The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nex auto iso with mf lens ?

My G1 would default to 1/30 sec with manual lenses and auto iso, this was not ideal. A selectable range would have been much more useful, how does this work with the NEX ?

Thanks

Tim

sebboh

My G1 would default to 1/30 sec with manual lenses and auto iso, this was not ideal. A selectable range would have been much more useful, how does this work with the NEX ?

Thanks

Tim
same, for the NEX - 1/30 sec. when i'm in lower light using a manual lens i actually put the camera in S mode and set the shutter speed to what i think the minimum shutter speed should be. the camera has no trouble adjusting auto iso to get the correct exposure even though it has no aperture info.

Well if you can set the shutter speed to say 1/60th and it autos up iso to the correct exposure then that's good enough.

Thanks Tim

lambert

The NEX is much better than the G's or EP's when shooting with MF glass.

When shooting indoors I just set the mode to Shutter priority and dial in my preferred shutter speed, say 1/50sec, and let the NEX set ISO automatically. This was never possible with my G1 or GH1.

Thanks

Tim

I'm becoming more and more interested in the NEX maybe I should hold onto my Canon LTM 50/1.8 rangefinder lens might be a nice on the Nex. I used this lens on my Epson rangefinder with great results.

tm

When shooting indoors I just set the mode to Shutter priority and dial in my preferred shutter speed, say 1/50sec, and let the NEX set ISO automatically. This was never possible with my G1 or GH1.

M

matti

That is great. I didn't think about using S in this way. Now, if the display would only show the ISO, I wouldn't need anything else.
/matti

T

tigertimb

Needing to use shutter priority isn't ideal for me. It means that I'm always hovering at the limit of what I think I can handhold and I'm not getting better stability in good light.

So I'd definitely still like the option to set the minimum shutter speed before it adjusts the ISO.
1/30sec may be a sensible default for the kit lens with image stabilisation or the pancake without, but fit any longer lens and it can be way too slow and I'd prefer the camera to adjust the ISO sooner.

simonclivehughes

I find the high ISO so good, I just leave the camera set at 1600. I haven't received my M-to-NEX adapters yet, but this should work for MF lenses too.

Cheers,

T

tigertimb

I agree that the high ISO is good and for most subjects I'm more than happy with it and think that it's a real strength of the camera.

But when taking portraits and focussing tightly on the 'eye', there's something about the nature of the detail that suffers with even moderate noise and loses that critical impact.

So in this case the priority for me would be to stick at ISO 200 whereever possible and only use higher ISO when I absolutely have to. An option to set the slowest shutter speed I'm happy to use and know that the camera will only adjust the ISO below that threshold would be a very helpful bit of automation. (and I'd like the same on my A900 too)

For other types of shots I wouldn't say the noise matters as much; but I'm still always going to want to use the low ISO when I can, in preference to the high