The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A list of lenses that have been tested on the NEX--good and bad!

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Here are some test shots with 21/4 skopar. Color shift issues (fixed by cornerfix) but no smearing. Here are two OOC JPEGS with no issues as far as I can tell. Then a before and after shot originally taken as RAW, converted to DNG and fixed by CF.

View attachment 37015
View attachment 37016
View attachment 37018
View attachment 37017

Mike,
I used cornerfix on my M8, but haven't tried it with NEX files. I have the Zeiss Biogon 25 f/2.8 ZM and would love to use it on the NEX, but the color shift is not a regular vignette. Can you explain what you have to do with Cornerfix to correct a file that has an irregular color shift. My photos all have more magenta on the right side of the photo. TIA

M

mike_hk2ksk

Mike,
I used cornerfix on my M8, but haven't tried it with NEX files. I have the Zeiss Biogon 25 f/2.8 ZM and would love to use it on the NEX, but the color shift is not a regular vignette. Can you explain what you have to do with Cornerfix to correct a file that has an irregular color shift. My photos all have more magenta on the right side of the photo. TIA
Cindy,

I am new to Cornerfix, but happy to share my experiences.

Apparently there is a really easy way to create a CF profile specific to your lens. Irrelugar shift will be calibrated out. All you need is large enough white poster board. It's all described in a good tutorial here:
http://www.digitalhapeman.com/Digit...tra-Wides_on_the_Leica_Digital_M_Cameras.html

I have not done this yet. Instead I am using one of the profiles provided with the latest CF version, that approximates my lens shift close enough.

Hope this helps.

Here is another useful link: http://sites.google.com/site/chromasoft/

sandymc

Mike,
Cindy,

CornerFix 1.4.0.3 should work fine with a NEX - I have a NEX-5 myself these days :)

CornerFix is good at irregular vignetting since the M9 came out(!) The process is exactly the same as for regular M8/M9 vignetting, other than you have to convert the NEX file to DNG via Adobe's free DNG converter.

There's a new CornerFix website that gives a better explanation than the old PDF files here: http://sites.google.com/site/cornerfix/

Regards,

Sandy

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Thank you Mike for the information. Thank you Sandy. I sincerely appreciate the work that you have done on cornerfix. I haven't used it in a while and will get busy and give my Zeiss 25 a spin on the NEX.

Cindy,

I am new to Cornerfix, but happy to share my experiences.

Apparently there is a really easy way to create a CF profile specific to your lens. Irrelugar shift will be calibrated out. All you need is large enough white poster board. It's all described in a good tutorial here:
http://www.digitalhapeman.com/Digit...tra-Wides_on_the_Leica_Digital_M_Cameras.html

I have not done this yet. Instead I am using one of the profiles provided with the latest CF version, that approximates my lens shift close enough.

Hope this helps.

Here is another useful link: http://sites.google.com/site/chromasoft/
Cindy,

CornerFix 1.4.0.3 should work fine with a NEX - I have a NEX-5 myself these days :)

CornerFix is good at irregular vignetting since the M9 came out(!) The process is exactly the same as for regular M8/M9 vignetting, other than you have to convert the NEX file to DNG via Adobe's free DNG converter.

There's a new CornerFix website that gives a better explanation than the old PDF files here: http://sites.google.com/site/cornerfix/

Regards,

Sandy

Amatieris

I noticed there is now a new Metabones adapter that apparently allows 21mm to be mounted on NEX. Anyone used it yet?

Jim DE

Amatieris, I just went to their site and saw it listed but the tab to open it's file does not work ...... I am guessing it is too new to be in production yet. If it does allow the 21 to work on it I will surely order one if it has a large focus ring like the Kipon. I am going to call them Monday on this. Thanks for the heads up.

How do you know it allows the 21mm Contax G to work?

Jim DE

I see a tutorial on using Contax G 21 and 28 on 4/3 cameras but it shows how to cut the lens extensions to get them to work ..... hope that is not their solution for the NEX too.

fotografz

Coincidently, we went to an early dinner and then to a photo Gallery opening last night, and I took the NEX with a 21mm mounted using the Kipon adapter.

Only took 4 snaps, and here they are posted below ... mostly "window shots" as we headed for the opening (where I bought a phenomenal B&W print from a local photographer:thumbs:).

ISO 1600, manual exposure, Leica 21/1.4 ASPH. mostly wide open. The ornament is a severe crop from Christmas window shot (Jeeze, Christmas stuff already?). The "Diner" shot is hard to tell from a M9 shot ($500. verses $7,000.:eek:)

Interestingly, the NEX seems to exhibit less sensor bloom around specular highlights compared to the M9. I'll have to confirm that with a lot more shooting. This 21 lens is very sharp even wide open. I could detect no vignette color casts in the corners or edges.

I solved the small camera/bigger lens issue, at least for me. I mounted an old Leica wrist strap on the left side of the camera so I can carry the rig by gripping the lens in my fist ... there are too many buttons to deal with the right hand to have it confined in any way. My only wish for the NEX would be to have the focus assist magnifier button located at the top right rather than the lower right. I'm still practicing with this little bugger, and still trying to get the rhythm down for shooting manually. Can't use it for anything "real" until that is accomplished.

-Marc

Last edited:

douglasf13

Thanks for the pics, Marc. Glad to see the 21 Lux doesn't have any issues. I totally agree about the location of the magnification button. I was hoping that the firmware update would change that, but I guess that was a little too optimistic. I'm slowly getting better and better at nailing focus without magnification at f2 and up.

ampguy

Thanks for the info. Is the smearing and/or color shift with RF wides on the NEX only in the corners/edges, or throughout the center of the image too?

I'd love to use my CV 21/4 on the NEX, and try my LTM 15/4.5, and 28/2.8.

The CV 28 smears and has some mild color shift why would you want to go wider and faster to get more of each?

douglasf13

The issues generally pop up near the edges, and they sometimes improve when stopping down. There are so many factors that contribute to the edge performance that it's pretty tough to determine how each lens will perform without trying it yourself.

Amatieris

I see a tutorial on using Contax G 21 and 28 on 4/3 cameras but it shows how to cut the lens extensions to get them to work ..... hope that is not their solution for the NEX too.
Hi, I saw the adapter on ebay as well! there was a picture and description, stating that 21mm works with it, I will try to find the link to ebay!

douglasf13

I don't believe it matters which adapter is used. It's part of the inside of the sensor box that gets in the way of the 21mm ears.

Jim DE

Doug I would agree unless the adapter is slightly thicker which would eliminate the interference issue but would effectively also change the field of view too unfortunately

sebboh

Doug I would agree unless the adapter is slightly thicker which would eliminate the interference issue but would effectively also change the field of view too unfortunately
it wouldn't change the field of view, it would make it a macro only lens.

K

koji

The newest Kipon G->E adapter works with the unmodified G-Biogon 21mm.
Though the image has slight colour shift in the corners, also better than CV SWH 15/4.5's.
(see it for yourself > http://www.pbase.com/kkawakami/inbox)

Amatieris

The newest Kipon G->E adapter works with the unmodified G-Biogon 21mm.
Though the image has slight colour shift in the corners, also better than CV SWH 15/4.5's.
(see it for yourself > http://www.pbase.com/kkawakami/inbox)
Hi, I suppose the link is to your pictures? In which case you have tested the adapter yourself. Could you please give a link to the new adapter and tell me how can I tell it apart from the old one?
BTW I wrote an email to the ebay seller and got a reply that Metabones adapter still requires cutting of the protective fins of 21mm (about 3mm off).