The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the NEX 16mm f/2.8

Amin

Does the NEX 16/2.8 deserve it's own thread? I tried it out for the first time this afternoon and found it to be a fun lens, so here goes.

All were uncropped, ~f/5-6, processed from RAW in Raw Developer.

Anyone else having fun with this lens?

s.agar

Thanks for the information. I had ordered my NEX-3 a few days ago, and was wondering if the "dpreview"'s comment was correct about overexposure.

Seyhun

sebboh

i've been spending most of my time fiddling with manual focus lenses so these are the only 2 16mm shots i've processed so far:

i'll have to shoot more with it to decide how i feel about it. it's good to have a 24mm equiv lens and it seems pretty good stopped down with a bit of distortion correction. haven't been too happy with it's wide open performance though.

Amin

Thanks for the information. I had ordered my NEX-3 a few days ago, and was wondering if the "dpreview"'s comment was correct about overexposure.

Seyhun
Seyhun, I didn't read the DPReview review. I've only had the NEX5 for a couple days, the files don't yet work in my RAW processor of choice (LR 3), and I'm not sure how optimized Raw Developer is for them. They did seem on the bright side when I opened them in Raw Developer, but all the highlight info was in the RAW files, almost no clipping, so based on my limited experience I'd say the camera (default metering settings) exposes to the right while preserving highlights, pretty much as I'd want it to do.

jonoslack

Hi Amin
I certainly think it deserves it's own thread.

I did post this one in the other thread as well, but I like it enough to push it around a bit!

I'm still getting to grips with the exposures. I've been shooting RAW and processing in Aperture (I still find it hard to believe that Apple was first!)

Amin

Very nice, Jono. I need to take a lesson from you and use the perspective distortion of this lens to give my wife longer legs instead of a wider head :D. I think she'd like the lens much better that way.

As for Aperture being first to support, that's just unnatural. I don't know what's taking the Lightroom folks so long. Maybe they're trying to get the built-in distortion correction perfected :confused:.

roweraay

I am waiting for DXO to release their lens specific modules for the NEX camera and lenses (I have both the 18-55 and the 16).

jonoslack

Very nice, Jono. I need to take a lesson from you and use the perspective distortion of this lens to give my wife longer legs instead of a wider head :D. I think she'd like the lens much better that way.

As for Aperture being first to support, that's just unnatural. I don't know what's taking the Lightroom folks so long. Maybe they're trying to get the built-in distortion correction perfected :confused:.
It has to be said Amin that Kay's legs don't need any help from the distortion of the lens! She is a horse trainer who helps my wife with the horses.

The number of times I've teetered on the brink of leaving Aperture because of their slowness of support - this makes me very happy :)

Amin

Seems strange to have an ultrawide with pincushion distortion. You can get a sense of the distortion from this one:

A couple more snaps from our walk, which give a sense of the edge/corner performance of this lens stopped down (not great, but not dreadful either). Click on any of these to see the full-res JPEG (processed in Raw Developer, grain added to the first one using Alien Skin Exposure).