The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Brick Wall Lens Tests with the NEX

monza

Heck, a few months ago the 90mm were $100 at B&H in 9+ condition.

The 35/2 being the weakest IQ speaks loads for how spectacular all the others are. :) The 35/2 is a superb lens, it's supposed lack of IQ is an internet myth.

Jim DE

monza, my experience with the 35 f2 on my Contax G2 backed up that myth. Of all my lenses it was the worst. The 21 is exceptional, the 28 and 45 are superb. the 90 was great except on some rare occasions focus got sketchy on the G2 with it. The 35mm F2 I used maybe 6-8 times and set it aside as its perspective was only 7mm above my 28 and 10mm below my 45 and its IQ was no where near the other two's IQ IMO. Now I can't even find it to try on my NEX :( Pretty sure it is in a storage area in the midwest.

It could of been just my 35mm f2 with my Contax G2 but I arrived at my conclusions on it way before I ever read a thing on it from others on the net. There could very well be some great 35 f2's out there .... mine was not one of them.

monza

I suppose there are always sample variations. :) I've been very very pleased with G lenses, after owning them a few times going back to the mid 90s, on G1s and G2s. The 35 was never produced in the same quantities as the others, coming out after the 28/45/90. Not surprising it's getting difficult to find, as on the NEX its a really good option for ~50mm equivalent.

As for use on the NEX, there really are no finer adapted lens options, as long as one is happy with f/2, or 2.8 on the 90.

Jim DE

Monza, I luv them on my NEX 5. I am even using the 28mm though it does smear wide open and at infinity. I work around that with smaller apertures or framing shots before it needs a infinity focus setting. Even at infinity at full size smearing is just about gone at 5.6 and what little is there can be taken care of with a sharpening brush. Above 5.6 no smearing issues at all at infinity. I like the 42mm perspective it give's me.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
It looks like KEH might have gotten a few more in. If you are looking for them, I would keep checking back.
I think you can still find them if you do a little sleuthing.

monza

Yep, KEH has at least one 35 now...probably won't last thru the night. :)

Jim, that's great on the 28. :)

Jim DE

Engel, not me ..... I would if I had one but that lense never really interested me due to it's speed. I hear for a zoom it was a good lens but I have never used one. Sorry.

roweraay

They have been out of production, but my set of 3 (bought separately), looks like new. My glass is perfect. Terry told me that her 35 and 45 looked like they had never been used. Contax G lenses do seem to be disappearing fast from the usual places, like the excellent Pen-F lenses did, but they are still there if you want them.
Okay, so I splurged a bit. :eek:

I just saw an EX+ 21mm Contax G (with finder) come up on KEH (was not there even yesterday night) and placed an order for it right away. 21mm gets really close to the 35mm FOV that I had really wanted all along. Of course I won't be needing the add-on finder of the 21mm, on the NEX.

If the Contax G works out well on the NEX, then I will sell off the Leica Summicron 35/2 (which I am supposed to receive sometime today). Now I need a Contax G adapter. I believe Monza had linked up a site that sells the adapter, which I need to look up.

douglasf13

Cool, I can't wait to hear how the 21mm performs. Be sure and be careful about the rear element shroud touching the camera near the sensor.

roweraay

Cool, I can't wait to hear how the 21mm performs. Be sure and be careful about the rear element shroud touching the camera near the sensor.
Okay, I will keep an eye open for the rear element shroud.

I got my Summicron 35/2 around a 1/2 hour back. The lens, a late pre-ASPH German built black version, also called the "Bokeh king", is in excellent condition and came with the hood, Leica retail box, front/rear caps etc but I don't have the adapter (yet) to try it out on the NEX. Hopefully it will get here soon.

It will be either this 35/2 or the Contax G 21, that I will be using on the NEX and depending on the one I will be sticking with, the other will have to go. We'll see. :)

I now need to buy an adapter for the Contax G. Seems like Kipon is the adapter that is most readily found, and the eBay stores that have it, charge well over $100 for it and it comes from Hong Kong or China.

douglasf13

I'm really hoping that 21mm performs nicely, as it would fill a much needed gap for a ~35mm equivalent. Enjoy your new (to you) Leica. That lens is a beauty.

roweraay

I'm really hoping that 21mm performs nicely, as it would fill a much needed gap for a ~35mm equivalent. Enjoy your new (to you) Leica. That lens is a beauty.
Yup, keeping my fingers crossed on this. The 21mm was significantly pricier than the rest of the G lenses, probably because of the extra finder. I truly hope it performs well.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Here is a link (someone from dpreview pointed me to it) with some full-size pictures taken with the NEX5 and Contax G 21mm f/2.8 Biogon:

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/review/dressup/20100818_387505.html

There are picture links within and if you click on them, they will open a new window with the full-size image. Clearly, there is a bit of color shift but otherwise seems to perform well, right from wide open.
I would be happy with it for black and white, but I find the color shift a PITA. It seems like more color shift on the right side of the frame, which is what I saw when I tested my Zeiss 25 f/2.8 M Biogon. That color shift was work to correct. We would need something like Cornerfix profiles to make the workflow easier.

Jim DE

roweraay, I own the 21mm Contax G lens and with the Kipon adapter I experienced installation interference 1-1.5mm before the lens and adapter became fully seated into the camera's mounting plate (One could force it together but I didn't). I went no further with the installation as it did slightly scuff the blackout. I would highly recommend NOT using this lens on the NEX 5. I have seen pictures of them mounted and even that site now tells its customers NOT to use the 21mm lens with the adapter even though their advertising states otherwise for that store. I luv the 21mm and really wanted to use it but I don't. Others can do as they want but my experience say's it is a "no go". Take it for what it's worth!

roweraay, check the question and answer section for that China stores site on the Kipon adapter for the Contax G to NEX.... you will see they changed their tune.

Last edited:

roweraay

roweraay, check the question and answer section for that China stores site on the Kipon adapter for the Contax G to NEX.... you will see they changed their tune.
Jim, thanks for your perspective on this.

Yes, I specifically emailed him about that answer in the Q&A section and he clarified that the adapter does work with the 21mm now.

The following was my question:
------------------
Hi, in response to a question on whether the adapter is compatible with the 21mm and 16mm, you stated that it is only compatible with 28mm, 35mm, 45mm etc but you have a picture listed with the 21mm f/2.8 Biogon mounted. I have a 21mm Biogon on the way, and just wanted to confirm if it would work with this adapter, before ordering. Thanks.
------------------

His emailed answer was:
-----------------------
21mm lens is ok, but 16mm lens can't mount on camera body. Thank you!
-----------------------

The only question in my mind is, have they made any mods to the adapter, since it was originally developed, which in turn now allows them to state that it also works with the 21mm ?

Either way, if it does not fit into the NEX5 with the adapter smoothly, then I will have to let the lens go. I will absolutely not be making any kind of physical mods on the lens, nor will I try to force it in, in any way. We'll see.

Last edited:

roweraay

I would be happy with it for black and white, but I find the color shift a PITA. It seems like more color shift on the right side of the frame, which is what I saw when I tested my Zeiss 25 f/2.8 M Biogon. That color shift was work to correct. We would need something like Cornerfix profiles to make the workflow easier.
Based on a posting on dpr, there is a cornerfix profile for this combo, supposedly. The guy who pointed me to this site with the sample pictures, was the one who stated that. I will of course have to dig into this a bit, after receiving the lens. Of course I am not going to force the lens into the adapter/camera and will only use it, if it fits in cleanly.

Jim DE

roweraay, I bought from the same site for the same reason and then it did have one question as to the 21mm and he assured the OP that it worked. I right now have them in hand and the same results are there..... interference 1-1.5mm before the adapter seats. I guess if I wound the focus wheel out with the lens attached to make the lens like it is focusing at a foot it could install but going to infinity focus would definitely have interference with the blacked out area within the perimeter of the lens mounting area. it does not hit the sensor from what I can see. I, like you, refuse to make adaptations to my 21mm because I value it too much as a lens on my Contax G2. IMO it is the best lens of all the Contax G series lenses and I still use it 75% of the time on my Contax.

For me it stays with my G2 and not on my NEX 5. I really wanted it to function with my NEX in the worst kind of way. Wish you the best of luck with yours if you decide to use it on your NEX.