The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Shocking NEX kit zoom and it's dreadful bokeh

jonoslack

Very impressive, Jono :thumbup:

Quentin
Thanks Quentin - I hope you're all flourishing

. . . Daniel . . . .
Don't get me wrong - the lens has plenty of shortcomings (Slow - not great at infinity - distortion wide open - some CA). BUT unlike most cheap kit lenses it does have some redeeming features.

My slightly over the top response was mostly based on surprise that it is as good as it is.

........... The M9 is staying firmly where it is!

all the best

roweraay

Don't get me wrong - the lens has plenty of shortcomings (Slow - not great at infinity - distortion wide open - some CA). BUT unlike most cheap kit lenses it does have some redeeming features.
I think one of the biggest advantages of the lens comes when shooting 1080i video. When the 14MP output of the sensor gets crunched down into a 1920x1080 sized output, all of these shortcomings should just melt away. And when that output is derived from an APS-C sensor, low-light video in particular, would stand out.

jonoslack

I think one of the biggest advantages of the lens comes when shooting 1080i video. When the 14MP output of the sensor gets crunched down into a 1920x1080 sized output, all of these shortcomings should just melt away. And when that output is derived from an APS-C sensor, low-light video in particular, would stand out.
I guess you're right - I haven't tried it, but clearly I should.
Time please!

The "kit" lens was the biggest surprise for me when I tried it out at SonyStyle store. Love the feel. I liked what I saw in the out of focus areas in the test shots, especially close focus portraits. I went in thinking I would get the 16mm, and walked out with the Nex5 plus 18-55mm. No regrets so far.

ampguy

very nice Jono. I handled one of these the other day and noticed in the menus there is a "defocus" option, was that on in any of these pics?

I've used something similar in a Fuji F70 EXR called "pro focus mode" which works pretty well in some situations, allowing nice bokeh with the relatively small aperture, kind of depends on backlighting, and distance of subject from camera and background.