The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

RAW - M adapter - zoom review problem

jonoslack

Hi There
I've been shooting RAW on the NEX 5 with no issues. Yesterday my nice little Kipon adapter arrived. Last night I shot a couple of dozen shots with various leica lenses . . . . I did notice that in zooming in, (enlarge button) one often got psychedelic colours . . . this morning when I looked the pictures were gone!

Okay, maybe bad SD card, so I reformat a different one, shoot 20 or 30 shots with kit lens - all good. Do some test shots with the 35 'lux .. same psychedelic enlarge colours (although no missing files this time). Interestingly if there is a bad enlarge, then this may happen with pictures taken with the Sony lenses after. They all seem fine when downloaded to Aperture.

So - has anyone else seen this weird behaviour when shooting RAW with an M adapter fitted? . . . . or is it my camera?

roweraay

My adapter is currently on the way from Hong Kong so cannot test till it gets here. The problem certainly sounds really un-usual.

jonoslack

Hi There
more testing suggests it's only with the Kipon adapter - I've been having a lot of fun with the Sony adapter and the 135 f1.8 zeiss (looks silly but works great), but without the issue:wtf::confused:

douglasf13

You know, I actually read something about this a while back and forgot about. I'll have to see if I can find the link. Maybe your M9s feel threatened and are sabotaging your new little toy? :LOL:

roweraay

Hi There
more testing suggests it's only with the Kipon adapter - I've been having a lot of fun with the Sony adapter and the 135 f1.8 zeiss (looks silly but works great), but without the issue:wtf::confused:
Yeah, but the Sony adapter allows back and forth communication between the camera and the lens, since it has electronics in it and thus the camera is able to specifically recognize A-mount lenses (albeit without AF for now). Lenses like the CZ135, CZ85, CZ16-35 etc are A-mount lenses which should be getting fully recognizable electronic signals from the camera, where the E-mount protocol is translated into the A-mount's protocol and vice-versa.

These other adapters are simple mechanical couplings that allow the mounting of 3rd party lenses. Even so, I am still surprised at what you are encountering and would chalk it down as an aberration.

peterv

Hi Jono,

like Douglas, I think I've read about this earlier on, maybe a few weeks ago. I'll try and find it. Were you shooting RAW + JPG? Did you connect the SD card to your Mac and see that it was empty in the Finder, or did you use A3 import? It might 'just' be the JPGs. Do you perhaps have DRO on the NEX enabled?

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Jono, I believe that this happens when you have an adapted lens on the camera shooting RAW and HDR/DRO is not set to off. It was happening to me. I changed cards/reformatted...still happened. Then I changed that setting and it went away.

Jim DE

Jono, This happened to me with the exception of the lost images ..... the enlarge button issue on RAW with DRO on has been discussed but I still get a huge color shift to green even with DRO off shooting RAW at times. There is definitely a bug there somewhere. I just have grown to accept the post process zoom view issue with the 3rd party lenses and work through it. If I had lost my pics I would of been ticked.

jonoslack

You Lot Are So Fab
Cindy - Ray - Peter.

So now I'll switch DRO off.

as for the missed files . . . I'm rather embarrassed, it seems I downloaded them to my ipad very late last night, and must have erased the card by mistake, so the pictures aren't lost after all:thumbup:

Thanks again - I'll check and report back.

all the best

Terry

You Lot Are So Fab
Cindy - Ray - Peter.

So now I'll switch DRO off.

as for the missed files . . . I'm rather embarrassed, it seems I downloaded them to my ipad very late last night, and must have erased the card by mistake, so the pictures aren't lost after all:thumbup:

Thanks again - I'll check and report back.

all the best
Sounds like too much wine was involved :p

jonoslack

Sounds like too much wine was involved :p
:ROTFL:
Well, actually, you're right. Silas and I had been to Aberdeen for a business trip (rather successful) we flew back early evening and had a couple of drinks on the way, then it turned into a late night and I was fiddling about with the ipad and the pictures (the clue was actually your reply to the pics I sent you!).

douglasf13

FWIW, it's a good idea to always turn off DRO while shooting RAW-only with any Sony camera. Even though it doesn't directly affect RAW output, it boosts the jpeg preview on the camera's LCD screen, which can lead you to believe you've exposed correctly. Then, when you get your file into the RAW converter, your shots may sometimes be underexposed.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Agreed ! I would have been merrily clicking away when I get my Summicron, without switching off DRO/HDR, if I had not known about this foible and would have been ticked at the results.
You would have realized there was a problem as soon as you zoomed in on your photos to check focus.

sebboh

Jono, This happened to me with the exception of the lost images ..... the enlarge button issue on RAW with DRO on has been discussed but I still get a huge color shift to green even with DRO off shooting RAW at times. There is definitely a bug there somewhere. I just have grown to accept the post process zoom view issue with the 3rd party lenses and work through it. If I had lost my pics I would of been ticked.
i noticed this green shift a few days ago too. i figured the camera just doesn't properly create jpeg previews when you shoot only raw. guess if i ever shot with a sony lens i would have noticed that it worked for them. oh well, hopefully they'll fix this with a firmware update soon. in the mean time i've just been shooting raw + jpeg so i can see the previews (plenty of space on the memory card for the amount of time i have to shoot these days.

roweraay

You would have realized there was a problem as soon as you zoomed in on your photos to check focus.
Agreed. And I would have started another whole new thread about the "horrendous" RAWs from the NEX5, when shooting with non-Alpha lenses.:eek:

I have been shooting a bit with the CZ135/1.8 and the CZ85/1.4 - both A-mount primes - the results were just sublime ! These lenses are just amazing - even wide open - on the challenging territory of the A900 and thus the results were certainly not surprising on the NEX. The A-mount adapter however, is a bit wonky (over an inch thick, since it is a dSLR lens !) and thus the combo, even with a small 50mm prime, looks bulky.....and hence my search for RF lenses with their slimmer adapters and smaller/lighter lenses ! :)