The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A list of lenses that have been tested on the NEX--good and bad!

roweraay

...but now I'm thinking that I might be better off using a small, fast 28mm SLR lens on the NEX...
But be aware that an SLR lens adapter adds a whole inch+ to the combo, which means even a small SLR lens looks large on the NEX, when stuck ahead of this thick adapter. The RF adapters are obviously very slim and when coupled with small lenses, don't look too lop-sided when outfitted on the NEX.

On the other hand, since every dSLR lens ever made can work with products like the NEX, there are some very cheap f/1.2 lenses from the old Canon FD mount or Minolta MD mount etc that will work with the NEX, via adapters. And these will absolutely not have any of the issues that RF lenses have, like corner smearing etc.

Jim DE

aleksanderpolo, Yes I tried and use the Contax G 28mm F2.8 lens on the NEX 5. At infinity wide open it does show smearing which as the aperture gets smaller it disappears. At 5.6 it is almost gone. I have found that I can use the Aperture 3 brushes with sharpening at even F 2.8 and you really have to be really looking for smearing to even know its there with a full leafy tree on all corners.

I like the 42mm effective perspective it offers me so I am using it outside in the sun at 5.6 or more on the f stop with no noticeable issues detected by those who have view them in print at 8x10 or on a big screen desktop. I think sometime we are way more critical and demanding than those who view our work. Guess that is a good thing at times. I am using 28, 45, and 90mm Contax G lenses daily and enjoying the heck out of the experience. I have the 35mm f2 somewhere but haven't found it as of yet due to the fact I hated it compared to my other lenses on my Contax G2 so I didn't even carry it in the bag. Wish I could use my 21mm as IMO that is the best 21mm lens I have ever used or seen and buy far my preferred lens on my Contax G2. I just keep the 21mm on the G2 now with the finder on top as a second shoulder camera with Velvia loaded in it for those 21mm scenics we so often have around the ocean.

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
But be aware that an SLR lens adapter adds a whole inch+ to the combo, which means even a small SLR lens looks large on the NEX, when stuck ahead of this thick adapter. The RF adapters are obviously very slim and when coupled with small lenses, don't look too lop-sided when outfitted on the NEX.

On the other hand, since every dSLR lens ever made can work with products like the NEX, there are some very cheap f/1.2 lenses from the old Canon FD mount or Minolta MD mount etc that will work with the NEX, via adapters. And these will absolutely not have any of the issues that RF lenses have, like corner smearing etc.
You're absolutely correct. However, the thinner adapter isn't enough of a benefit (to me) to compensate for the minimum focusing distance of most M-mount lenses. I'd love to put a CV 28/1.9 on the NEX-5 but that 0.7 meter MFD drives me batty (and, in any case, the RF smearing problem seems to kick in at around 28mm).

If I want a small NEX-5/lens combo, I can use one of my Pen F lenses, since the Pen F adapter is about the same thickness as the M-mount adapter. Unfortunately there's no 28mm Pen F lens and 28mm on a 1.5x crop sensor yields my favorite (42mm EFoV) focal length (I see that Jim likes the 42mm perspective too).

So I'm thinking that a late MD Rokkor 28/2 (with the 49mm filter thread) might do the trick, since it's smaller and lighter than the earlier (55mm filter) MD Rokkor 28/2. I already have a Vivitar Close Focus 28/2 which is an excellent lens given its low price, but the Rokkor should be a bit better.

sebboh

So I'm thinking that a late MD Rokkor 28/2 (with the 49mm filter thread) might do the trick, since it's smaller and lighter than the earlier (55mm filter) MD Rokkor 28/2. I already have a Vivitar Close Focus 28/2 which is an excellent lens given its low price, but the Rokkor should be a bit better.
i also have the vivitar close focus 28/2 and just got the adapter for it yesterday. it looks pretty good even wide open (except for the loCA), but i have to admit i like the overall rendering of my rokkor lenses better. i had the same thought and was about to order the mint rokkor 28/2 on keh, but somebody beat me to it. :cry: it wasn't you was it?

anyway here is a shot with the vivitar on my NEX at f/2:

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
Sebboh, what a marvelous picture! Was the camera on a tripod?

Actually, it was me who ordered the Rokkor 28/2 from KEH :eek:. I'd already looked on eBay but there were only (55mm filter) MD I/II versions for sale (I already have one of these). So I was amazed that KEH had the 49mm MD III version at such a reasonable price. Even so, you can never be sure with KEH that the item you've ordered is actually still available. I won't feel as though the order has gone through until they tell me the lens has shipped.

If all the stars align and I finally get the NEX-5, the Rokkor 28/2, and the adapter, I'll post some results. But I think I'll be struggling to match the quality you're already achieving with the Vivitar CF 28/2.

i also have the vivitar close focus 28/2 and just got the adapter for it yesterday. it looks pretty good even wide open (except for the loCA), but i have to admit i like the overall rendering of my rokkor lenses better. i had the same thought and was about to order the mint rokkor 28/2 on keh, but somebody beat me to it. :cry: it wasn't you was it?

anyway here is a shot with the vivitar on my NEX at f/2:

sebboh

Sebboh, what a marvelous picture! Was the camera on a tripod?

Actually, it was me who ordered the Rokkor 28/2 from KEH :eek:. I'd already looked on eBay but there were only (55mm filter) MD I/II versions for sale (I already have one of these). So I was amazed that KEH had the 49mm MD III version at such a reasonable price. Even so, you can never be sure with KEH that the item you've ordered is actually still available. I won't feel as though the order has gone through until they tell me the lens has shipped.

If all the stars align and I finally get the NEX-5, the Rokkor 28/2, and the adapter, I'll post some results. But I think I'll be struggling to match the quality you're already achieving with the Vivitar CF 28/2.
thanks, no tripod - i had just got the MC/MD adapter and ran out on my lunch break to test it with the MD mount lenses i had with me. i just handheld the shots with the lens at mfd and fired a burst (whenever i do this it seems the first is always the keeper as my focus drifs through the burst). as it happens, when i switched lenses to my rokkor MD 24mm f/2.8 another bumble be landed on that exact same flower and i was able to get a very similar shot of with it for comparison:

focal length and max aperture issues aside the two lenses have rather different drawing styles (and i'm sure the MD 28/2 will be closer to the other rokkor than the vivitar). wide open my rokkor is sharper (but a stop slower) and has greater contrast. stopped down they are both extremely sharp. the vivitar has an extremely smooth bokeh that to my eye flattens the look of the images. this can be very nice for portraits and very busy backgrounds, but overall i like the slightly less smooth rokkor style bokeh that seems to keep some of the images depth intact. i'm always amazed how consistant all of my MD lenses have been in their drawing style (the MCs i've used seem a bit different).

anyway, enough of my rambling. good luck with the MD 28/2, i'm quite jealous. i was stalling trying to decide which lenses i could sell to buy it myself (getting the NEX and Cindy's 42mm has maxed out my camera spending for a bit). post some shots when you get it. and if for some reason you want to sell it or the MC version let me know.

douglasf13

...Did you get your Metabones adapter yet ? Mine is on the way but has not got to me yet. My new 35/2 will get to me next Tuesday.
I received my Metabones adapter today. The CV 35 1.4 snaps into it very snuggly, and I'd say I'm as happy as I could be with it...considering I don't have the actual camera yet. :) Nice build, looks great and fair price. I hope it nails infinity. Camera arrives Monday!

wayne_s

thanks, no tripod - i had just got the MC/MD adapter and ran out on my lunch break to test it with the MD mount lenses i had with me. i just handheld the shots with the lens at mfd and fired a burst (whenever i do this it seems the first is always the keeper as my focus drifs through the burst). as it happens, when i switched lenses to my rokkor MD 24mm f/2.8 another bumble be landed on that exact same flower and i was able to get a very similar shot of with it for comparison:

focal length and max aperture issues aside the two lenses have rather different drawing styles (and i'm sure the MD 28/2 will be closer to the other rokkor than the vivitar). wide open my rokkor is sharper (but a stop slower) and has greater contrast. stopped down they are both extremely sharp. the vivitar has an extremely smooth bokeh that to my eye flattens the look of the images. this can be very nice for portraits and very busy backgrounds, but overall i like the slightly less smooth rokkor style bokeh that seems to keep some of the images depth intact. i'm always amazed how consistant all of my MD lenses have been in their drawing style (the MCs i've used seem a bit different).

anyway, enough of my rambling. good luck with the MD 28/2, i'm quite jealous. i was stalling trying to decide which lenses i could sell to buy it myself (getting the NEX and Cindy's 42mm has maxed out my camera spending for a bit). post some shots when you get it. and if for some reason you want to sell it or the MC version let me know.
Good to see people trying the old Rokkor 28/2 on theNEX.
I have both 49mm and 55mm filter size versions and was planning on trying them out on a Nex when I buy one.I really like the lens on my 1ds3.
Sharp wide open and great value since I got each copy for $200.
58/1.2 and 28/2 are my favorite Rokkors.

sebboh

I have both 49mm and 55mm filter size versions and was planning on trying them out on a Nex when I buy one.I really like the lens on my 1ds3.
have you done any comparison between the two (55mm and 49mm filter thread) to see if there are any differences in performance?

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member

Interesting comparison between the two lenses and a most useful observation about the impact of the slightly edgier bokeh on the image depth. Were the two pictures shot at the same aperture?

So you bought Cindy's 42/1.2. I can remember, when I was just getting into Pen F lens for m4/3, I'd found a 42/1.2 for sale and sent Cindy a PM asking how she liked that lens. She told me that she liked it a lot and that was all the information my Department of Rationalization and Self-Justification needed in order to authorize the purchase.

If I do decide to sell one or other of my Rokkor 28/2 lenses, I'll send you a PM first.

Wayne, did you do the Canon conversion yourself, or did you send the lens(es) to Jim Buchanan?

have you done any comparison between the two (55mm and 49mm filter thread) to see if there are any differences in performance?
Red Bailey's Minolta Lens Chronology provides this information about the 28/2 Rokkors:
January, 1975
MC W.Rokkor-X 28/2 [10/9] (ø55mm) 0,3m f/16 65,5x61mm 340g
A brand-new lens as a fast 28mm. This fine optic also uses floating element correction.

October, 1977
MD W.Rokkor-X 28/2 [10/9] (ø55mm) 0,3m f/22 65,5x61mm 340g
MD up-date of the fast 28mm, closing to f/22.

October, 1981
MD 28/2 [9/9] (ø49mm) 0,3m f/22 64x50mm 265g
Up-dated fast 28mm, optically pretty much the same, but this has been compacted and now sports 49mm filter threads.
But according to the Minolta Manual Lens List, there were three MD variants:
MD I (1977)
MD II (1978) Plastic (not metal) aperture ring and changed front engraving
MD III (1981) Reduced weight, 49mm filter, aperture lock added, amber ft scale (from green), focal length marking next to red mounting bead
My current 28/2 is the MD II version. Not sure what Red Bailey means when he says the MD III version is "optically pretty much the same" so it'll be interesting to see if/how the changed optical formula (from 10/9 to 9/9) has altered the rendering. But perhaps Wayne can tell us about any differences he's noticed.

roweraay

I received my Metabones adapter today. The CV 35 1.4 snaps into it very snuggly, and I'd say I'm as happy as I could be with it...considering I don't have the actual camera yet. :) Nice build, looks great and fair price. I hope it nails infinity. Camera arrives Monday!
Great ! Can't wait to see samples, once you get the camera. I agree that the price is just great - both of the adapter and also of the lens (considering you are getting f/1.4 with it).

Somewhere downstream, I might add the 50mm f/1.1 Nokton, since I have always been fascinated with lenses that take it to such extremes.

roweraay

So I'm thinking that a late MD Rokkor 28/2 (with the 49mm filter thread) might do the trick, since it's smaller and lighter than the earlier (55mm filter) MD Rokkor 28/2..
Agreed. And considering the prices at which the MD/Canon-FD lenses have been selling, you will get absolutely top-notch glass for a relative pittance. But seems like people are getting wiser about how these newer digital cameras like the NEX etc are able to use the older lenses, and the prices have started edging upward.

sebboh

Interesting comparison between the two lenses and a most useful observation about the impact of the slightly edgier bokeh on the image depth. Were the two pictures shot at the same aperture?

So you bought Cindy's 42/1.2. I can remember, when I was just getting into Pen F lens for m4/3, I'd found a 42/1.2 for sale and sent Cindy a PM asking how she liked that lens. She told me that she liked it a lot and that was all the information my Department of Rationalization and Self-Justification needed in order to authorize the purchase.

If I do decide to sell one or other of my Rokkor 28/2 lenses, I'll send you a PM first.
thanks, i'm quite liking the pen f 42mm, especially for social shooting and portraits. the two shots were both wide open so the rokkor was at f/2.8 and the vivitar was at f/2 giving it an obvious advantage in the blurring department. i see the same characteristics in shots from my rokkor 45 f/2 and 50mm f/1.2 that i see in the 24mm f/2.8 though, so i know it's not just a matter of dof.

douglasf13

Great ! Can't wait to see samples, once you get the camera. I agree that the price is just great - both of the adapter and also of the lens (considering you are getting f/1.4 with it).

Somewhere downstream, I might add the 50mm f/1.1 Nokton, since I have always been fascinated with lenses that take it to such extremes.
Yeah, both the 50 1.1 and 35 1.2 look like fun lenses, despite the size. I'm really tempted by the small ZM 50 1.5 as well, since all of my 50mm lenses are SLR sized. The Sony 16mm, CV 35/2 and ZM 50/1.5 is a pretty sweet 3 lens kit that would handle everything I'd need, and it would be a tiny overall setup. I'm going to play around with my SLR 50mm lenses first, though. My wife and I are new business owners, and I promised that I would only fund NEX purchases via ebay sales for the near future. I need to raid the photography/guitar closet and find some more unused stuff (i already sold the 24-70.) :D

wayne_s

Jonathon and Sebboh,

I sent my two 28/2 Rokkors to Jim Buchanan to convert as they were a lot more complex to convert than the two 58/1.2 Rokkors which I converted myself.
He did an excellent job converting them to Canon mount with proper infinity focusing and with pretty fast turnaround time.
I always just thought that the 55mm filter size version with the extra element is slightly sharper wide open but I haven't done too many comparison shots. I know for sure the 49mm version vignettes noticeably more than the 55mm version so I just use the 55mm one now. But vignetting should be a lot less on a crop sensor so I don't think it is a concern.
This is a link to a web page with info on all Rokkors. Look at the performance comments for the 28/2:

http://digitalrokkor.altervista.org/minoltalens.html
The FLE really helps this lens be sharp at close distances as well as far.

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
Jonathon and Sebboh,

I sent my two 28/2 Rokkors to Jim Buchanan to convert as they were a lot more complex to convert than the two 58/1.2 Rokkors which I converted myself.
He did an excellent job converting them to Canon mount with proper infinity focusing and with pretty fast turnaround time.
I always just thought that the 55mm filter size version with the extra element is slightly sharper wide open but I haven't done too many comparison shots. I know for sure the 49mm version vignettes noticeably more than the 55mm version so I just use the 55mm one now. But vignetting should be a lot less on a crop sensor so I don't think it is a concern.
This is a link to a web page with info on all Rokkors. Look at the performance comments for the 28/2:

http://digitalrokkor.altervista.org/minoltalens.html
The FLE really helps this lens be sharp at close distances as well as far.
Wayne, thanks for the link! I recall looking at this site when I first began to acquire Rokkor lenses and was wondering how to use them on digital bodies. But I didn't discover the page you linked to -- his evaluations of the different focal lengths certainly match yours and my own experience with the 28/2 and the 58/1.2. Interestingly, he doesn't mention the 20/2.8, also a floating element design, which is another gem.

So far I've used my Rokkors mainly on the Panasonic G1, plus with a few rolls of film on a Minolta XD7 body. But your post has prompted me to think seriously about asking Jim Buchanan to convert them to Canon EF mount. This would seem to offer the best of both worlds: I'd still be able to use them on m4/3 and NEX cameras (with a Canon EOS adapter) but I could also mount them on a Canon body. The upcoming Canon 60D is rumored to have an articulating LCD screen, which I find indispensable on the Panasonic G1. Along with the APS-C sensor and the high ISO performance, the articulating screen is why I'm thinking about picking up an NEX-5.

roweraay

My wife and I are new business owners, and I promised that I would only fund NEX purchases via ebay sales for the near future. I need to raid the photography/guitar closet and find some more unused stuff (i already sold the 24-70.) :D
Yeah, as long as you stay away from bidding wars on eBay, it should be a good venue to pick up some really good stuff cost effectively. But some folks get caught up in bidding wars on eBay, and I see them seriously overpaying.

Glad you were able to sell your 24-70, even though I personally find my 24-70 to be an invaluable lens (bolstered by the CZ85 and 135), for the type of shooting I do. During some events etc., it does a lot of heavy lifting on its own, on the A900.

Martin S

Anyone have any experience using a NEX5 and Minolta 24-105 mm??

Also, anyone using the 35 mm macro lens on the NEX5??

I was hoping to use these lenses since there will be metering, and aperture control with the Sony lens adapter.

Martin

Last edited:

roweraay

Anyone have any experience using a NEX5 and Minolta 24-105 mm??

Also, anyone using the 35 mm macro lens on the NEX5??

I was hoping to use these lenses since there will be metering, and aperture control with the Sony lens adapter.

Martin
Based on my usage of other Minolta/Sony A-mount lenses till date, I think both the 24-105 and the 30 Macro should perform just fine on the NEX. That is, if you are okay with the additional 1 inch thickness added by the adapter.