The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEX flash connection

V

Vivek

Has anyone managed make a cable connection (extension) for the NEX flash slot?

Also, is there a screw in flash cold shoe available?

TIA!

(PS: Except for a couple of test snaps, I have not used the supplied peanut flash.)

V

Vivek

Does anyone use this flash at all or is it just like the wide/fish converters that Sony made for the NEX lenses?

simonclivehughes

Vivek,

I've used it a couple of times for indoors shooting. It's reach is just a few feet but it seems to work well exposure-wise. You are able to adjust the flash EV for balancing (runs a bit hot for my taste). It's probably usable as a daylight fill flash. As a rule, I very rarely use flash, so the NEXs' low light performance really thrills me.

I'm really hoping for an EVF to use with that port. :clap:

Cheers,

roweraay

Interestingly, the NEX camcorder comes with an A-mount hotshoe (at least visually that is how it looks), in addition to a coldshoe. So that means future more "serious" models will come with an A-mount hotshoe.

V

Vivek

Surely one does not need this many connections if it is only for a flash and a stereo mic?!

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

NEX Peanut flash' connector

V

Vivek

I opened up the peanut flash (pry open the side plastic panels. Underneath each side, there are two screws.).

Sony went crazy with the wiring. There are at least 5-7 electrical connections leading to the plug. A bit more complicated than I thought.

Still, a lot less connections needed for the flash than the 14pins in the connector.