The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A list of lenses that have been tested on the NEX--good and bad!

douglasf13

Interesting. That lens looks almost identical to the tiny Schneider C-Curtagon 35mm f2.8 that I used to own in m42 mount. If you go to the seller's page, there are listings for the Xenon in m4/3 mount, and also m42 Helicoid mounts. It looks like the seller is simply attaching their own adapter onto the Xenon lens. Odd.

http://shop.ebay.com/hawks_factory/m.html

sebboh

Interesting. That lens looks almost identical to the tiny Schneider C-Curtagon 35mm f2.8 that I used to own in m42 mount. If you go to the seller's page, there are listings for the Xenon in m4/3 mount, and also m42 Helicoid mounts. It looks like the seller is simply attaching their own adapter onto the Xenon lens. Odd.

http://shop.ebay.com/hawks_factory/m.html
yeah, i couldn't find much info about that specific lens, but from the pictures it doesn't look like it would be any improvement over my pen f 38/1.8. i can think of some interesting things to do with those helicoid adapters though. the focus on the lens he's offering might be better than the contax g for some people as well.

roweraay

Just to show how my 35mm equivalent walkaround with absolutely no distortions or color shifts or corner smudging or any of those unpleasantness looks like (A55 + Minolta 24mm f/2.8 that weighs in at around 200gms or so), here is a picture:

Jim DE

roweraay ;) and it can not use any legacy RF lenses which IS the main reason I picked a NEX.

I have said this many times ..... I carry both a a33 and a NEX5 and the NEX handles 90% of my shooting and the a33 does the other 10% and is carried for long AF zoom work and some rare off camera flash stuff. Both have excellent IQ. It is just the NEX and its ability to shoot every make lens I own makes it my goto carry camera. I can carry 7 lenses, filters, small tripod, and accessories in/on a 9"x14" doctors style camera bag that is very light and compact.

The bag with the stuff for the a33 is much bigger and only has 3 lenses, filters, and a flash with accessories and stays in the truck 99% of the time.

My carry set up is the NEX5, its bag, and the a33 with a long zoom attached and slung over my back in a tele dslr vertical shoulder case. If I need long telephoto shots it's there just in case. Most days the a33 never see's daylight but when you need it you need it.

douglasf13

The A55 is a cool camera, but, with the thickness of the A55/33 body, for my uses I may as well use the A900. A55/33 and NEX serve very different purposes.

Last edited:

douglasf13

Rangefinder lenses from 35mm and up generally don't have any problems on NEX. It is the wider than 35mm lenses that may show color shift or other problems in the corners. If I owned 35, 50 and 135 M lenses, the NEX would be a no-brainer for me. I actually bought a few 35s, a 50 and an 80 M and Nikon rangefinder mount lenses to go with the NEX-5.

Jim DE

The CV 28 smears and has some mild color shift why would you want to go wider and faster to get more of each?

sebboh

The CV 28 smears and has some mild color shift why would you want to go wider and faster to get more of each?
because it might not. the smearing and color shift have to do with the design of the lens. leica m 24mm lenses tend to be a bit retrofocal and thus might no smear as bad as the some 28mm lenses (anybody with $6k laying around want to test out the 24 lux :)). also i don't really care if there is color shift and smearing at infinity and f/2 or faster as long as it takes care of itself by ~f/5.6. the results look pretty good from the zm 25mm despite the color shift, but it is too slow for me.

Jim DE

You kinda went in a circle; you don't care if smearing and color shift take care of themselves by f5.6 but .... The 25 it too slow?????? Why would slow matter if your going to use a lens at 5.6 or more????????

sebboh

You kinda went in a circle; you don't care if smearing and color shift take care of themselves by f5.6 but .... The 25 it too slow?????? Why would slow matter if your going to use a lens at 5.6 or more????????
i'm not going to only use the lens at f/5.6 or smaller. i'm only going to use it at infinite at f/5.6 or smaller. also, when i shoot at f/2 or wider the corners are never in focus anyway.

simonclivehughes

I have been using the CV 12mm, 21mm, 28mm f2, 50mm f1.1, 75mm f1.8 and 90mm on NEX 5s with good results. Personally, I find all this hoopla about smeared and coloured corners is overblown. Yes there's some evidence of it, but in the grand scheme of things if the image is a strong one, it doesn't worry me in the least, especially if I'm shooting for B&W.

Cheers,

douglasf13

As long as the corners are ok by around f5.6, I'm fine with it. Most lenses don't have particularly sharp corners at wider apertures, anyways.

I'm starting to notice would may be characterized as focus shift in the corners, and I think the microlenses cause it. I'm finding that if I focus in the corners, rather than the center, it is possible to get much sharper corners. Normally, I would attribute this to field curvature, but I think the microlenses with the angled light rays may be the culprit.

Amatieris

i'm not going to only use the lens at f/5.6 or smaller. i'm only going to use it at infinite at f/5.6 or smaller. also, when i shoot at f/2 or wider the corners are never in focus anyway.
very good point about the corners being irrelevant at large apertures. It is always better to have no colour shift and smearing but I start to think I could live with it as long as it was possible to mount the biogon 21 on NEX.

N

nex100

21mm Contax G with Kipon adapter works well on the Nex giving it a equivalent fov of 32mm which is good for general photography. No smearing only color shifts when taking pictures of the sky (or light colored background) which can be fixed by corner fix and since it can batch process my photos i think it is ok.

I cut the little legs of these contax g lens (21mm & 28mm) which does nothing for photographs. I just have to put the lens upside down with their caps on. I've tried contax g lens 21mm, 28mm, 45mm and 90mm. I think all are great and they make a nice set on the Nex.

Amatieris

Thanks for sharing your experience! I would appreciate greatly if you posted some pictures taken with 21mm and 28mm - not to look for smearing but to see what can be achieved with the lens. Do you have to cut the legs off completely or only say 2mm off?

I would love the zm 25 but I'm thinking a cv 24 would be half the price. I'm also hoping that the zeiss e-mount is a 24mm so I'm hesitant of getting a lens then have to replace it.

N

nex100

Thanks for sharing your experience! I would appreciate greatly if you posted some pictures taken with 21mm and 28mm - not to look for smearing but to see what can be achieved with the lens. Do you have to cut the legs off completely or only say 2mm off?
i only cut off enough such that the lens protector are shorter then the rear element.

here are the photos. 2 of which ith full size jpegs

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/7613848043/photos