The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A list of lenses that have been tested on the NEX--good and bad!

Martin S

Any problems with edge smearing???? Not an RF lens, so I wouldn't expect it. Any specific problems with either of these lenses???

Martin

douglasf13

Any Sony or Minolta SLR lens will perform on NEX just like it does on Alpha bodies, so if you find results with the A550, it should be more or less the same.

roweraay

Any problems with edge smearing????
None, whatsoever.

Any specific problems with either of these lenses???

Martin
I used to have the Sony 24-105 f/3.5-4.5 in the past and even on the A900, it performed reasonably well, when stopped down at or beyond f/5.6 (not a good performer wide-open, however). So on the NEX, I would not expect any problems at all.

roweraay

Any Sony or Minolta SLR lens will perform on NEX just like it does on Alpha bodies, so if you find results with the A550, it should be more or less the same.
Do you know how long it took for your metabones adapter to get here ? In the USPS tracking system, it has been stating "Origin post is preparing shipment" for the past one week.

Beneath that it states "Foreign International despatch August 13th" and beneath that it states "Foreign Acceptance August 10th".

Just want to have a ballpark idea on when it would get here....purchased Aug.9th and shipped out on Aug.10th.:(

My lens will get in tomorrow via UPS but without the adapter, I of course would not be able to use it.

Martin S

I already own the 24-105 mm, and I have seen mixed reports on the 30 mm macro, Any recommendations on its purchase???

Thanks again.

Martin

douglasf13

Do you know how long it took for your metabones adapter to get here ? In the USPS tracking system, it has been stating "Origin post is preparing shipment" for the past one week.

Beneath that it states "Foreign International despatch August 13th" and beneath that it states "Foreign Acceptance August 10th".

Just want to have a ballpark idea on when it would get here....purchased Aug.9th and shipped out on Aug.10th.:(

My lens will get in tomorrow via UPS but without the adapter, I of course would not be able to use it.
Mine took around 8 days to arrive, I believe.

As far as the adapter goes, I've got a little bad news about it. The button that they use as a lens release crowded the area between the lens and the grip way too much, so I took the darn thing apart and removed it, because it pinched my fingers. In order to remove the lens from the adapter, I have to use a little screw driver, which is no big deal right now, since I only have one M lens and plan on keeping it on the adapter anyway. I wish that I could have foreseen just how small that area for my fingers was going to be, but I would imagine that all of the M adapters encroach in this area one way or another. Getting the adapter back together was a pit of a pain, because there are little pressure clips that fall out easily. Drove me a little bonkers.

Actually, upon review, I see that the Voigtlander adapter has a much more low profile lens release button. I'm not sure if that is worth the extra money or not, but I'm sorry I mentioned this Metabones adapter to you, roweraay. I'd heard nothing but good things about their adapters, and no one mentioned this issue. :wtf:

tom in mpls

The Kipon adapter works without this problem. Plenty of room to get in to release either the lens adapter from the camera, or the lens from the adapter.

douglasf13

I wasn't having issues with to release, but, rather, I was having problems with my fingers rubbing the release lever when holding the camera. The Kipon does look to have a smaller release, but I'll probably just go Voigtlander next time, since it is even more sleek.

roweraay

... but I'm sorry I mentioned this Metabones adapter to you, roweraay. I'd heard nothing but good things about their adapters, and no one mentioned this issue. :wtf:
That is not a problem at all, since when you mentioned the adapter, you yourself did not have it in hand and thus did it in good faith. As long as I am aware that there is this slight issue, I will simply work around it.

Actually, based on feedback around the internet, metabones seems to have a good reputation among adapters and I doubt I will be disappointed with mine.:cool:

T

tigertimb

Thankyou to everyone for all the information in this thread - between you, you are solely responsible for me buying a NEX-5. When it was first released I was interested from the POV of the technology and the strides it showed Sony having made with the sensor.

But the thought of all the little Contax G Zeiss primes, kind of changed the equation for me and made me think of the camera as an entirely different beast. I'll be shooting a friend's wedding in a few weeks and the NEX is looking to be the companion in my pocket so that I can respond quickly to opportunities and leave the longer lenses on my A900.

One question if I may; has anyone yet tried out a macro lens with the NEX?

I'm getting good results with the Minolta AF 50mm f3.5 and the 1:2 ratio is plenty, but I'm hoping for something a lot smaller that doesn't need the 1" adaptor and is more in fitting with the 'kit'?

Tim

jonoslack

Hi Tim
Yes . . . . I've used the minolta 100mm f2.8 - works well in manual focus and produces fine results . . . pity about the missing IS, but otherwise good.

all the best

BackToSlr

I'm getting good results with the Minolta AF 50mm f3.5 and the 1:2 ratio is plenty, but I'm hoping for something a lot smaller that doesn't need the 1" adaptor and is more in fitting with the 'kit'?

Tim
Tim,

I have tried both 50 and 100 macro. It is a cool setup because you could get really nasty angles well, but i really missed the wireless flash.

Here are a couple of samples with 100 macro

ISO 1600, 100 macro, f9

ISO 1600, 100 macro, f9, with direct flash on subject

Higher ISO being cleaner helps with DOF, but lack of light control and stabilization makes it more arduous to use. Flip LCD is a joy to use.

Hope this helps,

N

T

tigertimb

Thankyou both; the 100mm is looking good and giving some excellent results. And I was certainly thinking that the flip screen and 1:1 focussing was possible going to make the NEX a better choice choice for macro than the A900 in a lot of places. Certainly, a lot of the effort is always in getting the angle on the subject that I want, and then still being able to get down to view through the viewfinder and focus manually.

I was hoping that there might be a macro lens of a similar size to the Contax G lenses, using a similarly thin adaptor - even the 50mm Minolta ends up feeling huge by comparison. (but being light it does balance well on the tripod foot for table based shots).

If nothing else, I have something workable, and I'll just have to hope that the rumour of Sony producing a dedicated 70mm macro for the NEX is true.

roweraay

...even the 50mm Minolta ends up feeling huge by comparison. (but being light it does balance well on the tripod foot for table based shots)..
Yes, I agree. The first A-mount lens I tried on the NEX was the Sony 50mm f/2.8 Macro. Due to the 1" thickness of the adapter, even the 50 Macro looks large.

I am awaiting the receipt of the Leica M adapter, to try out my 35/2 Summicron. Of course being an RF lens, the adapter is thin and the lens is super-tiny too.

I also ordered for the 21mm f/2.8 Biogon, a lens from the Contax G series and expecting to get the lens and the adapter over the next one week or so. The 21mm gets close to the 35mm FOV that I prefer and thus I might sell off the 35/2 once it gets here.

Martin S

Anyone try a Zeiss 25mm ZM on the NEX 5???

That combo would give almost the 35mm effective FOV that I would like.

Also, any ideas about edge smearing with this lens???

Thanks.

Martin

roweraay

Anyone try a Zeiss 25mm ZM on the NEX 5???

That combo would give almost the 35mm effective FOV that I would like.

Also, any ideas about edge smearing with this lens???

Thanks.

Martin
Yes, I too wanted a 35mm equivalent FOV. Some of the lenses I considered were the 25mm ZM (approx 37.5mm FOV) and even the Contax G 21mm f/2.8 (32mm FOV). Both of these have no edge smearing issues, which is a good thing.

Unfortunately, both of these lenses (25ZM and 21CG) seem to have a color shift issue at both the right and left edges, which is really due to problems with wide-angle RF lenses, where, due to the extreme angles at which light hits the edges of the sensor, there are issues with color translation/interpretation by the bayer algorithms and hence lead to shift in colors at these specific edges. The top and bottom of the 3:2 sensor (in landscape mode) is just fine, since it just misses those extreme angles that are problematic.

The Contax 21mm is supposed to be SHARP right from wide-open but seems to have some fitment issues with the Contax G adapter (it "fits" but seems to be a bit tight)....in addition to the color shift issue.

Bottomline, I think 35mm is probably "safe" and you can push it down to about 28mm but anything wider is going to have these issues. Now, if there is a cornerfix profile developed for this, then you should be good to go, since the critical edge smearing is not present.

Martin S

Thanks for the info.

Bottom line - no 35 mm FOV that works w/NEX 5.

28mm lens gives about 42mm FOV. A little high.

Any idea if the Voigtlander 25mm has the same problem???

Thanks

Martin

sebboh

Thanks for the info.

Bottom line - no 35 mm FOV that works w/NEX 5.

28mm lens gives about 42mm FOV. A little high.

Any idea if the Voigtlander 25mm has the same problem???

Thanks

Martin
it won't give you the small size of a rangefinder lens but any slr 24mm will work with no optical issues on NEX. most of them end up being the same size as the kit zoom even with the adapter - nowhere near pocketable but functionally not much larger than any of the of the 24-25mm rangefinder lenses and they can focus much closer. there are 24mm f/2 lenses in nikon F, canon FD, and olympus OM mounts all of which are well respected lenses and most (not the olympus) can be found at quite reasonable prices. if you don't need the speed there are a ton of f/2.8 or slower 24mm slr lenses. the best fit of these is probably the olympus OM 24mm f/2.8 - it is reputed to be an extremely good performing lens and is quite small. right now i am using a rokkor MD 24mm f/2.8 that i am quite happy with (except for the speed) while i wait for sony to release a lens roadmap. i'm hoping for a zeiss 24mm f/2 - but i doubt i'll see one anytime soon.

monza

I like the 24/2.8 AIS Nikkor. Very nice bokeh (as listed on Mike Johnston's bokeh ratings; unusual for a wide angle.) Reasonably priced. CRC close range correction.