter where you put the strap mount or how you oriented it the camera would hang lens down. I actually like it but would still have preferred the old CL approach of having both lugs on just the right side as then the CG with the lens would have allowed it to hang properly for portrait mode making one shoulder carry easy as well as mounting a hand strap if that was your preference.

Terry

I like the camera hanging down. Both front of lens and LCD seem more protected. I'm using a luigi strap called the essential strap (no hardware) that literally gets laced into place. I can post a shot of it tonight. Mine also has a shoulder pad (extra cost)

monza

I use a thin strap, actually more like a lanyard, threaded thru the lug on the shutter-button end of the camera. Works well as a wrist strap, weighs nothing and wraps into very little space.

barjohn

The problem I have with wrist straps that don't attach at two points is the camera spinning when hanging down. This bugs me. Anyone else?

fordfanjpn

Thanks for all the suggestions. I guess I'll go ahead and give it a try in the lens-down position. I like to have the camera hanging in front of me where I can shoot subtly from the waist for some surreptitious (sneaky?) street shooting. I'd like to be as inconspicuous as possible, so the less fiddling around with the camera I have to do to shoot, the better.

Bill