The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New sony Cams (SLT A55/A33)... Interesting stuff

edwardkaraa

+1
I bought over a dozen of different adapters and most of what is sold on ebay is aluminum junk. The fit is lousy and the adapters are fragile. The best ones as I found are the Rayqual, built from one solid piece of brass. But they are expensive and not chipped, though I believe a chip can be added by the owner but I never tried that.

philip_pj

So we are all happy or should be, about Sony's alpha mount DSLR future;-)

I just got a look at the A55 with the new 24mm f2 on the LL review - it's tiny! 441 grams light, so what a great second camera to back up a big alpha with Sony's latest sensor - all for $750 release price...so it's not perfectly specced but is a very intelligent development by them - IMO.

So good to see a new entrant innovating like this and the NEX. I feel if a player produces 1-2 fabulous middle market cameras, it reflects on all their output - let's hope so, and maybe Zeiss's cagey statement about more lenses might bear fruit also.

That A55 sensor's pixel density will really stretch lenses, probably about equivalent to 40Mp in full frame...

roweraay

...and maybe Zeiss's cagey statement about more lenses might bear fruit also.
Actually the "cagey" statement about Zeiss lenses being developed for the e-mount, came from Masashi Imamura, the head of Sony's Imaging and Sound groups.

I would not be surprised to see some of those during Photokina.

waynelake

I might buy one... lol...

You can keep the 10fps though. To me, it says they're saying the AF is good... but 5 or 6 is I think enough...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...T_A55V_Alpha_DSLR_SLT_A55_Digital_Camera.html
Auto HDR Built Into Camera
Captures more scene dynamic range than a single exposure can handle-and more range than photo film. Combines the best highlight detail from one shot, the best mid-tones from a second and the best shadow detail from a third for one incredible shot. Captures in a split second. (Recommended for still subjects.)
Sweep Panorama Mode
Capture expansive landscapes automatically. Press the shutter and sweep vertically or horizontally. The camera does the rest, continuously shooting images and stitching them together. Up to 23 MP image size.
The auto HDR sounds interesting and I wonder how well it would be in twilight or night/city pictures... probably would not get the stars in the sky, but probably would get the mountains in background... and also the panorama mode. I bought a Minolta 20 2.8, hopefully good, hopefully great with panorama mode... lol... I like taking photos, but am no computor whizz... New Zealand $1300 or so body only...

Jim DE

I am near positive now that the a-55 will take the place of my Minolta 7D in October. My NEX 5 has made such an impression on me with its sensor that I am sure the a-55 will make a great complimenting camera to carry and use my A mount lenses on. I see the NEX with legacy lenses and the a-55 with alpha lenses as my mobile use equipment (with the NEX + adapter as backup for the alpha as well ;) )

The Minolta 7D has been a fine camera but at 6mp and with the weight with vertical grip it is dated and heavy equipment for carry use when other systems with great IQ are available today. Such as the a-55.

I see the a-33 is now available here in the USA but the a-55 still has a October introduction date. This will be after the show which will be great so that nothing new will go unnoticed before purchase time.

Jim DE

Anybody hearing any real deal breakers on the a-55 yet when using Minolta lenses or some issues that might be areas of concern. I have read something about "ghosting" but really didn't understand if it was just a viewfinder visible issue or if it was an image issue.

Also saw a blip about a undefined issue with using some Sigma lenses ....

For my needs .... if it produces IQ equal to or better than the NEX5 and can use my AF Minolta lenses and 5600 flash "off camera" I will be more than happy.

Terry

DPReview and Luminous Landscape both talk about ghosting in their review updates. It isn't a viewfinder issue it is an image issue. It has to do with the light going through the mirror. Both have said you can find it if you look hard but it is not something that is a deal breaker.

Jim DE

No matter how large the view Terry? I usually don't go over 8x10 or on screen views in presentations. You would think "ghosting" would kill IQ 100% of the time. Kinda like a very bad lens filters effect on film.

Thanks for the heads up Terry .... I read it but really only half understood.

My hope is someone on this site has gotten a a33 and has some feedback.

Mark K

I still do not have first hand experience on this wonderful toy.....coz lack of AF in Nex 5 really makes me to have an a55:p
:p:p:p:p:p:p

Terry

No matter how large the view Terry? I usually don't go over 8x10 or on screen views in presentations. You would think "ghosting" would kill IQ 100% of the time. Kinda like a very bad lens filters effect on film.

Thanks for the heads up Terry .... I read it but really only half understood.

My hope is someone on this site has gotten a a33 and has some feedback.
You can download full sized sample jpegs and there are some raws at DPReview and have a look.

Jerry_R

I saw some movies recorded with A55.
I can't imagine using AF only on maximum aperture...

Is it the only way of using AF?

Jim DE

Played with a a33 at sony style tonight ...... big mistake! Now, I am really impatient for the a55 to be introduced. Hope it is Oct 1st ;) and not Oct 31st :(

Almost walked out with the a33 and kit lens until I took a step back and said you don't need the lens and you want the a55 more so wait dummy!!! ;)

I'm sold on this camera now......

Eoin

I've sworn to myself that I wouldn't be buying any more camera equipment for a long time. And in all reality I've been true to myself, no cameras or lenses for over 18 months now.

Heck I've even resisted the NEX with all you guys showing excellent results from it.

But there comes a time when a line needs to be drawn, purely for video capability, you understand what I mean!. (self justification)

Since this camera was muted, I've been dreaming of adding video capture as another medium to record with my equipment without having to add too much extra.

So I've convinced myself this A55 is the way to go and as soon as it's released over here I'll be searching out the best deal and making the addition. I'm a bit miffed that AF only works with my SSM lenses given my two favorites 85 & 135 are not SSM.

Looking forward to playing with this soon, unless there is a rumor of a full frame Sony before the release date.

jonoslack

I've sworn to myself that I wouldn't be buying any more camera equipment for a long time. And in all reality I've been true to myself, no cameras or lenses for over 18 months now.

Heck I've even resisted the NEX with all you guys showing excellent results from it.
:ROTFL: I wish I could say the same - I've been a bad boy with small cameras, but it's ended up with my A900 and M9 doing all the work. (m4/3 and nex have been sold off).
The A55 really seems like a no-brainer for me - with a sony/zeiss 18-60 stuck on it most of the time, and access to the A900 lenses the rest.

If one could get one!

roweraay

I'm a bit miffed that AF only works with my SSM lenses given my two favorites 85 & 135 are not SSM. .
The AF works will ALL A-mount lenses, including 20-year old lenses. This is not an E-mount camera.

So you could be shooting video, with Phase-Detect AF and all, with a cheap little Minolta 50mm f/1.7. Your 85 and 135 ZA lenses should not have any problem whatsoever when it comes to AF with the A55. :)

roweraay

Now if someone made an adapter for my 4/3s lenses?
Your 4/3s lenses are built around a sensor that is 60% smaller than the 1.5x APS-C sensor that comes on the A55. So even if they built an adapter (highly unlikely), it simply will not be terribly useful.

Eoin

The AF works will ALL A-mount lenses, including 20-year old lenses. This is not an E-mount camera.

So you could be shooting video, with Phase-Detect AF and all, with a cheap little Minolta 50mm f/1.7. Your 85 and 135 ZA lenses should not have any problem whatsoever when it comes to AF with the A55. :)
Ahh!, I was getting confused with the Nex5 adapter for ZA lenses. Even better, 1 more excuse to buy the A55 :ROTFL:.

Thanks for the info.