The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A list of lenses that have been tested on the NEX--good and bad!

T

tigertimb

Only had the single lens with me today, but thought a couple of shots testing out the bokeh of the Contax G 35mm @ f2 might be interesting; both set to minimum focus distance.

With the lower contrast the first isn't a complete distaster, but the 2nd is way too busy in my opinion and lacking in the smooth transitions that I'd hope for; which in turn spoils the isolation from the background.

Tim

Jim DE

Martin my guess is with the Leica 28mm some corner smearing with focus at infinity and aperture wide open would be most likely a given. I have not seen one 28mm RF lens that did not have some degree of corner smearing with the above exposure parameters.

35mm seems to be where it starts to disappear with using RF lenses. Honestly, I am seeing some very faint smearing with them as well but, you really have to be looking very hard for it.

Martin S

Thanks Jim De.

I will wait for Photokina to see if Sony has any new better quality W/A lenses available for the NEX5 before adapting the RF lenses.

Martin

Last edited:

douglasf13

It's driving me bonkers that Photozone has only tested a bunch of 50mm lenses and the 12mm CV, which have already been shown to be ok in the corners (resolution wise.) It's everything between 15mm-35mm that everyone seems interested in.

Jim DE

Douglas, I would think the corner resolution is helped on that 12 because it is such a slow lens at 5.6. My 28 Contax G looks good at 5.6 in the corners as I would expect all other 28's would display as well. Or am I wrong thinking this? You have to remember I was mostly making tools ( photographs with film) up to just recently ( had digitals but mostly shot film by a huge degree) so this sensor tech stuff is relatively new to me. ;)

monza

It's driving me bonkers that Photozone has only tested a bunch of 50mm lenses and the 12mm CV, which have already been shown to be ok in the corners (resolution wise.) It's everything between 15mm-35mm that everyone seems interested in.
I'm impressed that they are testing any adapted lenses at all!

ampguy

Hi Jonathon,

I don't have a NEX yet, but plan to down the road. One interesting thing with LTM lenses is that especially with wides, you can insert a shim (cut out ring from an expired credit card works fine), and for example, a 28mm now focuses to 10" but far focus is reduced to about 4 feet!

However, insertion and removal of the shim takes only a few seconds.

With the M8 and no live view, it takes about 3 shots once in the "zone" to get the perfect focus, so this is where the NEX may have an area to shine in, in addition to working great with the many focus-shifting M / ltm lenses out there.

Thanks, Cindy. This is most useful as I'm still trying to decide whether or not to join the NEX team. Although there's strong interest amongst forum members in using M-mount lenses on the NEX cameras, the 0.7 meter minimum focusing distance is a deal-breaker for me -- I gave up trying to use M lenses on m4/3 for that reason. The Pen F lenses offer an alternative but now I'm thinking that I might be better off using a small, fast 28mm SLR lens on the NEX...

N

nex100

The Contax 21mm is supposed to be SHARP right from wide-open but seems to have some fitment issues with the Contax G adapter (it "fits" but seems to be a bit tight)....in addition to the color shift issue.
It was mentioned in this forum that there is a color shift issue at the corners for the Contax G 21mm lens. I was wondering if a UV/IR filter will remove this color shift?

Jim DE

Negative, the color shift is due to the extreme angle the light has to travel to illuminate the edges of the sensor due to the close proximity of the lens rear element to the sensor. The further the rear element is away from the sensor the less this anomaly.

N

nex100

anyone has a corner fix lens profile for Contax G 21mm? I tried corner fix but somehow could not get it to work. Instead I reproduced very dark corners instead of fixing the magenta color shift? What did I do wrong?

chiquita

I bought a NEX 5 and 18-55 kit lens and I'm now looking for better lenses that can be used. I already have a NEX/Nikon adapter and I've seen a good offer on a Nikkor 50mm 1.8 lens. Will this work with the adapter I already have (for Nikon DX) and has anyone used this lens on their NEX? Any other suggestions gratefully received :confused:

monza

Finally got my Contax adapter: as has already been established, Contax G lenses work great on the NEX.

This is a quick shot taken with the 35/2 Planar combined with a Nikon close-up lens #4T (two-element 2.9 diopter.) Poor kitchen lighting, auto ISO chose 1600. Shot at f/2, 1/60s.

M

meilicke

Finally got my Contax adapter: as has already been established, Contax G lenses work great on the NEX.

This is a quick shot taken with the 35/2 Planar combined with a Nikon close-up lens #4T (two-element 2.9 diopter.) Poor kitchen lighting, auto ISO chose 1600. Shot at f/2, 1/60s.

Robert, this is quite a good example of what the camera can do in poor lighting at 1600. I don't think my old G1 could have pulled that off. Would you agree?

-Scott