The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New sony Cams (SLT A55/A33)... Interesting stuff

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
m42 lenses are the easiest to adapt to Alpha. Contax CY and Leica R can be adapted through Leitax. Just about everything else require DIY mount removal or an adapter with a glass element in it (bad idea.)
I have a lot of M42 lenses. Will an m42 to Alpha adapter happen, or does it exist already?

Keith

Last edited:

emr

Another interesting aside is that if they are announcing the A33/55 this far ahead of Photokina, then the conclusion I can draw from that is that the A33/55 are small news from Sony's perspective.
Or is it clever marketing: everybody is waiting for Photokina, where the releases will be flooding and some may go nearly unnoticed. Now they get all the attention.

douglasf13

I have a lot of M42 lenses. Will an m42 to Alpha adapter happen, or does it exist already?

Keith
They are all over ebay. I personally went with one from James Lao, because you can have the adapter chipped, and therefore it reports info to the cam like focal length (helps with image stabilization.)

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
To me personally the 10fps is good news for what I call the "Uwe approach", high speed bursts to increase dynamic range. I am also curious to see how the 70-400G will act as a 600mm in that respect. I would hope for very acceptable ISO 1600, but I am not holding my breath on that part, would be nice though.

Look like a lot of bang for the buck. Hopefully as flawless a launch as the a900 was. Fingers crossed.

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
I wonder though.... if they show the A700 successor soon, based on this new stuff.... differences should be very interesting! Still, that baby looks very sweet to me on the paper. :)

jonoslack

Ummmm would that be at the camera shop or at home with your own copy :D
First in the camera shop - but I'm actually rather seriously tempted.
We'll see . . . if it was out on September 6th I'd snap one up for the Crete trip, things may be different by the end of the month!

How about you?

Terry

First in the camera shop - but I'm actually rather seriously tempted.
We'll see . . . if it was out on September 6th I'd snap one up for the Crete trip, things may be different by the end of the month!

How about you?
I can't disclose that just yet....or I really might be forced to actually launch a site with the name i own gearwhoredom.com :D

Seriously, all of my gear is up for review. I enjoyed Ireland with the A900/NEX combo. That leaves me thinking about what I do with all my M4/3 gear. I'm a bit gun-shy to sell it until I have a better understanding of what Sony is going to do on the high end.

Although, when I seriously analyze my shooting it is mostly with smaller cameras and then the A900 comes out to do landscapes. If that is the case I should really just have a small system and perhaps a tech camera for landscapes. Tech camera and a lens or two makes for a really small (but very expensive) kit and my day to day kit is really small. These small cameras with really good IQ have changed the game a bit.

A

Andrea Buso

They are all over ebay. I personally went with one from James Lao, because you can have the adapter chipped, and therefore it reports info to the cam like focal length (helps with image stabilization.)
Hi! Is it possible to have a link where I could find James Lao adapters.

I was able to find some on Ebay that are chipped and give AF confirmation. Do you think that would do?
http://cgi.ebay.com/AF-Confirm-chip...170484452596?pt=Lens_Accessories#ht_500wt_928

Thanks.

Last edited:

douglasf13

I can't disclose that just yet....or I really might be forced to actually launch a site with the name i own gearwhoredom.com :D

Seriously, all of my gear is up for review. I enjoyed Ireland with the A900/NEX combo. That leaves me thinking about what I do with all my M4/3 gear. I'm a bit gun-shy to sell it until I have a better understanding of what Sony is going to do on the high end.

Although, when I seriously analyze my shooting it is mostly with smaller cameras and then the A900 comes out to do landscapes. If that is the case I should really just have a small system and perhaps a tech camera for landscapes. Tech camera and a lens or two makes for a really small (but very expensive) kit and my day to day kit is really small. These small cameras with really good IQ have changed the game a bit.
I feel like I'm in a situation that is a little similar. I really only see myself using the A900 for tripod work at this point, because the NEX IQ is so good for the size. I don't really need fast autofocus or anything. It'll be interesting if Sony brings an A99.

docmaas

Hi! Is it possible to have a link where I could find James Lao adapters.

I was able to find some on Ebay that are chipped and give AF confirmation. Do you think that would do?
http://cgi.ebay.com/AF-Confirm-chip...170484452596?pt=Lens_Accessories#ht_500wt_928

Thanks.
Try this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...203464&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_3508wt_913

The English is a bit tortured but I bought two of them this spring. They set the focal length on the chip and the chip aperture can be set with the dial for the exif. Doesn't change the aperture in the lens just prints whatever you set with the dial to the exif.

I'm pretty sure they still work the same way but as I said the english is a bit tortured.

I take the chips off and put them on leica and contax adapters.

Mike

p.s. This is the same functionality that Lao offers for 3x the price.

A

Andrea Buso

Try this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...203464&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_3508wt_913

The English is a bit tortured but I bought two of them this spring. They set the focal length on the chip and the chip aperture can be set with the dial for the exif. Doesn't change the aperture in the lens just prints whatever you set with the dial to the exif.

I'm pretty sure they still work the same way but as I said the english is a bit tortured.

I take the chips off and put them on leica and contax adapters.

Mike

p.s. This is the same functionality that Lao offers for 3x the price.
Thank you!

peterb

The initial article seems to bear evidence of Sony's claim that the Exmor sensor they've developed yields images at higher ISO's with lower noise (compared with previous Sony cameras anyways).

While the 16 MP is certainly impressive I am wondering if with a lower concentration of pixel sites per cm2 whether the 14.2 A33 with it 3.9 MP/cm2 (vs 4.4 mp/cm2) may be the better camera of the two (although at these levels it may also be insignificant).

douglasf13

The initial article seems to bear evidence of Sony's claim that the Exmor sensor they've developed yields images at higher ISO's with lower noise (compared with previous Sony cameras anyways).

While the 16 MP is certainly impressive I am wondering if with a lower concentration of pixel sites per cm2 whether the 14.2 A33 with it 3.9 MP/cm2 (vs 4.4 mp/cm2) may be the better camera of the two (although at these levels it may also be insignificant).
It's tough to say, but more megapixels usually leverages the noise difference when you view the two images at the same size. ie. the more megapixels, more noise theory isn't usually applicable when it comes to actually printing or outputting jpegs for web.