The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

RAW - M adapter - zoom review problem

roweraay

(plenty of space on the memory card for the amount of time i have to shoot these days.
I bought a 64GB SDXS card, since the primary purpose of the NEX (for me) was to shoot HD video. When this large 14MP of resolution is crunched down to an HD-sized image (1920x1080), the results just don't fail to be impressive....especially when coming from such a relatively larger sensor.

The A900 is amazing for stills ! ;) Pictures shot with the CZ135/1.8 Sonnar etc., even when enlarged to 24"x36" inches, retain fine detail (coupled with the A900's native exceptional ability with colors) even when viewed from inches away. Priceless ! :toocool:

roweraay

FWIW, it's a good idea to always turn off DRO while shooting RAW-only with any Sony camera. Even though it doesn't directly affect RAW output, it boosts the jpeg preview on the camera's LCD screen, which can lead you to believe you've exposed correctly. Then, when you get your file into the RAW converter, your shots may sometimes be underexposed.
Other than fiddling with DRO for a few minutes when I first got the camera (A900) nearly 2 years back, I have always kept it firmly switched off, since I did not want any effect from such DRO type stuff to be impacting my priceless RAW files. Will do the same with the NEX too.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
No, DRO does not work in RAW. I had my camera set to DRO and Fine (jpeg). When I was done shooting DRO, I went to the Menu/Image size, and changed to RAW and did not change DRO. I knew that DRO did not work in RAW, so now I am in RAW...didn't think I needed to change DRO...it should be disabled. I took the photo and when I went to zoom in to look at it , I was faced with the strange rendering. I took another shot and found the same thing. Then I re-formatted the card and tried again. No go. I switched cards. No go. Then I started looking at my settings and saw that DRO was still enabled. I turned that off and the problem was solved!

Basically, if you are shooting RAW you can not turn on DRO. If you have DRO enabled, you can turn on RAW...that causes the "problem" to manifest itself.

Last edited:

jonoslack

Basically, if you are shooting RAW you can not turn on DRO. If you have DRO enabled, you can turn on RAW...that causes the "problem" to manifest itself.
Well, I'm still getting the issue - even with DRO firmly off, and shooting RAW only - mostly just a green cast, and it doesn't affect the RAW files, but it's not completely gone away. A bug that needs fixing, but at least this thread has taught me that it isn't a camera which needs fixing!

jonoslack

Agreed. And I would have started another whole new thread about the "horrendous" RAWs from the NEX5, when shooting with non-Alpha lenses.:eek:

I have been shooting a bit with the CZ135/1.8 and the CZ85/1.4 - both A-mount primes - the results were just sublime !
I was having a go with the CZ135/1.8 yesterday as well - it's great (and actually handles quite well with it's relatively short focus throw).

I don't have the 85 . . . don't tempt me!
Still, it's sure nice with a 75 'cron.

roweraay

I was having a go with the CZ135/1.8 yesterday as well - it's great (and actually handles quite well with it's relatively short focus throw).

I don't have the 85 . . . don't tempt me!
Still, it's sure nice with a 75 'cron.
Yeah, the cz85 Planar is nearly as good optically, as the cz135 Sonnar, and since it is a shorter FL, I believe pairs better with the 1.5x crop of the NEX, for more everyday situations. It works really well on the A900 too, for indoor pictures (in particular), where space is at a premium - the images just stand out, when compared to pictures taken with even the best of zooms - corner to corner, on the A900.

Another advantage of the CZ85 is that it is a lot smaller than the 135. Smaller and noticeably lighter (even though unlike the 135, it does extend when focusing).

I once took a group shot (over a 100 people) with the A900+CZ85 and the output - processed via DXO from RAW - was just stunning. STUNNING ! (pardon my shouting but I get a bit carried away, when describing optical brilliance :eek:)

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Well, I'm still getting the issue - even with DRO firmly off, and shooting RAW only - mostly just a green cast, and it doesn't affect the RAW files, but it's not completely gone away. A bug that needs fixing, but at least this thread has taught me that it isn't a camera which needs fixing!
Yes, I'm still getting the green cast, but you can at least judge sharpness. With the "wood grain" look, it was impossible to judge sharpness.

Jim DE

Cindy, Jono...... are you both getting the green cast 100% of the time or is it a random issue. Mine is random .... sometimes it's green cast sometimes it's fine.

peterv

I believe in order to avoid the issue the NEX must shoot RAW+JPEG.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Jim,
I shoot raw when I'm not shooting HDR/DRO or panorama. I am seeing the green problem randomly. I really haven't tried to figure out the sequence of events that triggers it, because it isn't that annoying to me. I only use the review to check the histo and sharpness, not color. I'm not dismissing the bug, I'd like to see it fixed, but it isn't stopping me from taking photos.